Stop stealing from the uninformed NCL.

skeeter195

23 minutes ago, phissy said:

We just came off the Bliss.  Was told the same thing OP states. In all specially restaurants. When I questioned only 1 app, they confirmed. I reminded them of printed SDP policy. "Oh, you know about that ?"

Then we were allowed to order soup and salad with dinner, with no up charge.   Sad, but, NCL is quietly changing.  "nickels and dimes to dollars."

The t&c of sdp changed recently.

It no longer says unlimited apps.

But it also doesn't say the limits of apps/dessert either.

It only says 1 entree and extra one will be charged full price.

Edited by fstuff1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

It never said unlimited apps. The bit about 1 entree only is always all it has said.

• Like 1

The inconsistency of what passengers are told at different restaurants on the same ship---even during the same cruise (!)---is curious to say the least.

I sailed the Escape from 8/25-9/1 with my wife and son (my wife and I had the SDP, my son did not). The three of us all dined at Cagney's and Moderno, and it was only my wife and me at Bayamo. Our experiences with the SDP:

Cagney's: We were told that the SDP holders are limited to 1-1-1 (or was it 1-1-1-1, I don't remember). We were asked if our son would be ordering off the childrens' menu. We told our server that he would be ordering a steak off the Cagney's menu and we understood that we'd have to pay the a la carte price. The server then proceeds to tell us that if my son would like a starter or a side it would be "no problem". I think that she was clearly implying that she wouldn't charge for a starter/side my son ordered.

So, an SDP holder is entitled to 1-1-1-1, but my 11-year old son who was paying a la carte is entitled to "complimentary" sides. Interesting.

Bayamo: We were given the same 1-1-1 introduction to our meal. I ordered two appetizers. I was not charged.

Moderno: I told the maitre d' that my wife and I had the SDP, and our son would be ordering from the childrens' menu. The maitre d' said if my son wants to eat the passed around meats or try the salad bar, that's no problem at all.

While I certainly appreciate the gestures offered in Cagney's and Moderno, why tell me I'm limited to 1-1-1 and then offer to give my son free food? It just all seems silly to me.

I wish that NCL would just establish 100% unambiguously clear T&Cs for the SDP, inform all restaurant staff what they are, and simply stick to it. But that's me, I like to be presented with "rules". I don't want to have to guess or read between the lines. If I don't like the rules, I'll take my business elsewhere.

• Like 1

There have been many discussions about what people have been told they can have with the SDP. In that aspect, this discussion is identical to all the others. People are told completely contradictory things by the staff.

However, we are straying from the point of the thread, which is that the OP says they were actually charged for extra courses. This is the thing which is potentially a policy change. We should really be concentrating on that. We know that they state random things, but what they actually do is more relevant.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Interestingly, I have sailed using the dining package over the last 4 cruises with NCL....most recently on the Escape last June.  I've always ordered whatever I wanted.  Not once did I have any uncharge, for anything.  I've seen the Ts & Cs and I've read different experiences on CC.  But, they've never charged me for two entres or for surf and turf (with Lobster) or anything else at any venue for that matter.

Guess I'm lucky.

On our last cruise we ate at Cagney's and I mentioned to the server how much I loved the crab cake appetizer as she was clearing the table to bring the next course.  When she brought out that next course, she also brought me a plate with not one but TWO more crab cakes!  Between the four of us we scarfed them down quickly.   A few minutes later she took that plate away and mentioned something about much we must have enjoyed them.  On her next trip to the table she brought yet ANOTHER TWO crab cakes!  We ate every bite.  In total the four of us ate the following.

Three shrimp cocktails.
Seven crab cakes.
Two bowls of lobster bisque.
Four salads.
Four entrees.
Eight sides.
Three desserts.

No upcharge at all.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

The wording on the T&C is interesting. It currently says, “Specialty Dining Packages include one main course per person at Cagney’s and Le Bistro restaurants. Additional main courses will be charged at the a la carte price listed on the menu..”.  They only specify Cagney’s and LeBistro for one main per person.   One would assume that the others are unlimited.   (Let’s not give the legal team a heads up 😉)

Edited by phissy

28 minutes ago, phissy said:

The wording on the T&C is interesting. It currently says, “Specialty Dining Packages include one main course per person at Cagney’s and Le Bistro restaurants. Additional main courses will be charged at the a la carte price listed on the menu..”.  They only specify Cagney’s and LeBistro for one main per person.   One would assume that the others are unlimited.   (Let’s not give the legal team a heads up 😉)

Does anyone have a way to list a link to NCL's site where I can read the rules (and then I will cut & paste to take with me)?  TIA

11 minutes ago, Jasonmom said:

Does anyone have a way to list a link to NCL's site where I can read the rules (and then I will cut & paste to take with me)?  TIA

Go to the home page for NCL.  click on current promotions .   click on specialty dining, at bottom is link for Terms and Conditions.  Then Terms and Conditions, for each promotion, comes up. Scroll down to Specialty Dining. It specifies things like length of cruise and number of dinners etc.   . 

ncl.com/termsandconditions/promotions

Edited by phissy

53 minutes ago, Jasonmom said:

8 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

I'm confused. Normally SDP covers 4 menu options (even in like Sushi and Wasabi). Guests should only be charged for an additional entree. Are you saying because you ordered a salad and an appetizer they tried to charge your more? Since you didn't get dessert you are still under the four item from both the FAQ and T&Cs.

If what I'm understanding is happening then that is super shady. Especially if it is coming from Management. Is there a possibility it is written some place that the meal is Appetizer, Soup or Salad, an Entree and Dessert? If so, I can't find it...

@Jasonmom - look in the quote above for the FAQ & T&Cs link - JennyB1977 posted them earlier...

I have only been given “limits” in Cagney’s  on both the Breakaway and Getaway. Both times I responded “that is not in the terms and conditions”. I ordered what I wanted and was not charged. On the Getaway the waiter made a point to mention the extra cost of the cappuccino I ordered, which I always order and have never been charged) then said he had comped it when presenting the bill. I assume that was a clear attempt at a bigger tip. Sorry dude.

https://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

Slightly different info - Disneylover’s link says fewer restaurants (e.g. not Food Republic); mine has a longer list.  It doesn’t specifically address WHAT you can get as far as multiple appies, etc but it does say “additional MAIN COURSES will incur a charge”.  

I am going on my first cruise in December (Joy, Dec 8, Mexico), and have to say informing passengers something different than the terms and conditions is concerning to say the least.  Why don't they just enforce what is part of the conditions???  Stuff like this will make my first ever cruise, my last!  

Edited by nyc2pdx

I am going on my first cruise in December (Joy, Dec 8, Mexico), and have to say informing passengers something different than the terms and conditions is concerning to say the least.  Why don't they just enforce what is part of the conditions???  Stuff like this will make my first ever cruise, my last! 

This was my point from my first post.  New cruisers or cruisers who do not read CC or even the terms and conditions of the dining package may be taken advantage of(stealing) by NCL.  

This whole problem is a lose-lose-win situation.  The passengers lose if they miss out on something extra that they might want to eat.  Or they miss out if they have to argue a point with a server.  The servers lose when they have to try and enforce a rule that they may know is wrong.  They also lose if their tip is reduced because of this.  Who wins?  NCL.  If one out of ten dinners are charged extra then that only increases the bottom line for that cruise.  It may hurt NCL by losing future cruisers but the way the ships are selling out I doubt NCL cares.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, phissy said:

We just came off the Bliss.  Was told the same thing OP states. In all specially restaurants. When I questioned only 1 app, they confirmed. I reminded them of printed SDP policy. "Oh, you know about that ?"

Then we were allowed to order soup and salad with dinner, with no up charge.   Sad, but, NCL is quietly changing.  "nickels and dimes to dollars."

It stinks when you go to a nice leisurely dinner and the very first thing is they tell you about limits.  Then you have to go into....Fight,...for your right,...to another appy!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nyc2pdx said:

Because the job descriptions for key staff mention duties about cost control even for those in the food area.  My guess is someone thought it would be one way to do that and now four years later the idea has made the way around the fleet.

Like I said earlier, when we first had this happen in 2015 people told me I was making it up.  It has slow played until roughly the last two years where many will say they encountered it.

This reminds me of the “water game” that I read about here years ago, and actually experienced a couple of times.  When the waitstaff would offer you water, you assume (naturally) that it’s free—ummm....not so fast!  They’d pour it out of a mineral water bottle and if you complained they’d say “the bottle is already open” and you’d get charged.  I learned real fast to say “tap water” AND keep a lookout before my water got poured.

It’s really a shame this happens.  The platinum dinners are very clear about what is included, and there’s really no arguing (on either side) about that.  Comparing the SDP language to platinum IMHO if those same restrictions aren’t there, then it is NOT a gray area at all, and I do think it’s wrong to charge (or to limit people).

16 hours ago, phissy said:

Go to the home page for NCL.  click on current promotions .   click on specialty dining, at bottom is link for Terms and Conditions.  Then Terms and Conditions, for each promotion, comes up. Scroll down to Specialty Dining. It specifies things like length of cruise and number of dinners etc.   . 

ncl.com/termsandconditions/promotions

15 hours ago, Von & John said:

@Jasonmom - look in the quote above for the FAQ & T&Cs link - JennyB1977 posted them earlier...

14 hours ago, disneylover89 said:

Thanks.  I had read this page off of JennyB1977's post, but guess I missed it first time around.  Again, thanks.

• Like 2

For me, as a first time cruiser to be, I purchased the specialty dining package so I didn’t have to worry about nickel and diming at dinner. I hadn’t considered more than one app or dessert, but the fact they allow this to be done was a cool cherry on top and fell right into the the worry free experience I wanted. I don’t want to think about it when I am on vacation!  I would be very annoyed if I saw a charge for an extra app on my bill and had to spend my vacation time fighting it. 

On 9/9/2019 at 10:13 AM, skeeter195 said:

First off let me say that we had a great time on the Escape last week for the most part.  Even arriving 6 hours late on Sunday due to Dorian was not a big deal.  We were kept up to speed with what was happening with our late arrival back in NY.  There are some things though that NCL really needs to change to not look so shady to their passengers. One of the biggest things is with the dining package.

I have read and know about how the specialty dining plan works.  I know about the one entree rule, etc.  I will sometimes order an extra app or salad and have never been charged, or if I am I just mention "their rules" about only one entree not apps or salad.  On September 2nd, our 30th wedding anniversary we ate at Bayamo.  We both ordered a salad, app and an entree, no dessert.  The server informed us that their would be an extra charge.  I was in no way going to argue or even bring up that there should be no charge as it was a special day.  The bill comes and we are charged an extra $22, I sign, leave my usual $20 tip and we go on with our night and will deal with the charge later in the cruise.  On September 5th we return to Bayamo and we order an app and salad again.  The server tells us again that there will be an extra charge.  Here is where I almost lose it.  I then very politely tell her that there should only be an extra charge for an extra entree.  She then says "oh you know about that", smiles, says that she is sorry and that they are told to tell, and charge everyone the extra.  We have our meal(which is awesome as usual) get the bill with NO up charge and leave.  I go to guest services the next day to pay down my onboard account with cash and ask to have the first Bayamo up charge removed.  I was told that the charge was correct.  I then pull out my receipts from both nights and show them that one night I was charged and one was not for the same things.  She makes a call and then tells me that the manager is going to make an exception for me this time.  I tell her that I do not want an exception I just want what is fair and the manager comes and speaks to me himself.   

My point here is if I did not know about and bring up that I know the rules with the dining plan that I would have been charged.  How many passengers are charged each week because they do not know to bring this up.  In my eyes this is stealing by NCL.  If you want to charge more, fine put it in writing.  Do not put the servers in an awkward position hoping that the guest does not know the rules.  It is extremely unfair to charge one person and not the other for the same thing.  

Bayamo and Ocean Blue have been an upcharges for a while.  This is nothing new.  There are certain items on Cagney's and Le Bistro that are upcharges...