Venice accommodation

wally_bushy

Popadopoli Hotel.   Within walking distance to the Piazzale Roma ,   (the Vaporetti termini ) and the people mover which will take you to the cruise terminal.    It is a small hotel with its own bijou canal.    

• Like 1

We were there this past May for 2 nights before our cruise. We stayed at the Bauer Palazzo. Took a water taxi from the airport, it took us straight to the door of the hotel...no dragging luggage across cobblestone streets!, Great location, just a few minutes from St Mark's square. Very quiet, elevator, breakfast included, beautiful patio overlooking the Grand Canal. We actually saw the Riviera coming in!.

• Like 1

Another vote for Antiche Figure. We enjoyed several days there post-cruise a few years ago. In the afternoon, get a glass of wine from the bar, sit at a table outside and watch the crowds on their way to and from the train station. Great people watching spot. A couple of good small restaurants nearby.

1127-2.jpg

• Like 1

Make sure you go to the ports of call to understand the costs of transportation to some of these properties. For some it’s inconsequential. Others hate to pay those amounts for taxis. Venice is a whole nother kettle of fish when it comes to transportation. 

2 hours ago, ORV said:

Make sure you go to the ports of call to understand the costs of transportation to some of these properties. For some it’s inconsequential. Others hate to pay those amounts for taxis. Venice is a whole nother kettle of fish when it comes to transportation. 

Good point!

Arriving by train so should not be far to go.

Do you have an English site for reference, as all the sites I go to are in Italian?

I have read they can be expensive

Last year we stayed at Al Ponte Mocenigo for several nights.... LOVED the neighborhood.  It's not expensive (kind of a faded elegance) , and the vaporetto stop was 50 yards from the hotel.  Very good breakfasts.  Area not that touristy, plus a nearby University, we were really able to soak up the Venetian way of life - what's left of it.

And, bonus, the Alilaguna boat from the airport has a stop right at San Stae just steps from the hotel.

We are returning for 4 nights next October.

• Like 1

We stayed in the Sina Palazzo Sant' Angelo for two nights and loved it.  We belong to the Small Luxury Hotels (slh.com), and they have some really nice places, some more affordable than others, but if you join you get a room upgrade because of your membership.

On 9/24/2019 at 2:32 PM, Redtravel said:

Stayed at the Marriott in Piazza Roma. Easy to get to using bus or taxi. No boat needed. 

The OP asked for an authentic place.  I hardly think that a Marriott is an authentic place.  Same comment applies to the suggestion for a Hilton hotel that another post suggested.

DON

• Like 1

We stayed 2 nights at Avagoria Locanda https://www.avogaria.com/

Small boutique hotel with a great breakfast.

It was close enough for us to walk/wheel our suitcases from Piazza Roma (but you do need to get them over a couple of small bridges with steps though).

It was perfect for us and cost about 200 euro per night

Venice can be a problem. Staying in a location accessible by land taxi is important. It can save your vacation.  Last year when we were in Venice prior to taking a cruise, the vaparettos went on strike, the high waters made walking in Venice almost impassible. The watertaxis stopped running because the high water would not allow them passage under bridges. People who stayed in authentic places found themselves without any way to get to the main land other than to walk carrying their luggage.  In some places it was waist high.  Stay on the main land.

9 hours ago, donaldsc said:

The OP asked for an authentic place.  I hardly think that a Marriott is an authentic place.  Same comment applies to the suggestion for a Hilton hotel that another post suggested.

DON

Are you familiar with the Hilton Molino Stucky?

4 minutes ago, ORV said:

Are you familiar with the Hilton Molino Stucky?

No but a place w 379 rooms and these features

• Rooftop pool open mid-May to September, see special closure dates
  • 7 restaurants and bars, including a panoramic rooftop bar
  • eforea Spa at 600 square meters and fitness center
  • Venice's largest congress center with space for up to 1,000 delegates
  • Close to Venice attractions via shuttle boat; transport options available 
  • Industrial and historical building on a peaceful oasis in Venice

does not sound very authentic to me.  I doubt if historically interesting older Venice hotels had 379 rooms and a rooftop bar.

It may be a very nice place to stay but not authentic.

DON

• Like 1

I would stay on the main land too. It's a total nightmare to get around Venice towing luggage unless you have big bucks and can afford to pay someone to tote your luggage around for you.

There are plenty of nice Italian hotels and guests houses on the mainland. Cheap, quick and reliable public transport to and from Venice. You can then stroll around Venice at your leisure.

On the day of your cruise you can either get public transport again or a Taxi to the cruise port.

15 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Venice can be a problem. Staying in a location accessible by land taxi is important. It can save your vacation.  Last year when we were in Venice prior to taking a cruise, the vaparettos went on strike, the high waters made walking in Venice almost impassible. The watertaxis stopped running because the high water would not allow them passage under bridges. People who stayed in authentic places found themselves without any way to get to the main land other than to walk carrying their luggage.  In some places it was waist high.  Stay on the main land.

It is absolutely true that "Aqua Alta" (high tides) happen in Venice, and moreso in Oct/Nov/Dec than any other time of year.  It's something that Venice prepares for, elevates walkways, and the residents wear overshoe booties.

That said, the situation you refer to from last Oct/Nov was highly unusual - and the height of the waters was record-breaking.  It was the result of a really big storm in the Med, a storm so bad it completely washed out the roads to and from Portofino, and damaged waterfronts all over the place.  I know all of this because we were in Venice for the vaporetto strike, and cruising in Italy during that storm (we managed to miss the aqua alta by 48 hours).  There are some things you can prepare for, and some things that are just an act of God.  I really think last year was the latter.

People that say that shlepping luggage all over Venice is pain the in rear are correct.  But there are things you can do to avoid that.  At Piazalle Roma there is a luggage depot right next door to the people mover to the port.  Leave the airport, get on the bus to P. Roma, leave the bulk of your luggage at the depot for your stay, and get on the vaporetto with a small roller.  Alternately, you can stay at a hotel right next to a vaporetto stop and have 50 yards and no bridges to haul that luggage.  You can choose a less fancy hotel and use the money to indulge in a water taxi to and from the hotel.  The hotel I mentioned above is quite inexpensive (for Venice) at 160 - 200 euros per night.

If ease of use in getting around is important, then staying in Mestre on the mainland might be for you.  But the OP mentioned authentic, which leads me to believe they want to experience Venice.  I personally want to encourage that, as I am utterly bewitched by this place and would love for others to fall under it's spell as well.  Venice is a place unlike any other.  For us, the extra steps we have to take to enjoy it are more than worth it.
  • Like 1