Free perks questions..........

matj2000

Can someone give me the lowdown on the free perks that NCL offers. 

We got the Drink package,  3 day package , WiFI , & shore excursions.

Besides the up front charges at the initial booking,  what are other charges that I am going to run into?

I see NCL wants to sell upgrade package,  is it really necessary?

Also I see Cagney's, Le Bistro, & Italian Restaurant are ala cart now,   How does that work with a dining package?  Are we going to be able to eat without even more  extra charges?

I have this feeling that in the end it is going to be very expensive.  What do you think??

Edited by matj2000

@matj2000

We got the Drink package,  3 day package , WiFI , & shore excursions.    The Shorex credits only occur after you have done the shorex.  My suggestion is that you phone the Shorex desk in Miami and RESERVE your shorex so you don't book till on board and then the credit is actually used to pay for the shorex.

The WiFi is activated through the Computer Manager who will explain fully and help you set up.

Besides the up front charges at the initial booking,  what are other charges that I am going to run into?  None as you will have paid the Gratuity charges in your Final Payment.  There is no need to tip.

I see NCL wants to sell upgrade package,  is it really necessary?   If you are happy with your cabin then not at all, we have crusied many times and have never bothered.

Also I see Cagney's, Le Bistro, & Italian Restaurant are ala cart now,   How does that work with a dining package?   You go to the desk at the entry, having booked your dining either online or when you board.  They will ask if you want to use the package.  Only 1 entree each.   Tipping is again not necessary.  Are we going to be able to eat without even more  extra charges?   Yes, there are at least 2 Main Dining Rooms, a Buffet and a 24 hour "diner"

I assume the upgrade package is the upgrade to the Premium Plus beverage package. That does depend a bit on what you would drink, but for me it has very little value. If you drink premium beverages and like bottles of wine with your meals etc then it may be worth it.

When in port you may have to pay tax on beverages consumed. It is usually about 8% I believe.

The beverage package includes drinks up to $15, and doesn't include bottled water, bottles of wine and speciality coffee. I fine it easy to keep within these limits and wine by the glass is fine, but if that may be a problem then it could be that the upgrade to Premium Plus is worth it.

2 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@matj2000

Besides the up front charges at the initial booking,  what are other charges that I am going to run into?  None as you will have paid the Gratuity charges in your Final Payment.  There is no need to tip.

I see NCL wants to sell upgrade package,  is it really necessary?   If you are happy with your cabin then not at all, we have crusied many times and have never bothered.

Also I see Cagney's, Le Bistro, & Italian Restaurant are ala cart now,   How does that work with a dining package?   You go to the desk at the entry, having booked your dining either online or when you board.  They will ask if you want to use the package.  Only 1 entree each.   Tipping is again not necessary.  Are we going to be able to eat without even more  extra charges?   Yes, there are at least 2 Main Dining Rooms, a Buffet and a 24 hour "diner"

Thanks for the response.     For the upgrade package,  I was not clear about that.   Not the cabin, I am good with that.

I actually meant they want to upgrade the free drink package for $283.       Do many people do that?

As far as dining, I know there are plenty of complimentary options, but I just wanted to find out what the dining package actually gets you.   You said 1 entrée per person,  do you also get appetizer, salad, & dessert?   

Is there a connection fee for WIFI?

5 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

I assume the upgrade package is the upgrade to the Premium Plus beverage package. That does depend a bit on what you would drink, but for me it has very little value. If you drink premium beverages and like bottles of wine with your meals etc then it may be worth it.

When in port you may have to pay tax on beverages consumed. It is usually about 8% I believe.

The beverage package includes drinks up to $15, and doesn't include bottled water, bottles of wine and speciality coffee. I fine it easy to keep within these limits and wine by the glass is fine, but if that may be a problem then it could be that the upgrade to Premium Plus is worth it.

This is exactly what I was looking for..      I don't think I need to upgrade...ThankYou.

2 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

Is there a connection fee for WIFI?

Once you've used up your 250 minutes you need to pay if you want to get to stuff "outside" the ship.  If you just want to use the app for checking the electronic schedule or make reservations then there's no fee.

@matj2000

As far as dining, I know there are plenty of complimentary options, but I just wanted to find out what the dining package actually gets you.   You said 1 entrée per person,  do you also get appetizer, salad, & dessert?    Yes, almost unlimited; eg in Le Bistro they offer about 8 sides!!!!

Is there a connection fee for WIFI?   We have never bought a WiFi package, we get free WiFi time, but there is a fee I see on the paperwork; $3.95 I think.

HTH

5 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

As far as dining, I know there are plenty of complimentary options, but I just wanted to find out what the dining package actually gets you.   You said 1 entrée per person,  do you also get appetizer, salad, & dessert?   

I think that you technically get one of each course, but the only thing I've seen them be a little strict on is the entree.  If you want additional appetizers, etc, they will not charge you. 

5 minutes ago, kpjb said:

I think that you technically get one of each course, but the only thing I've seen them be a little strict on is the entree.  If you want additional appetizers, etc, they will not charge you. 

3 minutes ago, casofilia said:

If you are using the Latitude dining perks then you then are a lot less likely to have more than 1 of anything, at one point that included ONLY 1 SIDE Dish with the entree in Cagneys!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am fine with one side, app, entrée, etc.

I just didn't want to get in there and  half the menu be another up-charge.

Also the $3.95 wifi connection fee is fine.     I just didn't want it to be like $15 or something crazy. 

Thank you for all the dining info.  I had some of the same questions! 

If I may ask another question too.

I will be eating in the specialty dining with my 13yr old and 10yr old. I know I will pay extra for the 13yr old and my 10yr old can eat for free from the kids menu.  My question is.... if my 10yr old orders from the kids menu and I share my entrée and sides with her, will there be an additional cost? Are they really that picky or as long as she does not order her own entrée we will be ok. I just know if we eat at Teppanyaki she will wants some of mine but I just don't see paying for a whole meal/entrée for her when she eats like a bird.  Thanks!

18 minutes ago, kpjb said:

Technically the only course which is limited is the entree. Apparently staff sometimes suggest that other courses are limited but they are wrong.

34 minutes ago, kpjb said:

Technically there is no limit except for the one entree. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

This is exactly what I was looking for..      I don't think I need to upgrade...ThankYou.

The drinks package covers the first $15 of all of your bar drinks. There aren't very many drinks that exceed that (unless you start reaching for the top shelf items). 

8 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The drinks package covers the first $15 of all of your bar drinks. There aren't very many drinks that exceed that (unless you start reaching for the top shelf items). 

I will be good.

It sounds pretty much like the drink packages on RC & Celebrity.

I never had to deviate 

As far as the premium booze pkg, it’s really not “all or nothing” - if you develop a fondness for a drink that costs $17, then you can still get it and pay $2 extra + 20% autograt...you’d have to really drink a lot of upcharge drinks before it justified the additional $35/day (more or less).  

Too easy to get into a mindset of “no premium pkg, no expensive drinks” - just trying to clarify thinking here.

3 hours ago, matj2000 said:

Also the $3.95 wifi connection fee is fine.     I just didn't want it to be like $15 or something crazy.

I'm not sure where the $3.95 comes from, maybe someone can share the link?  I suggest you review at the Internet help desk on the ship what your connection fees are.  Just connecting to WiFi costs nothing, connecting to the internet outside the ship costs money.

The Free-at-sea perk is 250 minutes of internet, easily managed by going to logoff.com when you're done with your session.  After that time is up I believe you'll get a prompt to extend, and it will tell you what the rates are.

First a question - I looked forward to attaining Latitude Club Silver level in order to receive the Open Bar perk.

Now this year I do not see that benefit at any level.  Very disappointing.

Now let me comment on how the five perks work (or did work):

Unlimited open bar - the price for this goes up yearly.  In 2019 it is up to $100/day plus gratuities.  For a 7-night trip that is $700+$140=$840 charged to your account.  Drink prices used to be about $15/cocktail with daily specials at $12.  $100 divided by $15 is 6.6 cocktails/day to make the plan worthwhile.  If your traveling partner drinks and you do not you must both buy the package or not.

Shore excursion credits - SEs cost $100/person on the average so your 10% Latitudes credit of 10% is not much.  However SE credits are per/SE so if you take five SEs that could be $500.  A more common credit is 50% which in some cases can cover a whole SE.  Be careful with trying to double up on this credit.  The ship's clerks do not know how to do that.  I had to straighten out the problem with NCL after my return. 

Specialty Dining - A 3-Day SD perk gets you a full meal at the SD room, drinks and gratuities not included.  It is not just a free entree. The $15/day onboard service charge that you pay goes to both your room steward and to the staff in the complementary dining rooms.

WIFI - Wifi packages are of two types : WiFi or Internet Cafe. 

Use your smart phone and have your choice of four packages featuring a varying number of Internet capabilities.  If you have an online limit be sure to logoff when you are finished.  Some phones will automatically contact their OS vendor online for OS or firmware updates.  Placing the device in Airplane mode should prevent this. 

You can make phone-calls off the ship but beware of the expensive roaming charges for your phone plan.  Also see VoIP below.

Free Wifi:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=45#ncl

The free Cruise Norwegian app allows users to tap into their onboard passenger information and manage their onboard account, communicate with other passengers onboard, make their own dining and excursion reservations, and view all ship activities. (The similar but separate app iConcierge is no longer available in the NCL fleet.)

The Cruise Norwegian app is free to download, but there is a nominal one-time fee ($9.95 per person) to make and send unlimited calls and messages to other passengers while onboard. The Cruise Norwegian app also allows ship-to-shore and shore-to-ship calling capabilities using VoIP (Voice over IP technology). A per-minute fee applies for this service.

Internet Cafe All ships have an IC with desk-top computers and printers for your use.  These are not fully-capable desktop computers.  There are no games or word-processors, just a web-browser.  You must login and create an NCL online account and purchase an internet plan.  By-the-minute, One hour, 100 minute and 200 minute plans are available.  Be sure to logoff when you are finished using your minutes.

Dave

Silver Level

16 minutes ago, Felinis said:

First a question - I looked forward to attaining Latitude Club Silver level in order to receive the Open Bar perk.

Now this year I do not see that benefit at any level.  Very disappointing.

What made you think that was a latitudes perk? It has never been so for any level.

48 minutes ago, Felinis said:

SEs cost $100/person on the average so your 10% Latitudes credit of 10% is not much.  However SE credits are per/SE so if you take five SEs that could be $500

Additional 0 there?  10% of 100 is $10, five SE's with a $10 discount is $50 savings....