Royal Eliminates Neighborhood Balcony Perks

ValerieJo

9 minutes ago, smn8600 said:

I agree, blast them on twitter.  Maybe if enough people do it they'll get the message.  I'm just worried about threatening to cancel.  I don't want them to call my bluff.  I wouldn't be able to re-book anything comparable for the same rate as rates seem to have gone up since I booked.

Yes, prices would not go up. I would not actually cancel. Usually when I have called to cancel I really did want to cancel, but before I could I had to talk to a 2nd person and they always tried to convince me not to. I can't imagine you would be canceled without some sort of confirmation that you really wanted to do it. Like when you pay a bill you are asked to confirm that you want to pay X from X account. So I would think there would be time to renig on canceling before it go to the point. But, I completely understand because the price of my cruise is now out of my price range if I booked at today's prices. 

I had a problem with Delta and Holiday In Club Vacation which I was able to get resolved after a Facebook post. 

3 minutes ago, little britain said:

Goodness..... I didn't even get the perks I was due last week on Oasis in a CP balcony.   

Obviously Oasis were jumping the gun on actioning the withdrawal of benefits.

I didn't get any compensation either.

Were you give a reason for not getting the perks while on board? I would have been at customer service demanding my free lunch. They could have kept the cheap free wine. 

3 hours ago, Sherri914 said:

When I posted earlier (Pg 3 I think), I mentioned that I'd called RCI twice about this issue.  First time, the rep was completely unfamiliar w/ this new change and tried to tell me the perks would still be given...  he even said I could visit guest services aboard and they would give me the 'coupons' for these perks.  When I politely disagreed, he then started to back off a little, acknowledging that he was just parroting what his supervisor had told him and what he was interpreting from the information he was reading.  His interpretation was incorrect.  And when i called back to RCI shortly after (because we all know, if you don't get the answer you want on the first try, call back!), the rep (after 26 minutes on hold) told me they could only offer $50 OBC for my CP balcony perk loss.  I asked if I would be able to cancel my reservation if I chose, since Royal changed the terms, and she said "you have a non-refundable deposit, so yes, you can cancel, but it would cost you $100/person to cancel).   

For anyone who didn't see my earlier post, I was finally able to speak to a supervisor and she offered an additional $50 OBC giving me a total of $100 OBC for the loss of the CP perks.  I was satisfied with that amount.   Had I been in a BW balcony, the $100 OBC wouldn't have been satisfactory as the perks with those cabins were valued at more because of the drink packages.    One last sentiment -- at no time during my phone calls did I raise my voice or get ugly with the reps.  It's not their fault.  I was very polite, made my points clearly without ranting, and they, in turn, were very gracious and did their best to help me with what they all admitted seemed an unfair corporate decision.    The old saying about catching more flies with honey paid off for me.   

What number did you call?

11 minutes ago, little britain said:

Goodness..... I didn't even get the perks I was due last week on Oasis in a CP balcony.   

Obviously Oasis were jumping the gun on actioning the withdrawal of benefits.

I didn't get any compensation either.

I thought the promo was only applicable on US sailings?

7 minutes ago, MoniMommy said:

Were you give a reason for not getting the perks while on board? I would have been at customer service demanding my free lunch. They could have kept the cheap free wine. 

Went to GR and they blamed it on a housekeeping error not distributing the paperwork telling you what you were entitled to.  As it was the afternoon of the sea day it was too late for lunch.

3 hours ago, Sherri914 said:

When I posted earlier (Pg 3 I think), I mentioned that I'd called RCI twice about this issue.  First time, the rep was completely unfamiliar w/ this new change and tried to tell me the perks would still be given...  he even said I could visit guest services aboard and they would give me the 'coupons' for these perks.  When I politely disagreed, he then started to back off a little, acknowledging that he was just parroting what his supervisor had told him and what he was interpreting from the information he was reading.  His interpretation was incorrect.  And when i called back to RCI shortly after (because we all know, if you don't get the answer you want on the first try, call back!), the rep (after 26 minutes on hold) told me they could only offer $50 OBC for my CP balcony perk loss.  I asked if I would be able to cancel my reservation if I chose, since Royal changed the terms, and she said "you have a non-refundable deposit, so yes, you can cancel, but it would cost you $100/person to cancel).   

For anyone who didn't see my earlier post, I was finally able to speak to a supervisor and she offered an additional $50 OBC giving me a total of $100 OBC for the loss of the CP perks.  I was satisfied with that amount.   Had I been in a BW balcony, the $100 OBC wouldn't have been satisfactory as the perks with those cabins were valued at more because of the drink packages.    One last sentiment -- at no time during my phone calls did I raise my voice or get ugly with the reps.  It's not their fault.  I was very polite, made my points clearly without ranting, and they, in turn, were very gracious and did their best to help me with what they all admitted seemed an unfair corporate decision.    The old saying about catching more flies with honey paid off for me.   

I may have missed this in your earlier post but did you contact the main 800 number or did you call the crown and anchor number?  We are booked on Harmony October 2020 in a boardwalk cabin and have friends joining us in a CP cabin.  I would like to try to get additional credit for either or both cabins if possible! TIA for your reply.

Never mind when I refreshed I saw the number was trying to read on my phone and not working very well!!

Edited by Tljcruiser
typo

1 minute ago, Tljcruiser said:

I may have missed this in your earlier post but did you contact the main 800 number or did you call the crown and anchor number?  We are booked on Harmony October 2020 in a boardwalk cabin and have friends joining us in a CP cabin.  I would like to try to get additional credit for either or both cabins if possible! TIA for your reply.

Called the main 1-866-562-7635 number.  

4 hours ago, texmex.ferr said:

A number of folks have booked these cabins because of the perks, and now they are being taken away from them, after they have agreed to the 'contract' between themselves and Royal.    Customers are not allowed to changed their bookings without penalty (especially in the UK), once a deposit is paid, so why should this be different for the Company.    Contracts should be honoured.    We have a Central Park balcony booked on Allure for the TA in November 2020, when we booked in December 2019, we had the Deluxe Drinks Package included in our booking, so this change does not directly affect us, but I believe in fairness, which this isn't.    Our sailing  is 14 nights, so $50 per cabin, does not go anywhere near to cover the cost of anyone who has booked a Boardwalk, (unsure of prices of wine etc for Central Park perks on offer) which was to include the Soda Package (£224.74 for 2 persons at current booking prices), and then there's the lunch price to be added to that figure.    So irrespective of how long the cruise is for everyone is being given $50 per cabin, whether it's a 3 night sailing or 14 + night sailing, this also seems an unfair compensation.   This should all have been worked on  pro rata sailing nights, or everyone who had booked before the announcement, had their original bookings honoured.

Someone should call Morgan and Morgan and try a class action.  Who knows what would happen.  This sounds more like a contract dispute than a maritime issue.   I know people put the package prices into their thinking when considering the total price.  Hopefully they have major problems filling the boardwalk rooms.  I know I had one once and would not go back, even with the package stuff.

I cant' find anywhere in the "Cruise Ticket Contract" that permits them to do this.  They can change the itinerary without notice but that's about it.  The Dine - Drink - Discover flyer has no expiration date and just mentions that the itinerary could change.  They can change your accommodations or cancel activities or confine you to a stateroom, but that's only if you are thought to be a danger, security risk or be detrimental to himself or the health, welfare, comfort or enjoyment of others.  But it still doesn't say that they can cancel your beverage package.

16050977_DINE_DRINK_DISCOVER_Trade_Flyer.pdf

Edited by smn8600
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, smn8600 said:

I cant' find anywhere in the "Cruise Ticket Contract" that permits them to do this.  They can change the itinerary without notice but that's about it.  The Dine - Drink - Discover flyer has no expiration date and just mentions that the itinerary could change.  They can change your accommodations or cancel activities or confine you to a stateroom, but that's only if you are thought to be a 

danger, security risk or be detrimental to himself or the health, welfare, comfort or enjoyment of others.  But it still doesn't say that they can cancel your beverage package.

16050977_DINE_DRINK_DISCOVER_Trade_Flyer.pdf 1.99 MB · 0 downloads

I would ask them where in the contact it gives them the right to take that perk away....🤔👍

3 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

If everybody in a neighborhood - cabin removes all their tips - that would really hurt RCI as they would need to make up for it!🤔👍

I pre-paid my gratuity, I wonder if I can remove that lol.

edit** You're absolutely right, this is not a staff issue.  i redact this statement!

Edited by smn8600

1 minute ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

If everybody in a neighborhood - cabin removes all their tips - that would really hurt RCI as they would need to make up for it!🤔👍

I don't see how punishing the staff would be helpful in this situation.  I understand making a statement, but i don't think this is the statement to make.  The staff had nothing to do with this decision. 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2019 at 11:18 AM, Host Clarea said:

Royal is always trying to enhance our cruise experience!

I disagree! The statement that they are looking to enhance the cruise experience means you would be offering that enhancement at the time you are taking away what clients are expecting. Total BS. It's a cost cutting measure and very poor business decision to not grandfather those already booked under that premise.  

17 minutes ago, Sherri914 said:

I don't see how punishing the staff would be helpful in this situation.  I understand making a statement, but i don't think this is the statement to make.  The staff had nothing to do with this decision. 

Staff is part of the corporation - RCI guarantees the payment to the staff - if people remove - they will have to make it up! 👍😎

4 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

However, having sailed on both, you cannot compare Royal to NCL, unless you are in the Haven.  The cabins on NCL are very small.  Crowds all over the ship- you have to get up at dawn to get a seat by the pool.  IMO food fair on NCL- so sometimes you get what you pay for!  I would go for an oceanview on Royal rather then a mini on NCL.

Enjoy your vacation

The oceanview on Royal is close to $5600 for two on the week we want to sail (holiday sailing) while the mini-suite on NCL is $4200.  $1400 savings on three staterooms is $4200...plus I'd have to spend another $2500 to get the drink package on RCL.  To keep $6700 in my pocket I'll gladly trade a poolside seat and accept that the dining may not be the same.

Don't get me wrong - I'm by no means an NCL cheerleader as I've never sailed on them before.  Matter of fact, once said I'd never sail on them because I'm not a big fan of the whole freestyle dining concept.  RCL has always been one of my favorite two lines (we've sailed on five over the years).  I just can't ignore $6700 difference in pricing...so it's worth it to me to give NCL's Escape a shot.

Edited by msmayor
  • Like 1