Royal Eliminates Neighborhood Balcony Perks

ValerieJo

4 hours ago, Sizzlechest said:

I can't explicitly say due to its salacious nature, so if you're easily offended, DON'T google "John Travolta Royal Caribbean arbitration." I repeat, do NOT google "John Travolta Royal Caribbean arbitration."

Oh yeah, I remember that incident.

3 hours ago, P.A. said:

I am FURIOUS about this change! Not because now we don't get the "FREE PKG" but because they are "taking away" something they already gave me!! That's just not good customer service. I can see if they need to discontinue the "perk" and no longer give it...but take it away from people who booked a long time ago is just not right. I booked my sailing on Allure for Feb 2020 back in Nov 2018. There will be 3 of us in our boardwalk balcony. And then to give you $50 per cabin as a replacement is a slap in the face!! And they've already changed our port of St Thomas because of the propulsion problem. 🤬

I called customer relations and spoke with them and they said they would give me $50 more but that doesn't even cover one drink pkg let alone two, plus the Johnny Rockets!! I have already sent off an email to corporate so we'll see what response I get.

What email address did you use to send to corporate?  Also isn't there a directly email to the CEO?

On 9/18/2019 at 12:53 PM, Host Clarea said:

Sure, they could have covered it on all booked cruises, but that would have been the fair and ethical way to handle it. 

All businesses change promotions/sale offerings.  It would have made more sense to change the promotional/sale offer and leave those people who have already booked with the Dine-Drink-Discover promo keep what they booked.  In that way it would have avoided some (not all) of the bad PR that Royal will get, doing it the way they are doing it, now.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BoozinNCruisin said:

What email address did you use to send to corporate?  Also isn't there a directly email to the CEO?

If you want to express how you feel about this change to the top of the decision making group.

Michael Bailey 

mbayley@rccl.com

Edited by DrewFoundLander

5 hours ago, Judyrem said:

That may be true for others, but I had not been cruising in over 16 years and decided to try it again, I love it but love my land based trips too.   I just don't like to be "hosed", I am too old for that and have traveled extensively.  

I also like that I have "control" over my land base trips.

Don't get me wrong. Always loved my land vacations. But cost, single, retired and with Kids grown/busy seem to limit myself to going on multiple Cruises each yr. My land vacations now are 3-4 times yr where fly back and forth see Kids/Grandkids on one side the Country and on other side are my Parents, 10 Brothers/Sisters and 37 Nephews/Nieces. Been doing it since 2008, It's a good life  

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

Unlike the cruises where RC changed itineraries right after final, at least they notified the affected people prior to final payment.

This would allow anyone with a refundsble deposit to voice their displeasure completely. Anyone with NRD would have to decide whether it is worth it to cancel or rebook. Probably not, but anyone calculating their damage as $500 or so might be mad enough to find a cheaper cruise line (especially if booked on board with only a $100 deposit).

Both avenues make a statement to RC.

47 minutes ago, msmayor said:

Don't get me wrong - I'm by no means an NCL cheerleader as I've never sailed on them before.  Matter of fact, once said I'd never sail on them because I'm not a big fan of the whole freestyle dining concept.  RCL has always been one of my favorite two lines (we've sailed on five over the years).  I just can't ignore $6700 difference in pricing...so it's worth it to me to give NCL's Escape a shot.

I don't think Free Style dining is that big a deal, it takes away nothing for me, just book your reservations ahead.  The Escape is a nice ship, plenty of bells and whistles, be sure to check out the Dancing With the Stars spoof.  Funny show.  Even Deal of No Deal, people with no stake in the game can go over the top.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DrewFoundLander said:

If you want to express how you feel about this change to the top of the decision making group.

Michael Bailey 

mbayley@rccl.com

Thank you. We are not affected (our CP cruise is a month from now) but I see it as a larger problem, indicative of a (blank)you attitude dissuading me from booking any more RC cruises.

I encourage any RC customer to join the stream of complaints to the email provided. Here is one I just sent:

Dear Mr. Bayley:

We have been following an extensive discussion on Cruise Critic about the new Royal Caribbean plan to cancel neighborhood perks for cruises in 2020. You are offering a mere pittance of $50 allegedly to compensate, ignoring that for some folks the value you are withdrawing may be upwards of $500.

It is unfathomable to me that your company is unilaterally disavowing your obligation to provide the perks to people who booked neighborhood staterooms as far back as 2018. And the letter informing people suggests how lucky they are to still have a wonderful view. This is insulting at best to your customers, whom you apparently think are stupid enough to consider this a benefit.

Not offering perks for new bookings is understandable, but I have never before seen a company not in financial distress fail to honor promises to literally thousands of people made to induce them into a contract. In law school, we learned that this is breach of contract, pure and simple.

I understand people have written to your office and have been rebuffed in their attempts to register their distress on this issue. 

I have been looking forward to cruising with Royal Caribbean and have enthusiastically recommended Royal to family and friends.  However, if this action is not reversed, and if existing bookings' perks are not reinstated, I will have to tell anyone who asks me that Royal Caribbean abuses its customers by changing their bookings.

I am shocked that you and the company wish to adopt a policy that proves you cannot be trusted.

Cruise Critic member "mayleeman"

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 1:23 PM, Merion_Mom said:

I understand those of you who are badmouthing the CP and BW balcony cabins.  I, too, prefer an OV balcony.

But I have met PLENTY of people who really really really like the "novelty" of the CP and BW cabins.

Some people like the view, music and tranquility of CP cabins.

Some people like the view of the Boardwalk and the Aqua Theater from the BW cabins.

Chacun a son gout.

We have done a Boardwalk Balcony once and we did have one close to the aft of the ship- within the last 4-5 cabins. We enjoyed being able to see the Aquatheatre shows. We didn't find it to be excessively loud.   Yes, you do lack some privacy. That is the one drawback. 

That said about the privacy, I was on Freedom several years ago and we were docked in Cozumel. I was on the pool deck looking across the dock at the ship across from us. As I was walking along, I saw a guy in the ship across from us in the bathroom. Clearly in the ship's effort to provide a nice view looking out while one does his business, they failed to realize there was also a "view" looking in.  I diverted my eyes quickly, but there are just things you can't unsee. LOL

21 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Thank you. We are not affected (our CP cruise is a month from now) but I see it as a larger problem, indicative of a (blank)you attitude dissuading me from booking any more RC cruises.

I encourage any RC customer to join the stream of complaints to the email provided. Here is one I just sent:

Dear Mr. Bayley:

We have been following an extensive discussion on Cruise Critic about the new Royal Caribbean plan to cancel neighborhood perks for cruises in 2020. You are offering a mere pittance of $50 allegedly to compensate, ignoring that for some folks the value you are withdrawing may be upwards of $500.

It is unfathomable to me that your company is unilaterally disavowing your obligation to provide the perks to people who booked neighborhood staterooms as far back as 2018. And the letter informing people suggests how lucky they are to still have a wonderful view. This is insulting at best to your customers, whom you apparently think are stupid enough to consider this a benefit.

Not offering perks for new bookings is understandable, but I have never before seen a company not in financial distress fail to honor promises to literally thousands of people made to induce them into a contract. In law school, we learned that this is breach of contract, pure and simple.

I understand people have written to your office and have been rebuffed in their attempts to register their distress on this issue. 

I have been looking forward to cruising with Royal Caribbean and have enthusiastically recommended Royal to family and friends.  However, if this action is not reversed, and if existing bookings' perks are not reinstated, I will have to tell anyone who asks me that Royal Caribbean abuses its customers by changing their bookings.

I am shocked that you and the company wish to adopt a policy that proves you cannot be trusted.

Very well written.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, legaljen1969 said:

Very well written.

Thank you. I wonder if any shareholders out there could write to him asking whether RC is in some financial distress? These things can be indicia, and if he sees investor concern it could spur action.

46 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Dear Mr. Bayley:

This is great! I will also write to Mr Bayley in case my original email didn't make it to him. 

Thank you!

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

Unlike the cruises where RC changed itineraries right after final, at least they notified the affected people prior to final payment.

This would allow anyone with a refundsble deposit to voice their displeasure completely. Anyone with NRD would have to decide whether it is worth it to cancel or rebook. Probably not, but anyone calculating their damage as $500 or so might be mad enough to find a cheaper cruise line (especially if booked on board with only a $100 deposit).

Both avenues make a statement to RC.

I don't believe your analogy is valid.

Cruise lines generally change itineraries because they *have* to. There are a few notable exceptions (and we cruise critics call them out when we see it), but in most instances, the cruise line doesn't have much choice. A hurricane devastates the island. A ship damages the port. The State Department issues a tourist crime warning. Citizens are protesting in the streets. The government implements restrictions on travel to Cuba. That kind of stuff.

The thing that makes this change so egregious is that it is totally within the control of Royal Caribbean. It's a takeaway. It's a money grab. There are no external factors forcing the change. Bookings are solid. They thought (and probably still think) they could get away with it. They want more income from these rooms.

The icing on the cake is how the email suggests that this change is for our benefit. We have a $50 credit now. Woo-hoo!

My opinion of the Royal Caribbean brand just took a nosedive. 

• Like 3

I have just written also. I did not even receive the email about this. If I hadn't read it on here I wouldn't even have known.

Is their a link to a facebook page for RCI where I could also add my displeasure? I'm not good at facebook and when I went there I found a page about RCI but it was mostly things RCI posted and not pax.

TIA

I saw a few posts on FB.  Anyone who feels $50 is not sufficient to cover the loss perks should voice their concern on FB and Twitter.  Social media is the best way to get attention and both have a larger audience than cruise critic.  The more people that voice their concern the more likely there will be an acceptable resolution.  

$50 OBC is less than 50% of the value.  The right thing to do is to grandfather all those who already booked.  It’s like promising someone $150 and then say I’ll give you $50 that you can take or leave. It’s not only a bad business practice but it’s also unethical.  

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I have just written also. I did not even receive the email about this. If I hadn't read it on here I wouldn't even have known.

Is their a link to a facebook page for RCI where I could also add my displeasure? I'm not good at facebook and when I went there I found a page about RCI but it was mostly things RCI posted and not pax.

TIA

Under the picture of Coco Cay on RCI Facebook, you will see "write a post" that is where you can post and it will pop up on visitor post on the right hand side under the bar that said "book now and message". HTH

46 minutes ago, MightyMike said:

I don't believe your analogy is valid.

You misunderstood. I was actually referring to the people whose Allure cruises went past final payment right before they announced a slew of azipod related changes. In addition, Celebrity (RC's sister company) earlier this year announced changes to a Hawaii cruise right after final payment, including deleting a desired stop and shortening the cruise by a day. These may have been mandated by a variety of legitimate factors, but those people had no choice but to forfeit at least 25% of the fare if they wanted to back out, and the timing angered quite a few. This perk thing involves less of a penalty, but I think I already stated my dissatisfaction with Royal sufficiently in case you missed it.

Edited by mayleeman

I sent a PM through their FB page and let them know how I felt.  The response I got back was less than stellar.  They used my name but everything else about the response was canned, it was obvious they just pasted on what they were telling everyone.  There was nothing personal about it and it was clear they didn't bother to read what I had written.  I thanked them for replying but said that it was plain they hadn't taken the time to read my message and I felt unimportant to RCL, that their response was a sad try.  They responded to this with an apology and an offer for an extra $50, which I excepted.  

If anyone does go through FB messaging I would be interested to see what your response is, wondering if it will be the same as mine.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tinkertwo said:

I sent a PM through their FB page and let them know how I felt.  The response I got back was less than stellar.  They used my name but everything else about the response was canned, it was obvious they just pasted on what they were telling everyone.  There was nothing personal about it and it was clear they didn't bother to read what I had written.  I thanked them for replying but said that it was plain they hadn't taken the time to read my message and I felt unimportant to RCL, that their response was a sad try.  They responded to this with an apology and an offer for an extra $50, which I excepted.  

If anyone does go through FB messaging I would be interested to see what your response is, wondering if it will be the same as mine.  

you get better response than me. I got nothing from them just $50 that they original offer.

6 minutes ago, tinkertwo said:

What response did you get?  I'm wondering if your wording was the same as my original response.

I also sent a FB message very similar to my tweet above (at the bottom of the previous page) but with more words. I stayed level headed and cool - curious what the response will be...

Edited by fletch1027

8 hours ago, Judyrem said:

That may be true for others, but I had not been cruising in over 16 years and decided to try it again, I love it but love my land based trips too.   I just don't like to be "hosed", I am too old for that and have traveled extensively.  

I also like that I have "control" over my land base trips.

I agree.  We cruise around every other year.  And I love it but I also love my land vacations.  Cruising has allowed  me to decide which islands I would like to spend more than a day on.  

• Like 1