Classic Drink Package Perk Tips Included?

joseph123

I am receiving the classic drink package as well as free tips and a $300 OBC on my upcoming cruise and am wondering how tips will be handled on the drinks package. Will I need to pay a tip for each drink when ordered or will I be charged with tips upfront on the total cost of the drink package as if I were paying for it? Does anyone know how this works?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, joseph123 said:

I am receiving the classic drink package as well as free tips and a $300 OBC on my upcoming cruise and am wondering how tips will be handled on the drinks package. Will I need to pay a tip for each drink when ordered or will I be charged with tips upfront on the total cost of the drink package as if I were paying for it? Does anyone know how this works?

If the drink package was a "perk", so are the tips on it.  No need to tip extra, unless you want to.

Thanks for the reply. Would you happen to know how they handle ordering premium drinks if you are on the classic package? I like to order Grand Marnies after dinner and I do not believe they are included in the classic package. Also, can I order specialty coffees in the dining room and at the coffee bar?

If you order a drink higher than the Classic Package price point ($9) then you will just pay the difference and a 20% gratuity.  That would be the only tip you would be charged.

Yes, you can order specialty coffees with the package in the MDR, Buffet, specialty restaurants and coffee bar.

1 hour ago, nunuc2000 said:

The list from Celebrity showing what is included for the classic and premium package says that 20% gratuity will be added to each check, which I read as each time I order a drink, I’m paying 20%... is this new?

That was what I was presuming, but based on the comments shared it does not seem as if that would be the case. If so it would actually be like double tipping since you pay for tips in the daily rate up front.

3 hours ago, nunuc2000 said:

The list from Celebrity showing what is included for the classic and premium package says that 20% gratuity will be added to each check, which I read as each time I order a drink, I’m paying 20%... is this new?

I believe the check they are referring to is the purchase of the package if buying not getting as a perk, so if you were paying $50 a day for package they would add $10 a day for the tip.

1 hour ago, joseph123 said:

That was what I was presuming, but based on the comments shared it does not seem as if that would be the case. If so it would actually be like double tipping since you pay for tips in the daily rate up front.

Are you talking about the daily gratuities each person ays per cabuin?  If so it has nothing to do with beverage packages, it is for things such as complimentary dining, cabin attendants and support crew.  There is a breakdown of who gets what but don't have it handy.  As mentioned above if you have a beverage package as a perk the gratuity is included, if you purchase a beverage package the gratuity is added to the purchase price (in some countries it is included in the price such as Australia).  In either case tips will not be added as drinks are purchased, of course you are free to add if you want.

On 9/21/2019 at 8:51 PM, joseph123 said:

BTW - I find that abt half of the bars wont make you sign a receipt while half will give you one to sign.  I figure the ones that do are “asking/looking” for extra tips. My theory is if you sit at a bar for a long time talking to the bartender, and he’s talking back (😀) leave an extra tip. Otherwise consider it included.

1 minute ago, cruisestitch said:

Was this on Celebrity? recently?  Because now there are no slips to sign unless you go over your package price point.

Was last year on Celebrity and on several trips this year on RCL.  Although will admit happens more on RCL.  Glad to hear it has stopped on Celebrity.