Chase Sapphire card for trip insurance?

FirstTeacher

3 hours ago, sanger727 said:

I'm looking at the card benefits. How does redeeming the points work? The cards I have now just accumulate cash back and deposit the cash in your account. My next trip was booked air and hotel with a TA because I was able to get a much better deal than booking them separately. Would I be able to book a trip like that with the points or do I have to book through their platform? Any "bundle" deals or is it just straight rack rate for plane tickets and rooms?

There are two ways to use points for travel. Transfer points to partner travel programs like Southwest, United, Jet Blue Marriott and Hyatt to name a few. Then book with the airline or hotel with points. That is the best way if your travel is with one of those programs if you can use those programs.  Or use points to book flights and hotels with other airlines and hotels thru their Ultimate Rewards travel portal. So if I am flying Jet Blue I transfer points to True Blue and book with Jet Blue. But for Iceland no transfer partner so I used the Chase portal for flights to Iceland on IcelandAir. 

I use my points to book hotels.  Chase uses Expedia as their booking platform and it's a simple process.  When you get to the hotel they show a prepaid booking although they may run a credit card for possible incidentals or a damage deposit.

1 hour ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

This has been a really helpful thread. I’ve wondered about this card since it came out. Has anyone ever been successful at having them lower the APR from the published one? 

APR is set by your credit score.  I don't even know what my APR is though as  I never carry a balance on my credit cards. And carrying a balance on a card like the Reserve that defeats the purpose.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

APR is set by your credit score.  I don't even know what my APR is though as  I never carry a balance on my credit cards. And carrying a balance on a card like the Reserve that defeats the purpose.

I should clarify...I do know that, but the “best” starting APR listed on their site is even high, so I was wondering if they ever offer a lower one than advertised.

3 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I should clarify...I do know that, but the “best” starting APR listed on their site is even high, so I was wondering if they ever offer a lower one than advertised.

Premium credit cards with lucrative benefits come with high annual fees and high APRs. In reality, the APR doesn't matter if you pay your bill on time and in full. I have far more credit cards than I care to admit and I've never looked at any of their APRs--not even out of curiosity.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I wasn’t aware that you could negotiate APR. Since it didn’t matter to me I never paid any attention or thought about getting a lower APR than advertised. So I don’t know. Those who carry a balance or think they might have to sometime carry a balance would want  a card with a lower APR. 

2 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

That is probably how they can offer such wonderful benefits.  I have used them for tickets a lot.  Only problem is you have to call the airline to pick the seats.  We fly FC and sometimes there are not too many seats.

On 9/29/2019 at 6:00 AM, Charles4515 said:

The rumor is that they are not as good as the Chase Reserve benefits. Requires round trip air booked on the card.  If you already have an AMEX the new benefits might keep you paying the annual fee. But that’s the rumor.  Have to read the actual.  

They are REALLY EXCELLENT ON FLIGHTS.  They also get you the seat assignment.  They use fine hotels so breakfast is always included.

On 9/29/2019 at 6:00 AM, Charles4515 said:

The rumor is that they are not as good as the Chase Reserve benefits. Requires round trip air booked on the card.  If you already have an AMEX the new benefits might keep you paying the annual fee. But that’s the rumor.  Have to read the actual.  

They are REALLY EXCELLENT ON FLIGHTS.  They also get you the seat assignment.  They use fine hotels so breakfast is always included.

On 9/29/2019 at 9:47 AM, sippican said:

Be aware that their evacuation coverage only applies IF they preapprove it and make the arrangements.

Not the first thing on your mind in an emergency, and the cruise line probably has better contacts and situational awareness at sea.  If I remember correctly,  it only covers 30K.  The BoA Premium card is only good for 15K.  A medical policy is a wise addition to these cards.

We're using the BoA Cash Rewards, Delta Platinum, Amex Business Gold, and Bonvoy Brilliant for our cruising and travel related expenses.

Regarding Chase Sapphire Reserve points, they are very useful for booking hotels.  Points are worth 1.5:1 so, for example, a $300 hotel room will cost 20,000 pts.  Compare this to most point systems where it is 1:1.  And their hotel booking system (where you use points) is very simple, displays many hotels, and shows the points.

Hank

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Caroldoll said:

The new Amex travel insurance benefits we are discussing haven't been formally announced yet (only leaked via bloggers) and won't be in effect until 1/1/2020. Maybe they will be really excellent on flights, we just don't know yet.

11 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Regarding Chase Sapphire Reserve points, they are very useful for booking hotels.  Points are worth 1.5:1 so, for example, a $300 hotel room will cost 20,000 pts.  Compare this to most point systems where it is 1:1.  And their hotel booking system (where you use points) is very simple, displays many hotels, and shows the points.

Hank

That’s good to know

12 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

They're also useful for booking cruises at the same ratio. And all the travel insurance applies. Last year I booked an RCL cruise entirely with Chase Sapphire Reserve points. When I canceled a few days prior to sailing for medical reasons, the Chase Trip Cancellation insurance got all my points refunded. It took a lot of effort giving the insurance company all the documentation they required, but in the end, I was made whole.

• Like 1