Thomas Cook

Kendo44

2 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

I wonder what they will do about seat reservations.

I still think it is a cheek to charge £140 (£35 per person each way) just to sit next to my wife!

Will they just give you seat for seat (where possible) or does the mad rush to reserve your seat start again I wonder.

i do feel for the staff as they wake up to this news. 

34 minutes ago, happy v said:

It will depend on if they charter a new aircraft, or just consolidate on existing flights.

If they consolidate I guess that is £140 I've lost, oh well far better than a lost holiday or even a lost job.

I have been made redundant myself 4 times and it never gets easier and people don't seem to understand it is not your fault. Maybe some might open independent travel agents. 

6 minutes ago, Kendo44 said:

I’ve just received email from p and o saying holiday is secure and still going ahead.

That's good news! I'm hoping it will be the same for my sister but she's not due to go until next July so they may not contact her quite so quickly.

9 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

That's good news! I'm hoping it will be the same for my sister but she's not due to go until next July so they may not contact her quite so quickly.

I've just received an email too.I presume it will be sent out to all who have future bookings made via Thomas Cook, whatever the date of the cruise

I have received emails from P&O and Celebrity to say all is going ahead and Celebrity have added that any money paid to Thomas Cook is considered as paid to Celebrity. The holiday which includes flights and hotels has been classed as a Direct Celebrity Cruises booking. It appears they will also honour the discount given to us by Thomas Cook. 

7 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

I have received emails from P&O and Celebrity to say all is going ahead and Celebrity have added that any money paid to Thomas Cook is considered as paid to Celebrity. The holiday which includes flights and hotels has been classed as a Direct Celebrity Cruises booking. It appears they will also honour the discount given to us by Thomas Cook. 

Great to know all monies paid are secure for Celebrity cruises.  Feel sure this is the same for P&O.  Those who have very recently paid over their balance must have had some concern.  Don't know whether P&O will honour the discount though.  Still our holidays are safe that's the main thing.

6 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Tui and TC did a lot of code share flights out of Scotland outwith the main season, so presumably from other “regional” areas as well. Looks like the October school holiday time will be affected by this.

Good news for P&O re ex Soton sales for those looking for a replacement holiday.

I was wondering as well about the Discount as was assuming we might lose it so will be a bonus if we get it.

We normally use a well known cruise company beginning with B but booked two cruises with Thomas Cook, one last September ( Princess) and one for next May ( Iona) We booked through Thomas Cook because they were advertising if you have a Defence Discount Card you can get gift cards with 4% off.  Well even as far back as last June when we had to pay the balance for the last September Cruise I decided it was too risky to buy the Thomas Cook gift cards as there was talk about them being in trouble then. I was worried something might happen the few days in between buying them, getting them send to you and using them.  

I do wonder what will happen to anyone that has bought the gift cards and hadn’t used them to pay the holiday yet. I think, unfortunately, they will lose the money as you had to buy them using a debit card it won’t accept credit cards.  I think if you have part paid for a holiday or hotel using the Tesco Club Card points the insurance doesn’t cover that.  So expect the TC gift cards to be similar. Anyone any info on that? Mind you the travel experts on all channels on the telly today were saying your insurance doesn’t cover companies going bust anyway. So you have to rely on the ABTA, ATOL or you Credit Card cover.  Good job P & O have it sorted and reassured people ASAP

We've had our e-mail from P&O but we just feel so very sad about today's news. We also holiday with Inghams in February and they are 'on the ball' at the moment too.

I know that TC is not all linked to British owners etc etc but we feel so sorry to see yet another great British name 'go under'. It is a very sad day for everyone concerned and our thoughts go out to those affected -- particularly the employees as it is their livelihood and they now find themselves with no job. Watching the passengers on the last plane to land applauding the crew actually brought a tear to my eye :-(

• Like 3

I have paid for my seats on the aircraft, the payment was taken by P&O, so I am hoping this is refunded somehow, on board credit would be fine, or seat reservations on the new flight.

I do echo what everyone else is saying, that this is a real shame for all concerned, I feel most for the Thomas Cook employees, imagine been a rep abraod? Very sad.

Edited by Rob1966
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Rob1966 said:

I have paid for my seats on the aircraft, the payment was taken by P&O, so I am hoping this is refunded somehow, on board credit would be fine, or seat reservations on the new flight.

I do echo what everyone else is saying, that this is a real shame for all concerned, I feel most for the Thomas Cook employees, imagine been a rep abraod? Very sad.

Ditto your thoughts for the employees Rob. 

There was a clip on our local news showing Thomas Cook reps in uniform at the airports still trying to help passengers get home, despite having just lost their jobs. 

Hats off to them and we wish them all the best for the future. 

Andy

• Like 2

On 9/23/2019 at 8:22 AM, MX-Drew said:

I still think it is a cheek to charge £140 (£35 per person each way) just to sit next to my wife!

I bet you would gladly pay £140 to sit next to Taylor Swift.

If you refuse to pay £140 to sit next to your wife, some lucky guy is going to get in there.  Does she know about L'oreal perfume advertising slogans?

Regards John

1 hour ago, john watson said:

I bet you would gladly pay £140 to sit next to Taylor Swift.

If you refuse to pay £140 to sit next to your wife, some lucky guy is going to get in there.  Does she know about L'oreal perfume advertising slogans?

Regards John

First you lose the bet as I would gladly pay £140 NOT to sit next to Taylor Swift!

My point is I remember the days when the cost of an airline ticket was just that, and no extra cost to sit next to a window, aisle or your partner etc!

1 hour ago, MX-Drew said:

First you lose the bet as I would gladly pay £140 NOT to sit next to Taylor Swift!

My point is I remember the days when the cost of an airline ticket was just that, and no extra cost to sit next to a window, aisle or your partner etc!

You will also no doubt remember that the ticket price then was a lot more than it is now!

36 minutes ago, wowzz said:

You will also no doubt remember that the ticket price then was a lot more than it is now!

Prices were higher and we all wore suites or a nice frock as flying was such a special event. The flight attendants were all qualified nurses as well. No ban on peanuts, which came with the free drinks 😀

There i s a Q and A section now on the P & O website, covers many different things, is does state they will honour your Thomas Cook price as below.

Will there be any difference in my price?

It’s possible that Thomas Cook has given you a discount and this may differ from our price. We will of course honour this but we may need evidence of this price. If so, we will be in contact with you shortly.

If you purchased any holiday extras, such as taxi transfers, you will need to contact your travel insurer/service provider for advice.

• Like 1