Royal Eliminates Neighborhood Balcony Perks

ValerieJo

23 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

If people really want to make a statement about this, they will stop cruising with Royal Caribbean.  I wonder how many will do this.  I would guess practically none.

Well, I would love to cancel my 4 cabins for June on Harmony but 14 people would be a cancellation fee of $1400. That would be painful.

Sherri😠

13 minutes ago, sjb317 said:

Well, I would love to cancel my 4 cabins for June on Harmony but 14 people would be a cancellation fee of $1400. That would be painful.

Sherri😠

I can definitely understand.  But after that cruise, will you be cruising with Royal Caribbean again?

3 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I can definitely understand.  But after that cruise, will you be cruising with Royal Caribbean again?

Unfortunately, we have 2 more cruises with Royal that are past final payment date.  Not sure we will continue to cruise with Royal after those.

Sherri😠

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tinkertwo said:

What response did you get?  I'm wondering if your wording was the same as my original response.

This was the response (word by word).

Me: OK I have 2 booking with RCI one with Symphony which will be in 24 days and Oasis of the Seas in August 2020. Just find down that my Oasis room perk will be removed. Why? I booked when it was included and that is one of the reason we book this room Boardwalk Balcony for the Soda package. I need your explanations. 

RCI: I'm very sorry for any disappointment this has caused,  We're always re-evaluating our offerings and after reviewing feedback from our guests, we’ve made the decision to discontinue this program. Many guests weren’t even using the features, as they have other items they selected that overlapped with the few benefits. Since you booked this stateroom on Oasis before we made this announcement today, we'll be issuing you a $50.00 onboard credit as a gesture of goodwill. -Yami

Me: The soda package for 2 people is around $140 and not even include other perks we supposed to receive burgers meal for 4 at JR and rock climbing wall session. This is false advertisement. Wow $50 not even enough to pay for one Soda package.

RCI: I understand where you're coming from. Please know it wasn't our intention to make you feel this way.

Me: This room cost more than window view so I I were know that will not include perks I will just book Ocean view stateroom.

RCIYou can definitely change your stateroom. Please keep in mind, it'll be at the prevailing rate.

Me:  Funny when I booked the price of every staterooms was cheaper. If RCI can give me the price shown the date I booked then I will change. Why don't stop giving the perk today the announcement come out. At the time of booking, RCI offered the room with perks.

RCI: Unfortunately, we won't be honoring any previous rates. I'm really sorry about that.

• Like 1

Do we honestly believe that RCI is the only cruise line that is cutting back on perks? 

We cruise Celebrity,  MSC,  NCL, Princess and RCI. They are all cutting back. 

Does that make it right? NO!

Should you stop cruising that line? 

That is your choice. 

In the past 2 years we have seen cut backs on all lines. They all know what they can do to cut back and what we will do. They know we can do nothing to stop the cut backs.

Examples:

Celebrity free in cabin movies. 

MSC Black card free Specialty Restaurant meal from 1/BC member to 1/cabin.

NCL charging for a Shrimp Cocktail when it was free with dining pkg.

I'm sure there are more examples. 

However,  we still cruise and you will,  too.

Happy Cruising! 

3 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Do we honestly believe that RCI is the only cruise line that is cutting back on perks? 

That is your choice. 

In the past 2 years we have seen cut backs on all lines. They all know what they can do to cut back and what we will do. They know we can do nothing to stop the cut backs.

Examples:

Happy Cruising! 

Celebrity reinstated free in cabin movies

• Like 2

I just got off the phone with RCI, I was told that no more OBC would be added to my account, only the original $50. They are looking  at it on an individual basis!?!

When I first called, the guy I spoke to didn't even know about this happening, I said that him not knowing was a lack of communication from Royal to its employees, but he didn't see it that way. Later in the conversation he commented that "in a sense, you are the guest", I said in a sense??? No, we ARE the guest, what else would we be considered??? I got no reply.

He also stated that these perks were removed because we didn't like or use these perks...not sure who he was referring to.

Edited by Bronx12

6 minutes ago, Oxo said:

That is your choice. 

Examples:

Happy Cruising! 

This isn't just about cutting back on perks. 

Did they take these things away after people had booked cabins in which they had been told they were going to receive these things?

8 minutes ago, Oxo said:

That is your choice. 

Examples:

Happy Cruising! 

You are correct most cruise cut back. However, at that time of booking stated that this perks include with the room. I am talking about written on the page that we book the cruise. I just want what I paid and promised at the time I booked.

I just started to sail MSC also and I think they are ok except how they handle when the hurricane come but it was acceptable. I actually ok with only one meal they give per room for black card. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Oxo said:

No, Royal Caribbean is not the only cruise line cutting back, but this isn't a cutback. It is a broken promise. All of us affected made our reservations with the written promise of these extras. Royal Caribbean brazenly took them away and replaced them with something worth about 1/4 the value--while telling us in the email that this is better. It reminds me of when Judge Judy on TV says, "Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

This isn't just about cutting back on perks. 

Did they take these things away after people had booked cabins in which they had been told they were going to receive these things?

Agree with you. However, this had been happening in over the 30 years we have been cruising. Cruise line attitude is,  so! Again, if you  stop CRUISING RCI others will still cruise.  Where will you go? You will probably go to another line where someone left from and came to RCI.LOL

More people are CRUISING each year.

3 minutes ago, MightyMike said:

No, Royal Caribbean is not the only cruise line cutting back, but this isn't a cutback. It is a broken promise. All of us affected made our reservations with the written promise of these extras. Royal Caribbean brazenly took them away and replaced them with something worth about 1/4 the value--while telling us in the email that this is better. It reminds me of when Judge Judy on TV says, "Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining!"

Exactly.  It's called "bait and switch".

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Agree with you. However, this had been happening in over the 30 years we have been cruising. Cruise line attitude is,  so! Again, if you  stop CRUISING RCI others will still cruise.  Where will you go? You will probably go to another line where someone left from and came to RCI.LOL

More people are CRUISING each year.

Really?  Cruise lines have been promising things to people then taking them away after the people are obligated to pay?  Can you cite specific examples of when this has happened?

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, CruiseLand said:

. I just want what I paid and promised at the time I booked.

I just started to sail MSC also and I think they are ok except how they handle when the hurricane come but it was acceptable. I actually ok with only one meal they give per room for black card. 

I have been CRUISING MSC since 2006. We are Black Card.  We cruised MSC 3 times in 1 year booked at the same time. On thre first cruise we got 2 meals free. On the next cruise 1. We were told they changed the perks. You are satisfied with 1 meal. I would rather have my 2. Different strokes for different folks. Loosing battle.

Like they say in Jamaica, poo poo happens.  LOL

Edited by Oxo

4 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Really?  Cruise lines have been promising things to people then taking them away after the people are obligated to pay?  Can you cite specific examples of when this has happened?

Why waste you time asking me for examples over my 30 years of CRUISING? I'm a paying client just like you. Take the time to get RCI to change it back. 

I just explained my experiences over the years. Good Luck!

36 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Why waste you time asking me for examples over my 30 years of CRUISING? I'm a paying client just like you. Take the time to get RCI to change it back. 

I just explained my experiences over the years. Good Luck!

Oh it's not a waste of time for me.  I was just looking for examples.  If you choose not to provide them, then that's OK.

Edited by time4u2go

1 hour ago, Oxo said:

That is your choice. 

Examples:

Happy Cruising! 

They cut back on perks because, if they raise prices too much, they will be undersold by the competition.  Therefore, whenever costs go up, perks seem to get cut. 

The one mainstream cruise-line that never seems to cut perks is Disney; they just let their  prices go up and up and up, because they seem to be able to fill their ships no matter how much they charge.  When my wife and I first started cruising in 2003, Disney cruises cost about 20% more than comparable rooms on comparable Royal Caribbean cruises.   Now, Disney cruises cost at least twice as much as comparable rooms on comparable Royal Caribbean cruises. 

But on Disney, there are still complementary first run movies all the time in a real movie theater AND in the staterooms, a late buffet at least one night per cruise and late night snacks on the other nights, chocolates on every pillow every night, hard copy documents sent out by mail with stick-on luggage tags, etc.  Those are the perks that the other mainstream cruise lines all offered 15 years ago. Moreover, the food in Disney's MDR and their buffet is actually better than it was 15 years ago while, on Royal Caribbean, you have to go to a specialty restaurant or be admitted to Coastal Kitchen in order to get food as good as the food was in the MDR 15 years ago.   

My wife and my last cruise was a 4-night cruise in a balcony room on Disney.  Our next (in 11 days) cruise will be a 5-night cruise in a Grand Suite on Royal Caribbean.  We paid less for our next cruise than for our last cruise.  You get what you pay for.  Nevertheless, if they take away perks AFTER you book the cruise, then, IMHO, you have a legitimate grievance.  That is especially true if those perks were the reason why you selected a particular cabin category.

Edited by actuarian
spelling
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Oxo said:

I have been CRUISING MSC since 2006. We are Black Card.  We cruised MSC 3 times in 1 year booked at the same time. On thre first cruise we got 2 meals free. On the next cruise 1. We were told they changed the perks. You are satisfied with 1 meal. I would rather have my 2. Different strokes for different folks. Loosing battle.

Like they say in Jamaica, poo poo happens.  LOL

Of course I like 2 meals, however it is free so one is ok. It is totally different situation than what royal Caribbean did, The perks MSC gave is free to the members not something we pay for it. We paid for the room that suppose to come with the perks. 

26 minutes ago, actuarian said:

They cut back on perks because, if they raise prices too much, they will be undersold by the competition.  Therefore, whenever costs go up, perks seem to get cut. 

The one mainstream cruise-line that never seems to cut perks is Disney; they just let their  prices go up and up and up, because they seem to be able to fill their ships no matter how much they charge.  When my wife and I first started cruising in 2003, Disney cruises cost about 20% more than comparable rooms on comparable Royal Caribbean cruises.   Now, Disney cruises cost at least twice as much as comparable rooms on comparable Royal Caribbean cruises. 

But on Disney, there are still complementary first run movies all the time in a real movie theater AND in the staterooms, a late buffet at least one night per cruise and late night snacks on the other nights, chocolates on every pillow every night, hard copy documents sent out by mail with stick-on luggage tags, etc.  Those are the perks that the other mainstream cruise lines all offered 15 years ago. Moreover, the food in Disney's MDR and their buffet is actually better than it was 15 years ago while, on Royal Caribbean, you have to go to a specialty restaurant or be admitted to Coastal Kitchen in order to get food as good as the food was in the MDR 15 years ago.   

My wife and my last cruise was a 4-night cruise in a balcony room on Disney.  Our next (in 11 days) cruise will be a 5-night cruise in a Grand Suite on Royal Caribbean.  We paid less for our next cruise than for our last cruise.  You get what you pay for. 

I'm going to have to disagree with this, they have cut lots of perks.  One I can think of off the top of my head is they no longer allow you to bring on liquor and limit wine to 2 bottles.  They used to allow anything but that got cut.  They used to allow you to drop items off at guest services for signatures, that is gone.  There are definitely perks that have gone by the way over the years.  They cut out the booklet they used to send out, its now just a piece of cardboard with a bit of information on it.  They do still send out luggage tags....for now.  

As for the late night buffet, are you meaning the pirate buffet?  Not exactly extensive and very crowded.  I have not seen any other late night buffets since they did away with the chocolate dessert party.....another perk they got rid of.  Late night snacks are three or four hot buffet trays with a few finger foods and only in the bar district.  I have found much better late night snacks on the RCCL cruises I have taken and much more in variety.  They do still offer free room service though......again, for now.  

We to enjoy DCL, in fact we will be on the Fantasy in a few weeks, however I don't see they are doing any better in the perks department.  And your right, their prices are insane.  We can cruise for two weeks on RCCL for what we pay for one on DCL.  One of the reasons most of our cruises are now RCCL.  You don't get a whole lot more for the cost with DCL IMO, but that's another thread.  

ETA-I have never experienced a first run movie playing in our stateroom.  

Edited by tinkertwo

It is so weird to me they didn't just make this change affective with new bookings as of xyz date and then pax would know when book abc rate exactly what getting for that.  Perhaps rates will go down without perks on these cabin types. 

I bet they looked into it and it was an adminstative hassle to try to figure out which of the CP/BW paxs got perks or not.  Still, seems like they could have just "bought" soda packages at a minimum.  Interesting that they no longer think need perks to fill these cabins, some bean counter must have figured better to sell at a discount these cabins than fun the perks to get pax in them.  

30 minutes ago, CP3o said:

It is so weird to me they didn't just make this change affective with new bookings as of xyz date and then pax would know when book abc rate exactly what getting for that.  Perhaps rates will go down without perks on these cabin types. 

I bet they looked into it and it was an adminstative hassle to try to figure out which of the CP/BW paxs got perks or not.  Still, seems like they could have just "bought" soda packages at a minimum.  Interesting that they no longer think need perks to fill these cabins, some bean counter must have figured better to sell at a discount these cabins than fun the perks to get pax in them.  

Their IT department probably wouldnt be able to figure out how to do the changes without repricing everyones cabin at the current prices.

on a better note my TA just emailed me and said we got an additional $50 obc added to our account. 

This could also be an issue that is worth a credit card dispute. If you purchase A and get B, credit cards can help. Someone said the value of their perks was about $400. Perhaps a credit dispute could get back $400 off the cruise faire. I had a CP room and the value of my perks was only about 85 and I was given 50 OBC in addition to the original 50 that came with loosing the perks. So I am happy, but if I had lost perks totaling $400 I would not be happy.

• Like 1