Under the seat wheeled luggage

karinad

I'm still looking for an under the seat piece of luggage and I was on Amazon looking at a Samsonite piece. I went further down on the page where it describes it and I was kind of surprised that it said, "small enough to qualify as your personal item." So, I guess it is! As I've said before that in my case, I'm looking to replace my larger carry-on so I don't have to put it overhead because of lifting a heavy 21" piece.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the TravelSmith 360 spinner, purchased years ago when I traveled for work.  It does fit under seats but it did get stuck once.  The pilot came and pried it out after people got off the plane.  I think it caught on something.  The spinner wheels are great but an inch smaller all around would be better.  

I ended up going with a spinner American Tourister that was on sale for $40. I only travel once a yr, so I didn't want to invest a lot. This doesn't have a special pockets for any tablets and I didn't want to spend another $30. to get that feature. The test will be this Sat.!

On 9/29/2019 at 11:57 AM, Lois R said:

I use a tote bag as my personal item.....a purse fits inside of it so that purse does not take up any space.  I use a carry on that does fit in the overhead bin.

I just reread this.  Do you always get some sort of priority boarding?  It's only happened once, maybe twice, that there was no overhead bin space available for my carry on so I was super happy that the Lucas one that I mentioned fits comfortably under the seat.  I bought it for that reason but I really love it cause it helps organize things so well.  And I can easily travel for a long weekend with it.

1 hour ago, clo said:

I just reread this.  Do you always get some sort of priority boarding?  It's only happened once, maybe twice, that there was no overhead bin space available for my carry on so I was super happy that the Lucas one that I mentioned fits comfortably under the seat.  I bought it for that reason but I really love it cause it helps organize things so well.  And I can easily travel for a long weekend with it.

I get priority boarding when I fly Business class but I have also flown regular and had space in the overhead bin.

1 minute ago, Lois R said:

I have also flown regular and had space in the overhead bin.

Well, good luck.  It's a crap shoot and I decided to play it safe. I could even put my (large!) feet on it.

LUCAS Wheeled Underseat Cabin Bag 16"

1 minute ago, clo said:

Well, good luck.  It's a crap shoot and I decided to play it safe. I could even put my (large!) feet on it.

LUCAS Wheeled Underseat Cabin Bag 16"

Good luck with what? I haven't told anyone what to bring or what not to bring.  Play it however you want. 

3 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Good luck with what? I haven't told anyone what to bring or what not to bring.  Play it however you want. 

Huh?  This is advice people are giving.  And I gave the advice of what I do.  Pax are abusing carry on policies and airlines are mostly not enforcing them.  That's why I switched.  If I go to put my bag up and it's already full then I was in a not lovely place.  Now I have a workable backup plan.  When I have a 10 to 14 hour flight that's a good thing.  Unless of course I'm flying on the upper deck of the 747 🙂

I like the look and size of the Lucas bag, but not the one handle/post part, and the fact that you can't put it over the handle of your large/checked bag (no strap across the back to slide it over the handle of the suitcase). Amazon Basics has a very similar bag but with the missing features from the Lucas bag and it's the same 13x13x9 inch size as the Lucas bag mentioned above. The Amazon Basic bag in black is $54.99. I haven't purchased the bag so I have no actual review of it, but we are in the market for a new carry on rolling bag and this seems to fit our needs.

22 hours ago, TwinMamainMN said:

I like the look and size of the Lucas bag, but not the one handle/post part, and the fact that you can't put it over the handle of your large/checked bag (no strap across the back to slide it over the handle of the suitcase). Amazon Basics has a very similar bag but with the missing features from the Lucas bag and it's the same 13x13x9 inch size as the Lucas bag mentioned above. The Amazon Basic bag in black is $54.99. I haven't purchased the bag so I have no actual review of it, but we are in the market for a new carry on rolling bag and this seems to fit our needs.

It actually has straps but I've not tried to put it over the handle of the suitcase.  We always roll it.  And once we pick up our checked bag(s) it's a short walk to transpo.  Thanks for sharing that info.

• Like 1

This is my under seat bag.  It has lots of zippered pockets, light weight and has a sleeve on the back so you can slip it over the handle of your large bag.  It's by Travelon and I believe I paid about $85.

Travelon Wheeled Underseat Carry-On

Edited by tannise
  • Like 1

On 9/27/2019 at 9:06 AM, Anita Latte said:

So it is considered a personal item? Have you also traveled with an overhead bin carry on with the under the seat roller? If so, which airlines? Very curious...we're starting a season of travel...DS is studying overseas, so the whole family plans on traveling more.

The legacy airlines consider it your personal item, since it fits under the seat - you just can't have another  personal item like a purse (put your purse in the bag.) The "no frills" airlines officially consider it a carry on, since it is larger than the size they specify for personal items. You may be able to get away with it, but if not, they charge $100 for carry-ons paid for at or during boarding.

3 trips ago, we purchased the Ciao underseat bag at Costco and have really been pleased with them.  They hold a ton of stuff, yet are small enough that you can slide them under the seat in front of you.  While others have been asked/told to check their carry-ons, we just walk right past them with ours.  I don't know if Costco still carries them, but I know they're still available online.
https://www.amazon.com/Ciao-Luggage-Suitcase-Airplane-Weekender/dp/B01LTAP5ZE

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 11:29 AM, fyree39 said:

What model is that?

Hi, I don't know the model but looking on the QVC website, they sell the same one.  It is 82.98 on the Q.

I use Travel Pro luggage. The small carryons fits under the seat on my rural carrier and  major carriers and international flights. I’ve had this for about five years and it‘s still perfect but then again this luggage line is used mostly by airline crew, however anyone can purchase it. 

4205F5A6-1404-4A22-BA86-9A31B5E9E672.jpeg

20 hours ago, cruiselife4me said:

I use Travel Pro luggage. The small carryons fits under the seat on my rural carrier and  major carriers and international flights. I’ve had this for about five years and it‘s still perfect but then again this luggage line is used mostly by airline crew, however anyone can purchase it. 

4205F5A6-1404-4A22-BA86-9A31B5E9E672.jpeg

I like the look of this one!

On 11/3/2019 at 11:15 AM, clo said:

Pretty much identical to my Lucas one from ebags.

You're right!  I think they make them for different distributors.  Another thing I like is that it only weighs 4 pounds; 3 pounds lighter than our last ones.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂