FCO to PBI on AA

We will be flying to Venice, boarding the Explorer to Rome. Using American Airlines mileage for business class. 

We cruise 10 days and then dock in Citavecvhio  for FCO airport at 8am. There is a flight at 11:50am for PHL.

We will travel to airport by private car. 

(Then first class to PBI). 

Is that too close? 

Any suggestions?

Otherwise, we will need to spend a day and night at an airport hotel. 

Hope someone can help. 

Sheila

2 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

We will be flying to Venice, boarding the Explorer to Rome. Using American Airlines mileage for business class. 

We cruise 10 days and then dock in Citavecvhio  for FCO airport at 8am. There is a flight at 11:50am for PHL.

We will travel to airport by private car. 

(Then first class to PBI). 

Is that too close? 

Any suggestions?

Otherwise, we will need to spend a day and night at an airport hotel. 

Hope someone can help. 

Sheila

Sheila, I think it’s close but probably doable via a private car transfer...but as always, traffic is a factor.  What day of the week are you docking in Civitavecchia?

I just double-checked Google Maps; they’re saying 43 minutes from the port to FCO right now, which is evening in Italy...so with morning traffic you’re probably looking at an hour (best case) to two or more hours (bad case) so with docking at 8:00 AM and could disembark and meet your car by 8:30 or so, you should be able to get to FCO by 9:30 or 9:45 barring any bad traffic.  That’s within your two hour recommended window but there’s not much room for error.

i guess it depends on your personal tolerance for, uh, ‘adventure’...

11:50 AM is fine with a private car and the fact you will have Business Class.  I am very familiar with FCO.  It is those 10:30 to 11:00 AM flights that I recommend to people not doing.

The drive is about 45 minutes.

If you have not done it already to very reliable private car companies are https://www.romecabs.com at www.romecabs.com and RomeInLimo at http://www.romeinlimo.com

I mention this because some companies are not too reliable.  Book the transfers early no matter who you use.

I would want to be off the ship early.

I have done the drive many times weekdays and weekends and 45 minutes is very realistic.  Now if you were driving into Rome I would have a lot of concerns with respect to traffic.

Keith

Sheila -

We had a limo service take us from the port to Termini (station in Rome) and the traffic, even on the outskirts of Rome, was horrendous.  It was a week day in November.

Even with First Class you will need to be at FCO 90 mins before the flight - FCO is not the most efficient airport in the world and things are going to take time.    Which means you have to be at FCO at 1020 at the latest.

Civitavecchia is also not the most efficient port in the world - you get off the ship into a tent (permanent but nonetheless a tent!).  Suppose you leave the port at 0900 you should be at FCO by 1000.  But personally I would not want to cut things this close.

We used Romeinlimo.com for our transfer and they were excellent.  In your place I would ask them what time you need to leave the port to make your flight comfortably...which is what I did for our train too.  I then added 30mins to the estimate and it was barely enough.  Driver was really good and I have no complaint at all about their service.

Gerry