Palma de Mallorca DIY - NEW

Host Bonjour

Wondering how far is this meet up point from where the Wonder of the Seas docks…

Carrer del Moll, 1, 07012 Palma, Illes Balears, Spain The meeting point is the tourist information office kiosk with a large cube on top with the letter "i" in lower case at Parc del Mar, Address: Avenida Antoni Maura-Parc de la Mar.

5 hours ago, kandpsmom said:

Wondering how far is this meet up point from where the Wonder of the Seas docks…

Carrer del Moll, 1, 07012 Palma, Illes Balears, Spain The meeting point is the tourist information office kiosk with a large cube on top with the letter "i" in lower case at Parc del Mar, Address: Avenida Antoni Maura-Parc de la Mar.

Hi ,it is about 10 mins by taxi about 10 eu or you can get the shuttle bus which will drop you very close to it, see google maps Roger

3 hours ago, Mcrlyons said:

Hi, I will be in palma on Sunday 5 June will any shops and things be open with it being a Sunday. Thanks 

Most of the shops are open only the small family shops are closed, there  is a shopping mall called  Porto P wiithin walking distance of the pier  Roger 

8 hours ago, roger b said:

Most of the shops are open only the small family shops are closed, there  is a shopping mall called  Porto P wiithin walking distance of the pier  Roger 

Thank you Roger much appreciated 😁

On 5/8/2022 at 4:45 PM, roger b said:

Sorry  to tell you it is only 1.5 miles and takes 27 mins to walk and 5 mins by taxi and that will cost 5/7 euroes , i admit  it  is quite a distance ,bur all the oversize shps dock at this quay.

Sorry but 5 people with "step meters" can't all have the wrong distance!  We walked more than 27 minutes and weren't even halfway and that was "hustling".   I agree to take a taxi would have been the smart thing to do but we were told it was a short walk.  Had we been properly informed we would have taken the taxi.  

Just trying to warn others if on the "oversize ship".  

Don't walk it!  

20 hours ago, skiiergirl said:

Don't walk it!

And certainly not at present, if you can avoid it.

My companion in life is just back from a long weekend on the island (staying in Port de Soller, where some family members originate from). It is very hot for the time of year - midsummer temperatures. Uncomfortably hot - and that was just lying round the hotel pool.

22 hours ago, skiiergirl said:

Sorry but 5 people with "step meters" can't all have the wrong distance!  We walked more than 27 minutes and weren't even halfway and that was "hustling".   I agree to take a taxi would have been the smart thing to do but we were told it was a short walk.  Had we been properly informed we would have taken the taxi.  

Just trying to warn others if on the "oversize ship".  

Don't walk it!  

Hi Sklergirl,

I don't know where you arranged to pick up your car but they are normally left in the car park in front of the main cruise terminal .

Witch as you can see on the map is 2.8 kms from where your ship docked and a 6 min walk , in my previous post i said 15 mins .

https://www.google.es/maps/dir/Estación+Marítima+6,+Carretera+Dic+de+l'Oest,+07015+Palma,+Balearic+Islands/Port+de+Palma+de+Mallorca,+07015+Palma,+Illes+Balears/@39.5494952,2.6168835,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x129793810087fa1f:0x83aafdd3b19d56d4!2m2!1d2.6319129!2d39.5473241!1m5!1m1!1s0x1297920f07e67919:0x8389b14beed361ea!2m2!1d2.6266877!2d39.5528829!3e0?hl=en

1 hour ago, roger b said:

Hi Sklergirl,

I don't know where you arranged to pick up your car but they are normally left in the car park in front of the main cruise terminal .

Witch as you can see on the map is 2.8 kms from where your ship docked and a 6 min walk , in my previous post i said 15 mins .

https://www.google.es/maps/dir/Estación+Marítima+6,+Carretera+Dic+de+l'Oest,+07015+Palma,+Balearic+Islands/Port+de+Palma+de+Mallorca,+07015+Palma,+Illes+Balears/@39.5494952,2.6168835,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x129793810087fa1f:0x83aafdd3b19d56d4!2m2!1d2.6319129!2d39.5473241!1m5!1m1!1s0x1297920f07e67919:0x8389b14beed361ea!2m2!1d2.6266877!2d39.5528829!3e0?hl=en

Sorry it is a 32 min walk , I was looking at by car 

Looking for advice on how to squeeze in the Soller Train and Tram when we are in port from only 12-8PM.  I think the first train we could catch is the 13:30.  Would this work?

- bus to train station

- 13:30 train to Soller

- walk around Soller a bit and have lunch

- tram to Port de Soller

- look around there

- bus back to pier 

How much time do you need in Soller and Port de Soller to enjoy it?  Would like to get an early enough bus back to take a walk around Palma itself before getting back on the ship.  I see there's a bus at 5:00 from Port de Soller.  That would give us a couple hours in Palma.  

On 5/23/2022 at 2:33 PM, roger b said:

Hi Sklergirl,

On 5/23/2022 at 3:55 PM, roger b said:

Sorry it is a 32 min walk , I was looking at by car 

We were docked at the very end of the far pier!  We walked 25 minutes UPHIll and weren’t even half way there.  On the return, the driver finagled us into the lot to let the rest of us out at the ship and then took a taxi back.  Had anyone told us how far it was, we would have done a taxi!  
Our instructions said the walk was a 10 minute walk!  Not!  Just trying to make sure others aren’t mislead! 

On 5/13/2022 at 2:54 PM, JuliaMS said:

Hi, we will be in Palma in Monday October 24 from 11-7. There will be 4 ships in port that day and depending on how full they are could be 12,000+ passangers. I have seen you say there is plenty to do staying in Palma but with that many ships in will it be too crowded? What would you suggest for those hours staying in Palma?

@roger b any advice?

If we're taking a taxi back to the ship from town, how close can the taxi get to the actual ship?  In other words, how long of a walk will we have after the taxi drops us off?  Based on our current itinerary for that day, we may be cutting it close and I don't want to be a pier runner!  Thank you!

On 5/13/2022 at 4:54 PM, JuliaMS said:

Hi, we will be in Palma in Monday October 24 from 11-7. There will be 4 ships in port that day and depending on how full they are could be 12,000+ passangers. I have seen you say there is plenty to do staying in Palma but with that many ships in will it be too crowded? What would you suggest for those hours staying in Palma?

On 5/13/2022 at 4:54 PM, JuliaMS said:

Ugg....system not working today!

We have been to Palma 3 times in the past 6 months or so on ships. 

Last fall we took the ship's tour to Drach Caves.  It was very enjoyable. 

Then we did the rental car with friends and went out to the Nadal Academy, pearl shopping, and had a fabulous lunch!!!!

Then the 3rd time we did the ship's excursion to Valdemossa.  It was very enjoyable also.  

2 hours ago, JuliaMS said:

@roger b any advice?

This out of season for tourists and most hotels are on the point of closing ,so it should not be too bad in the town .

I spent the day in Palma yesterday when there were three ships in the port and lots of other tourists and although it was crowded we had no trouble walking round.

Must do list .

The Cathedral, Oliver Market , explore the old town ,take the ho ho bus up to Belver Castle,great shops and a lunch somewhere. Look on a site See Mallorca for some other ideas.

Edited by roger b
Spelling

2 hours ago, hmbc1977 said:

If we're taking a taxi back to the ship from town, how close can the taxi get to the actual ship?  In other words, how long of a walk will we have after the taxi drops us off?  Based on our current itinerary for that day, we may be cutting it close and I don't want to be a pier runner!  Thank you!

The taxi will drop within walking distance of the ship,from 25 yds to 300  yds depending where your ship docks 

• Like 1

We'll be arriving in Palma in mid-August on Norwegian for our first-ever visit to Mallorca. We're scheduled to arrive around noon and depart at 8:00p. I think the train to Soller with the tram to Port de Soller sounds like it could be a lot of fun.  However, my son has read some reviews stating that in August the train is over-crowded and the schedules is unreliable.  Has anyone found that to indeed be the case?   

5 hours ago, Kjorg said:

We'll be arriving in Palma in mid-August on Norwegian for our first-ever visit to Mallorca. We're scheduled to arrive around noon and depart at 8:00p. I think the train to Soller with the tram to Port de Soller sounds like it could be a lot of fun.  However, my son has read some reviews stating that in August the train is over-crowded and the schedules is unreliable.  Has anyone found that to indeed be the case?   

Hi ,Yes this a great day out  and you will see a how beautiful the island is , it is easy to do in your time frame and should not be too crowded as most people leave early .Catch the 13.30 train  and take a taxi back when you are ready that way you will be able to be sure of getting back on time and cost of the return journey will be less than the train

Book on line  and you will be assured your seats .

https://trendesoller.com/eng/index

roger b

Edited by roger b
Spelling

7 hours ago, roger b said:

This out of season for tourists and most hotels are on the point of closing ,so it should not be too bad in the town .

I spent the day in Palma yesterday when there were three ships in the port and lots of other tourists and although it was crowded we had no trouble walking round.

Must do list .

The Cathedral, Oliver Market , explore the old town ,take the ho ho bus up to Belver Castle,great shops and a lunch somewhere. Look on a site See Mallorca for some other ideas.

Hi , Here are the best things to see in Palma.

https://www.abc-mallorca.com/best-things-to-do-and-see-palma-de-mallorca/

and here are the top things to see in Mallorca 

https://sandinmysuitcase.com/things-to-do-in-mallorca-spain/

roger b

• Like 1

Kjorg - it's some years since I've travelled on the train but my recollection is that it was certainly very full.

My companion in life had a few days in Port de Soller over last weekend, with family and found the tram to/from the town to be very over-crowded. Fortunately, it is a shortish journey (currently costing €8 each way) but it was not pleasant.

FWIW, it is all but impossible to get a taxi for short journeys round the Soller area - they have far fewer dirvers than pre-pandemic and they are all concentrating on the much more lucrative airport trips.  It curtailed their plan to visit Fornalutx, where one of the family lived when she first got married.

1 hour ago, Harters said:

Kjorg - it's some years since I've travelled on the train but my recollection is that it was certainly very full.

My companion in life had a few days in Port de Soller over last weekend, with family and found the tram to/from the town to be very over-crowded. Fortunately, it is a shortish journey (currently costing €8 each way) but it was not pleasant.

FWIW, it is all but impossible to get a taxi for short journeys round the Soller area - they have far fewer dirvers than pre-pandemic and they are all concentrating on the much more lucrative airport trips.  It curtailed their plan to visit Fornalutx, where one of the family lived when she first got married.

Sorry you are putting a dampener on a train trip to Soller , to be certain arrange before hand ,wherever  you go in the tourist season in Mallorca it will be crowded !! When ever I am in Soller I see a line of taxis in the Plaza Espanya opposite the train station 

http://www.soller1.com/es/cms.php/viaje/taxihttps://www.dnb.com/business-directory/company-

profiles.ciron_pierre_georges_leon.1bfc10a0cf1e587a972b29983c2e5753.html

Tele = + 34-609 47 65 61

You would not have seen that line of taxis over last weekend. There were just no cabs around. As I mentioned earlier, family members were unable to make a short trip because of the likely difficulty of getting a return cab and being stuck in the countryside.

Even getting back to the airport required booking the day before, as it is simply very difficult to get a cab "on spec". As in the UK, drivers have given up the fairly poorly paid work as cab drivers and found other jobs post- pandemic.

I am not putting a dampener on the Palma/Soller train - but I am confirming my own experience of it being crowded as Kjorg's son had also found out. Lovely experience if you are OK with being jammed in.

Edited by Harters

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, nyer said:

rogerb, can you tell me how far the bus to Illetas beach is from where the shuttle drops us off outside the port?  Thanks for your help.

The shuttle bus will take you to the Parc de Mar opposite the Cathedral  and is in the opposite direction  to Illetas .

The bus stop is in the road behind Porto Pi this the  shopping center you will see on google maps . And about a 10min waalk from the cruise terminal if you ae on one of the larger ships that have to dock at the furthest  dock is is a long walk ( 30 mins),

You want the number 4 bus .and is about a 20 min ride .

Personally  i would get a taxi if you can its cheap and less hassle.