Port Botany cruise terminal

Chiliburn

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

I lived in the Matraville area (2 km from Port Botany) in the mid-late 1960's when the Port Botany Container Terminal was thought of and being planned. There was huge opposition from adjoining councils and residents, but industry won, when you see what is there now.  Just chuck in a cruise ship terminal and all will be complete.

Yes I agree.

Even for quick fix they could have a check in somewhere else,even a factory or a corner of the airport  in botany and have a secure shuttle service into the container terminal and onto the ship.

They do it in Noumea and other ports.

It’s not the most glamorous of departure and then the ship could return from circular quay with that wow

If they alternate the ships back and forth passengers would get one look at the harbour.

I think Royal Caribbean And Carnival would kick in a few bucks.

Edited by Chiliburn

I think some of these options would be worth exploring further.

Buenos Aires have you check in and then drive for 20 mins in shuttles to get to the ship through the container port.

A cruise out of the US had us check in at San Diego and then shuttled (coaches) down to Ensenada Mexico.

I know Sydney airport is congested enough but a check in area associated with the airport would have everything ready to go.

Security,baggage handling,check in ,hotels,transport.

Usually the airport is quiter from 11:00-3:00 perfect for cruise check in.

Just add some coaches and a 20 minute drive to the container terminal .

Edited by Chiliburn

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

I know Sydney airport is congested enough but a check in area associated with the airport would have everything ready to go.

Not sure the airport would work, but no shortage of buildings nearby that could be utilised.

20 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

The airort wont be there forever....arent they building a new one ?

6 years before it opens,

On the subject of the new airport, Here’s one for you ,they were toying with the idea of a circular runway.TRUE

As stupid as it sounds ,it supposed to be a genius of a idea.

It was a runway a little like a speedway where the sides are banked and kilometres wide, with a terminal in the middle.

A plane can take off and land in any direction.

But it would cost to much.

Edited by Chiliburn

23 minutes ago, cruiselover53 said:

They will be using both. Kingsford Smith is here to stay

People (tourists) will mainly prefer to fly into Kingsford Smith, Sydney siders may prefer the new one if they live in the western, southwestern or northwestern suburbs.

Just now, MicCanberra said:

People (tourists) will mainly prefer to fly into Kingsford Smith, Sydney siders may prefer the new one if they live in the western, southwestern or northwestern suburbs.

Agree 

A long haul flight and then another hour or more into Sydney .

8 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Will never happen.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

It would need to be a looping tube for the debark as well.

Well I’m thinking a green slide for passengers going and a red slide for passengers stopping.

And graham could have a security check half way along,(just to get him in on the idea)

Edited by Chiliburn

12 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Well I’m thinking a green slide for passengers going and a red slide for passengers stopping.

And graham could have a security check half way along,(just to get him in on the idea)

It would be a real long red carpet for young Graham to lay from Sydney Airport to Port Botany  for Mr Gut and the other 'spethial' CC'ers.   😮

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

It would be a real long red carpet for young Graham to lay from Sydney Airport to Port Botany  for Mr Gut and the other 'spethial' CC'ers.   😮

Uncle Les , I don’t think graham is very positive about the idea.

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I think Gbenjo would prefer to just work out of the OPT for the rest of his working life.

No .... happy to go anywhere and a new terminal will not eventuate for at least two or three years and  I will/ should be " retired " by then anyway. Cruise lines pretty much set and book their schedules and ports a couple of years in advance and I cannot see them wanting to use an " off site" facility for check ins etc, the logistics are just too involved. They could  do the odd Newcastle or Wollongong turn but until the new terminal is built they will probably just pretty much maintain the status quo.

43 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Yeah, most likely nothing would have changed,  in 4 years time we will still be talking about how Sydney can't cope with all the ships that want to come here., 

I think Botany Bay will go ahead once they " sort out" the objections / objectors. ( $$$$$$)..... give it 12 - 18 months and then the build.