Stop stealing from the uninformed NCL.

skeeter195

This misinformation on dining goes on other lines as well. Just got off the RCL Symphony 2 weeks ago with their Unlimited Dining Plan. The Teppanyaki restaurant tried to charge us a 30.00 up charge when the T & Cs clearly stated that the restaurant was included with no extra charges indicated. When I told the hostess that I had copies of the T&C with me and wanted to speak to the restaurant manager that quickly changed and we were not charged. When we showed up for our reservation and were sitting at the Teppanyaki table with others, the waiter started to explain to the table that there would be a 15.00 pp upcharge with the dining pkg. The hostess hurried over to the waiter pointed to us and whispered no not them. Everyone else was charged. People on the CC Royal board indicated they had not been charged on other ships. I think this charge was added by either the restaurant manager or the ship’s F&B officer to increase revenue. We will be on the Encore for NYE and will be eating in specialty restaurants the whole time. I will have my copy of the T&Cs with me although to be honest we have never been questioned or charged with multiple apps except once  in the original Bayamos and the matter was dropped immediately after I just said that was not in the T&C descriptions. Hope I don’t have any fights on our Encore Cruise.

Mary Ann

• Like 2

Told the story to hubby who immediately said “I’m going to order multiple apps now just because of this!”

How do you recommend we handle if we get the situation - the waitstaff who inform us at the beginning that it’s 1:1:1, or when we order multiple apps/sides/desserts they tell us there’s a charge?  Wait for the bill, or say we know better, and if they argue, just ask for the manager then and there and haul out the T&C’s?  To me, bringing along the platinum T&C’s is extra-convincing because they are very clear about what is included, so it should trump a gray area.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, erdoran said:

Told the story to hubby who immediately said “I’m going to order multiple apps now just because of this!”

How do you recommend we handle if we get the situation - the waitstaff who inform us at the beginning that it’s 1:1:1, or when we order multiple apps/sides/desserts they tell us there’s a charge?  Wait for the bill, or say we know better, and if they argue, just ask for the manager then and there and haul out the T&C’s?  To me, bringing along the platinum T&C’s is extra-convincing because they are very clear about what is included, so it should trump a gray area.

We've typically gotten it as soon as we sat down.  How annoying.

On 9/9/2019 at 4:13 PM, skeeter195 said:

First off let me say that we had a great time on the Escape last week for the most part.  Even arriving 6 hours late on Sunday due to Dorian was not a big deal.  We were kept up to speed with what was happening with our late arrival back in NY.  There are some things though that NCL really needs to change to not look so shady to their passengers. One of the biggest things is with the dining package.

I have read and know about how the specialty dining plan works.  I know about the one entree rule, etc.  I will sometimes order an extra app or salad and have never been charged, or if I am I just mention "their rules" about only one entree not apps or salad.  On September 2nd, our 30th wedding anniversary we ate at Bayamo.  We both ordered a salad, app and an entree, no dessert.  The server informed us that their would be an extra charge.  I was in no way going to argue or even bring up that there should be no charge as it was a special day.  The bill comes and we are charged an extra $22, I sign, leave my usual $20 tip and we go on with our night and will deal with the charge later in the cruise.  On September 5th we return to Bayamo and we order an app and salad again.  The server tells us again that there will be an extra charge.  Here is where I almost lose it.  I then very politely tell her that there should only be an extra charge for an extra entree.  She then says "oh you know about that", smiles, says that she is sorry and that they are told to tell, and charge everyone the extra.  We have our meal(which is awesome as usual) get the bill with NO up charge and leave.  I go to guest services the next day to pay down my onboard account with cash and ask to have the first Bayamo up charge removed.  I was told that the charge was correct.  I then pull out my receipts from both nights and show them that one night I was charged and one was not for the same things.  She makes a call and then tells me that the manager is going to make an exception for me this time.  I tell her that I do not want an exception I just want what is fair and the manager comes and speaks to me himself.   

My point here is if I did not know about and bring up that I know the rules with the dining plan that I would have been charged.  How many passengers are charged each week because they do not know to bring this up.  In my eyes this is stealing by NCL.  If you want to charge more, fine put it in writing.  Do not put the servers in an awkward position hoping that the guest does not know the rules.  It is extremely unfair to charge one person and not the other for the same thing.  

The companies sleaze is apparently rubbing off on the employees. 

18 hours ago, erdoran said:

Just say "that is not in the Terms and Conditions for the meal plan" and wait. They most likely won't even respond but you shouldn't be charged.  They are not there to fight with you, just to scare you into ordering the bare minimum.

Are these new T & C? The link in this thread didn't work so I Googled. Seems now charge for extra entrees in all but still no limits on sides::

Specialty Dining Packages (SDP) are available online for pre-sale or onboard during the first two days of the voyage. SDP is not available on 1 and 2-day sailings; On 3-day sailings SDP is for sale on day 1 only. No refunds available if not all meals are used. SDPs are personal and non-transferable. SDP does not include any beverages and additional main courses will incur charges. An SDP meal in Food Republic, Pincho, Sushi and Wasabi includes 4 menu items. A 20% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price. No SDP kids pricing available. We encourage guests to visit ncl.com/myncl to make dining reservations in advance. Reservations are not required but highly recommended for SDP guests, however, once onboard, reservations will be subject to availability. SDP meals can be enjoyed at American Diner, Cagney’s Steakhouse, Food Republic, Italian, Le Bistro, Los Lobos, Margaritaville at Sea, Moderno Churrascaria, Ocean Blue and Bayamo by Ocean Blue, Pincho Tapas Bar, Q Texas Smokehouse, Raw Bar, Sushi and Teppanyaki.

Dining options vary by ship. You may choose to use SDP meals in entertainment-based restaurants for an upcharge. SDP guests will be charged the following upcharges versus the full cover charge/a la carte price: Cirque Dreams (Epic, Getaway) - Standard Seating $10 - Premium Seating $15, Supper Club Cabaret (Escape) - $18, Velvet (Breakaway) - $10. When using the upcharge option, that meal will be deducted from the SDP. There will be a 20% gratuity charge on all SDP entertainment-based restaurants. Venues/Events not included in SDP include: Room Service, Mini Bar, District Brewhouse, The Bake Shop, Coco’s, O’ Sheehan’s Ice Cream Bar, Gelato, Special Occasion/Holiday menus (e.g. New Year’s Eve, Christmas), Jazz Brunch, Wine Lovers and Murder Mystery lunches.