MDR vs. Tuscan Grille 1st night - Equinox

mattyboy

5 minutes ago, mattyboy said:

Received a 30 % discount offer for Tuscan Grill for first night but I think I've read that MDR menu is very good the 1st night - looking for thoughts and opinions.

MDR is typically Prime Rib on the first night. It's good but I've also done Tuscan with the discount. Depends on if you really want to dine in Tuscan during your cruise, you may get a discount on a different night but might not be 30%. I'd personally pick Murano (actually did that on Equinox a few years ago) on the first night especially if they are offering that discount as well.

Edited by snyniew

It isn’t just about the food it is also about service and ambience. The MDR is always a bit chaotic first night....servers don’t know your water, drink, food preferences. New cruisers may want explanations of menu....

We always dine in Tuscan first night.  There is just something so magical about looking at the wake view.  Sometimes we are lucky enough to see port or ship lights in the distance....we know at last we are at sea. We will slowly sip our first drink, peruse the menu we know very well and just switch into cruise mode....

We board soon, yes we are booked in...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattyboy said:

Received a 30 % discount offer for Tuscan Grill for first night but I think I've read that MDR menu is very good the 1st night - looking for thoughts and opinions.

Go for the MDR for the menu.  Nice choices the first night.   We have not been impressed with the revised menu at Tuscan Grill.  

26 minutes ago, chemmo said:

It isn’t just about the food it is also about service and ambience. The MDR is always a bit chaotic first night....servers don’t know your water, drink, food preferences. New cruisers may want explanations of menu....

We always dine in Tuscan first night.  There is just something so magical about looking at the wake view.  Sometimes we are lucky enough to see port or ship lights in the distance....we know at last we are at sea. We will slowly sip our first drink, peruse the menu we know very well and just switch into cruise mode....

We board soon, yes we are booked in...

Yep, it’s way more than just the food as you state, the service and ambience in somewhere like Murano is on a different level to the MDR. You are also given far more space and are not two inches away from the next table.

I like doing that the first night.... Tuscan grill is not crowded... set you dinner time to be around sunset and get a table by the window. MDR tends to be a bit hectic the first night... I like to let it settle down a bit. Now I love Murano... but you can't beat the sunset looking aft as you sail away from port.

16 hours ago, spencerdrivecruiser said:

The best meal on the cruise is the first night in the MDR.  Ask for an American Cut on the Prime Rib and it will be amazing.  I wouldn't trade for  Tuscan if it was free.

Hello,

What is the difference if we ask for an American Cut ? 

Thanks

sea ya

Eric

Eric,   When i asked for a larger piece of Prime Rib the Waiter said, Oh you want the American Cut.  He said there is a Queens Cut, English Cut, Kings Cut.   Have really no clue of the differences but I did receive a bigger piece than my wife.

Edited by spencerdrivecruiser

1 hour ago, CoconutOne said:

I must be unlucky, but the first night in the MDR has never been very good.

Personally we don’t find any night in the MDR very good, noisy, on top of the next table, rushed staff who don’t have a minute to actually converse, it’s more like a McDonalds these days.

3 hours ago, spencerdrivecruiser said:

Eric,   When i asked for a larger piece of Prime Rib the Waiter said, Oh you want the American Cut.  He said there is a Queens Cut, English Cut, Kings Cut.   Have really no clue of the differences but I did receive a bigger piece than my wife.

So you received a piece that was larger that the piece your wife got or you got a REALLY BIG piece that was larger than your wife? What was that Godzilla size? :)