Is Nassau Safe?

roseysalm

Hello fellow royal members! Since hurricane Dorian a lot of refugees are in Nassau and we have a cruise this week that is going there: we have a shore excursion and our family is saying we should cancel and stay on the cruise because it’s not safe.....any thoughts?

You are unlikely to even see an actual refugee from the other islands.  Tourist area is pretty built up and any refugees are going to be elsewhere on the island.

While we think the Straw Market is a bit too pushy for us, it doesn't stop us from going anywhere in Nassau.  The Bahamas economy really needs you to spend money there right now.

• Like 1

I went all over on foot with no problems. Fort Charlotte, Fort Fincastle,  the queen's staircase, john watlings distillery, junkanoo beach....The only problem I had is I was almost hit by a car crossing the street to Junkanoo Beach. The people were fine. I was wearing one of those funny t-shirts telling people not to hassle me and people laughed at it. Nobody bothered me.

I'm going back in December. This time I'm going to hit paradise island since I didn't make it over there last time.

But yeah if you want a nice cheap excursion, go out on your own in Nassau. I probably spent 2 or 3 dollars touring each fort and everything else i did was free including a tour/tasting at John Watlings. Their pina colada is really good. I did take a cab out to Fort Montagu but that wasn't worth it.

https://saintgregtravel.com/i-have-a-dream-nassau/

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2019 at 12:46 PM, atush said:

i used to live in nassau.

Not sure what Freeport is like these days, but the abacos were a fairly nice and gentle place. So not sure i'd be afraid of the homeless refugees.

Eh, you probably weren't hanging out at the shanty towns when visiting the abacos. The wealthy elites are not a large contingent of the refugees. 

We were in Nassau on Saturday.  The people of the Bahamas are lovely.  We took the bus to Breezes and back and then walked to Graycliff to buy chocolates and cigars.  At no time did we feel unsafe (except maybe from cars).

Use common sense like you would anywhere else.  Don't go off the beaten path, don't carry a lot of valuables.  And maybe have a little compassion for the people who lost everything they have and their families in Nassau instead of suspecting them of being criminals.

Edited by CruisinCrow
  • Like 1

i walked around by myself at 8 a.m. to sightsee.  wasn't bothered by anyone and felt safe the whole time.  walked over to queens staircase, gregory's arch, the post office, etc.  yes, the cab drivers are pushy by the gate but just say no thank you and keep walking.  then in afternoon my hubby and me walked over to Junkaroo Beach.  

• Like 1

On 9/18/2019 at 5:40 AM, atush said:

Well i wasnt a weathy elite, and i have been to shanty towns in Nassau.  I was on a darts team.

So Eh, have you lived there?

Lived there?  No.  Have friends who are Bahamian?  Yes.  Spent a considerable amount of time in both Abaco/Green Turtle and Nassau?  Yes, and still do.  Well, not Abaco at the moment.  Abaco, which you seem unaware, actually had several Haitian refugee shanty towns.