"Jersey" week

MamaTene

It’s the first full week in November. Public schools are closed for the teachers convention Thursday and Friday, some are closed on Tuesday for Election Day, some close the entire week, and for those that don’t, it’s typically a slow schoolwork week because so many parents take their kids on vacation. Flights are super expensive, but it’s an easy drive for everyone in the state to Bayonne and Manhattan. We’ve cruised three times that week, lots of kids.

7 hours ago, MamaTene said:

Exactly what is it? When is it this year? 

11/3-11/9. Will be on anthem, with my kids and probably 1000 more. LOL

For you future planners Jersey week 2020 will be 11/1-11/7

Edited by jptoz

That is not the only date be careful about. We sailed Anthem out of Bayonne Jan 19 to Jan 28 2018 which we found out later was a school vacation for some private schools in Manhattan. This cruise was full of uncontrolled kids with rude and disrespectful parents. We realized there may be problems when folks at the muster drill couldn’t be bothered listening or waiting for the captain’s dismissal. Toddlers were running all around in the MDR. At ports they didn’t wait and just cut to the front of the line. Invaded the Diamond lounge by walking in behind someone before the door closed. Continued to be a horrible experience in many other ways. The staff was overwhelmed and brought on extra security while in port in Miami.

I wish there was a way in advance to know which cruises to avoid. Now I know to check for Jersey Week in addition to https://www.kosherica.com/ and avoid any of their promoted cruises.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BeagleAgility said:

I'm going on 2/23-3/1 out of Bayonne on the Anthem.  Should I be worried?

Jersey week is in November and Yeshiva week is in January and the group is on Allure in 2020, so only thing to worry about is the cold.  That week is the week after winter vacation for a lot of the northeast public schools, so you miss that too.

2 hours ago, BeagleAgility said:

I'm going on 2/23-3/1 out of Bayonne on the Anthem.  Should I be worried?

My kid have off 2/17-2/19 but some might take their kids out for the week. So you lucked out and just missed it.

On 9/22/2019 at 11:10 AM, mjkacmom said:

It’s the first full week in November. Public schools are closed for the teachers convention Thursday and Friday, some are closed on Tuesday for Election Day, some close the entire week, and for those that don’t, it’s typically a slow schoolwork week because so many parents take their kids on vacation. Flights are super expensive, but it’s an easy drive for everyone in the state to Bayonne and Manhattan. We’ve cruised three times that week, lots of kids.

Ugh! I've never even heard of this and we sail the week of November 3rd. I just hope the kids are under control.

On 9/22/2019 at 5:47 PM, jptoz said:

11/3-11/9. Will be on anthem, with my kids and probably 1000 more. LOL

For you future planners Jersey week 2020 will be 11/1-11/7

We will be on the same cruise.

5 hours ago, BillHana said:

That is not the only date be careful about. We sailed Anthem out of Bayonne Jan 19 to Jan 28 2018 which we found out later was a school vacation for some private schools in Manhattan. This cruise was full of uncontrolled kids with rude and disrespectful parents. We realized there may be problems when folks at the muster drill couldn’t be bothered listening or waiting for the captain’s dismissal. Toddlers were running all around in the MDR. At ports they didn’t wait and just cut to the front of the line. Invaded the Diamond lounge by walking in behind someone before the door closed. Continued to be a horrible experience in many other ways. The staff was overwhelmed and brought on extra security while in port in Miami.

I wish there was a way in advance to know which cruises to avoid. Now I know to check for Jersey Week in addition to https://www.kosherica.com/ and avoid any of their promoted cruises.

OMG, that sounds like a nightmare.

I just reread the title. Is this only for students from New Jersey? If so, then I don't think there would be much of a noticeable difference in the amount of kids. If it's a US thing then ugh! for me. 😁  I'm guessing the Anthem will be a popular ship for kids? It will be my first time on her so I won't have any comparisons.

Edited by ReneeFLL

1 minute ago, ReneeFLL said:

I just reread the title. Is this only for students from New Jersey? If so, then I don't think there would be much of a noticeable difference in the amount of kids. If it's a US thing then ugh! for me. 😁  I'm guessing the Anthem will be a popular ship for kids? It will be my first time on her so I won't have any comparison.

Yes as far as I know, only for NJ. Its also popular because its a kids sail free cruise, So people from nj take advantage of this and get a pretty good vacation for cheap. As for the amount of kids onboard, last time I was on there were  over  1000 kids onboard. My kids love it on Anthem, alot for them to do. Anthem is a beautiful ship but a different type of ship, built for colder climates. She has a lot of really cool indoor venues.

31 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Thanks for the info. Has the Anthem always sailed from Florida or has she ever been out of the Northeast? Does she normally have over 1000 kids or is it more because it's a holiday?

Anthem has never sailed from Florida.

24 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Thanks for the info. My mistake. We're sailing on the Allure and not the Anthem. Whew!

Plus I should have said that Anthem has never been based in Florida.  She may have made port stops at Port Canaveral.

Thankfully our cruise on Anthem ends Nov 2.  Will escape this week by a hair.  Have been on it before and glad

we don't have to repeat it.  Love kids & have 6 grandchildren we have taken on cruises, but want this to be

quiet and relaxing as we've had an extremely hectic summer & fall with all kinds of family issues we're close

to putting a satisfactory end to.