Cruise Vacation Packing List / To Do List Prior to Leaving

KD Travel Adventures

• 3 weeks later...

One or two issues with the list posted by hawkeyefan99:

1.  The list suggests bringing your own hair dryer as the ones on the ships are not powerful enough.  Folks you are not allowed to bring your own hair dryers, and there is a reason.  Some hair dryers draw too much current and can cause a fire.  Most lines will not let you bring your own on board, but if you are lucky enough to get it on board, DO NOT USE IT.  The biggest danger on a ship is not sinking, it is fire.  Do you really think your hair dryer is important enough to endanger the lives of other passengers?  Bottom line, DO NOT BRING YOUR OWN HAIR DRYER.

2.  Another thing we have done is to install and easy-to-use water shut off to shut off the water in the house.  We happen to have an irrigation system, so the water shut off is on the other side of that so that the irrigation system keeps our flowers and plants watered, but prevents a major leak in the house.  You could also turn off the water, and then open a faucet on the lowest level to drain most of the water out of the house.  We don't usually go that far, but we prevent a major leak by stopped the flow.

4 hours ago, bbwex said:

DO NOT BRING YOUR OWN HAIR DRYER.

I've only cruised maybe ten times on a variety of lines and have always taken my hairdryer.  And I did a super quick google just now and see now problem with it.  Are you perhaps confusing it with irons?

9 hours ago, bbwex said:

Bottom line, DO NOT BRING YOUR OWN HAIR DRYER.

Horse hockey. I'm not aware of a single mass market cruiseline that bans personal hair appliances. At worst they'll trip a circuit breaker. I always bring my own hair dryer and have never had a problem. I've never seen hair dryers on any banned item list.

What CAN cause a fire, and is therefore banned, are extension cords with surge suppressors. 

• Like 1

Well then I may stand corrected.  I have always been informed that you cannot bring your own hairdryers, and that the line might have a somewhat better one if you ask, but they were to supply them. 

I was under impression hair dryers are a no no. I checked the Carnival web site under prohibited items and nothing about dryers. Just any thing that could start a fire, irons, hotplates, candles. Learned something new on CC.

• 2 weeks later...

Another item of note:

If you have prescription medications they MUST be in the original packaging to cross borders.  A day or 2 in a pill container might be okay but anything longer than that must be in a pharmacy issued container with the label on it.

1 hour ago, Oscar13 said:

Another item of note:

If you have prescription medications they MUST be in the original packaging to cross borders.  A day or 2 in a pill container might be okay but anything longer than that must be in a pharmacy issued container with the label on it.

Baloney.

I take daily meds and have visited 149 countries.  I have NEVER been asked about my meds.  I carry them in daily pill organizer.

That said, if I were taking something seriously controlled (narcotic, opiods, etc), I WOULD have them in the original bottle and with a letter from my doctor.  And I would not be carrying more than the duration of my trip, plus a few days extra.

• Thanks 2

The video mentioned liquids. Liquids are OK and not limited to 3oz in carry on when boarding the ship. It is the airports that restrict this. Same for scissors. After all, your checked luggage is delivered to your cabin, so you end up with the liquids or scissors in the cabin one way or another.

I would add: Stop mail delivery.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2019 at 3:35 PM, SRF said:

Baloney.

I take daily meds and have visited 149 countries.  I have NEVER been asked about my meds.  I carry them in daily pill organizer.

That said, if I were taking something seriously controlled (narcotic, opiods, etc), I WOULD have them in the original bottle and with a letter from my doctor.  And I would not be carrying more than the duration of my trip, plus a few days extra.

Ditto!  I was just about to reply when I saw yours.  I've only been to about 50 countries so you get first dibs 🙂

I just happen to have a GREAT job if you like to travel.

OTOH, take a map of the world and color every country Red or Green. Green meaning I want to visit there.  And Red meaning, I don't want to visit there.   See the ratio. 😄

• Like 1

On 10/24/2019 at 7:39 AM, SRF said:

I just happen to have a GREAT job if you like to travel.

OTOH, take a map of the world and color every country Red or Green. Green meaning I want to visit there.  And Red meaning, I don't want to visit there.   See the ratio. 😄

What about a third color (overlapping) of countries you've visited?

• Like 1

I have a map in my cube at work.  I have colored pins based on where I have been.  Whether I have been once, twice or 3+ times.  Whether I have been for work or just for personal travel, and for places I am scheduled (work) to travel to.  And those, whether it will be the first time to do, or second or more.

My map has a LOT of pins. 😄

All that said, I have enjoyed my visits to most places.  Most of the world the people are nice.  Interesting food.  

A few less due to little things. I am in Mauritania right now, and the hotel is not back, but the internet is HORRIBLE. 🙂  Yeah, first world problem. 😄

• 2 weeks later...

i've brought my flat iron on board without a problem. my mom cruised w/ me once and her hair dryer was taken. i used the one provided. it takes longer than mine and when you have waist length thick hair, blowing drying m hair at home takes about 30 min. but i would rather have space in my luggage for other things.  since i shower and wash my hair before dinner, i often go to dinner when slightly wet hair.

On 10/14/2019 at 2:16 PM, Oscar13 said:

Another item of note:

My husband has never had a problem bringing prescription meds in non pharmacy packaging, on any cruise or when we cross the border when flying from Canada to the USA. 

• Like 1

Many years ago I was on a bus crossing the border into Canada.Presumably because of my physical appearance ,shoulder long hair and a very long beard I was chosen from all the passengers who have my luggage thoroughly examined.When they found a small jar with white powder they thought I was trying to bring drugs into my favorite country on the planet aside from the US but alas all they had was a guy with Coffee Mate.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/2/2019 at 7:27 PM, clo said:

I've only cruised maybe ten times on a variety of lines and have always taken my hairdryer.  And I did a super quick google just now and see now problem with it.  Are you perhaps confusing it with irons?

clo: bad girl!   
Fire hazzard!

No confusion here; it's not about the heat created by the appliance (though that is certainly an issue) but about the amount of electricity they consume and how that can heat up the hidden wiring that leads to the socket you are using. You may also get arcing (sparks or heat) where the plug meets the socket.
Electricity is used to create, basically, three things: light (e.g. a neon tube), movement (e.g. a vacuum cleaner) and heat (e.g. a kettle). By far, the most electricity is consumed by the third category. In spades. Have you ever seen a battery powered stove or kettle (another no-no to take cruising)? And a hair dryer is both heat and movement - a lot of current.

You may wish to check with your cruise line. I know a lot of them provide their own dryers in cabins, which are matched to the wiring and the wiring (and fuses) are matched to them.

Edited by Canuker

4 minutes ago, Canuker said:

Here endeth the lesson (sorry, clo!).

Except you're wrong 🙂  (sorry, Canuker).

Hair Dryer – On most ships, the cabin will be equipped with a hair dryer, a shampoo dispenser in the shower, a safe with free, coded access and hangers in the closet. ... If you must bring a hair dryer, make sure it is less than 700 watts. Most travel hair dryers will qualify for that limit.

Canuker: please provide a list of cruise lines that list hairdryers on their list of banned items. I've sailed on numerous lines, and while they ban appliances that generate heat like irons, steamers, kettles etc, they have all exempted hair appliances. I would be fascinated to see your list of lines that run counter to this.

• Like 3

On 11/14/2019 at 3:01 PM, Canuker said:

clo: bad girl!   
Fire hazzard!

No confusion here; it's not about the heat created by the appliance (though that is certainly an issue) but about the amount of electricity they consume and how that can heat up the hidden wiring that leads to the socket you are using. You may also get arcing (sparks or heat) where the plug meets the socket.
Electricity is used to create, basically, three things: light (e.g. a neon tube), movement (e.g. a vacuum cleaner) and heat (e.g. a kettle). By far, the most electricity is consumed by the third category. In spades. Have you ever seen a battery powered stove or kettle (another no-no to take cruising)? And a hair dryer is both heat and movement - a lot of current.

You may wish to check with your cruise line. I know a lot of them provide their own dryers in cabins, which are matched to the wiring and the wiring (and fuses) are matched to them.

If the hair dryer draws more amperage than the wiring and socket are rated for, the circuit breaker should trip and shut off the power.

Hair dryers are rated in Watts.  Watts is power.  And it equal to voltage times amps.  So a 1200 watt hair dryer draws no more power than a 1200 watt kettle.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was under the impression that hair dryers were not permitted on NCL cruises!  I swear I read that on my last cruise.  However; I just pulled up NCLs prohibited items list and hair dyers are not on there!

• 1. All illegal narcotics/drugs. (Including Marijuana prescribed for medical purposes and other items used as drug paraphernalia. This includes Hookah Pipes).
  • 2. All firearms including replicas, imitations, non-firing weapons, starting pistols and their components
  • 3. Air, BB or pellet pistols or rifles
  • 4. Any other projectile-weapon or item that resembles or can be mistaken as a firearm (e.g., paint ball guns)
  • 5. All ammunition or replica ammunition for listed line items 2, 3 & 4
  • 6. All explosives, component parts (i.e. detonators) including imitation explosives and devices
  • 7. Fireworks, flares, and pyrotechnics
  • 8. Martial Arts Weapons (i.e. throwing stars, flails)
  • 9. Knives with a blade longer than 4 inches/10.16 cm
  • 10. Open razors
  • 11. Swords, Skean Dhus, or Kirpans
  • 12. Spears or spear guns
  • 13. Crossbows, crossbow bolts, and long bow arrows
  • 14. Blunt weapons including knuckle dusters, brass knuckles, clubs, telescopic batons, batons, flails or nunchaku
  • 15. Items containing incapacitating substances (e.g. gas guns, tear gas sprays, mace, phosphorus, acid and other dangerous chemicals that could be used to maim or disable
  • 16. Restraining Devices (i.e. handcuffs, leg, and head restraining straps)
  • 17. Flammable substances and hazardous chemicals. (e.g., petrol, methylated spirits, paint thinners, lighter fuel, etc.)
  • 18. Any other item made, adapted or intended for use as an offensive weapon
  • 19. Stun devices (i.e. Tazers and Stun Guns)
  • 20. Large batteries
  • 21. Items brought on board the vessel and not supplied by the Company containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to: immersion heaters, heating blankets, clothing irons, water heaters, coffee machines with heating/hot plates, etc.
  • 22. Any remotely controlled or autonomously flying devices, toys or drones
  • 23. Self-balancing hover boards, air wheels, scooters, or Segway’s
  • 24. Compressed gas tanks, bottles, cylinders including dive tanks, propane tanks and large aerosol cans
  • 25. Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), ham radios, satellite phones, transformers, lasers and laser pointers
  • 26. Any form of radio/ telephone signal jamming equipment
  • 27. Samsung Note 7
  • 28. Candles