New York things to do

loiner

On 9/30/2019 at 2:35 PM, njhorseman said:

What you're talking about are kosher style delis and they should not be referred to as "kosher delis". For example Katz's used to be an actual kosher deli but is now just kosher style. Though not as numerous as they used to be actual kosher delis can still be found in NY city.

One note: Many kosher delis (in terms of following all dietary laws and being under rabbinical supervision) would not be considered truly kosher by the most observant because they're open on the sabbath. 

There is a kosher deli in Brooklyn ,NY that is open on Saturday yet it is frequented by Orthodox Jews. It is the Mill Basin Deli.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

There is a kosher deli in Brooklyn ,NY that is open on Saturday yet it is frequented by Orthodox Jews. It is the Mill Basin Deli.

As I'm sure you know, there are more versions of Orthodox Judaism  than flavors of ice cream. What some groups might accept would be totally unacceptable to others.

10 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

As I'm sure you know, there are more versions of Orthodox Judaism  than flavors of ice cream. What some groups might accept would be totally unacceptable to others.

True ,but I personally know observant Jews who eat regularly at the Mill Basin Deli.While  it is open on Saturday it adheres to strict dietary laws.

12 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

True ,but I personally know observant Jews who eat regularly at the Mill Basin Deli.While  it is open on Saturday it adheres to strict dietary laws.

There's a big difference between observant and being highly orthodox.  You might be interested in this bit of information from the website of Ben's, which is a chain of 7 kosher delis in NY and Florida. They lease their restaurants to a non-Jew on the Sabbath and holidays their stores are open. Elsewhere  they point out that they are not Glatt Kosher and I'll bet that Mill Basin isn't either because they don't say they are:

Ben’s certification attests to it serving totally kosher food and that no dairy products are present in any way. The kashruth status of the food is not impaired by Bens being open on Shabbat and in fact Jewish law permits food made on Shabbat to be eaten by all after a sufficient amount of time has elapsed after Shabbat for it to have been made. In addition Ben’s stores are leased to a non-Jew for the Sabbath and the holidays that Ben’s is open

Edited by njhorseman

12 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

There's a big difference between observant and being highly orthodox.  You might be interested in this bit of information from the website of Ben's, which is a chain of 7 kosher delis in NY and Florida. They lease their restaurants to a non-Jew on the Sabbath and holidays their stores are open. Elsewhere  they point out that they are not Glatt Kosher and I'll bet that Mill Basin isn't either because they don't say they are:

Ben’s certification attests to it serving totally kosher food and that no dairy products are present in any way. The kashruth status of the food is not impaired by Bens being open on Shabbat and in fact Jewish law permits food made on Shabbat to be eaten by all after a sufficient amount of time has elapsed after Shabbat for it to have been made. In addition Ben’s stores are leased to a non-Jew for the Sabbath and the holidays that Ben’s is open

The people I know who will eat at Mill Basin Deli in Brooklyn as well as the Lido Deli in Long Island will never eat at any Ben’s Deli .

21 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

sounds like some people like Ben's and some don't.  Thats ok.  I am sure NYC has plenty of deli's for everyones tastes.  Have a great day

The meat at Bens is extra lean which is good if you don’t want to eat extra fat, but not so good if you want an “old school” tasting sandwich.  Also Bens is a chain, at least two or three on Long Island. 

3 hours ago, AF-1 said:

sounds like some people like Ben's and some don't.  Thats ok.  I am sure NYC has plenty of deli's for everyones tastes.  Have a great day

NYC had hundeds of Kosher delis in the 50’s.Now there are only a handful,three in Brooklyn and a few in Manhattan.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

NYC had hundeds of Kosher delis in the 50’s.Now there are only a handful,three in Brooklyn and a few in Manhattan.

Also two in the Bronx, Liebman's and Loesser's , and at least two in Queens, Buddy's and a branch of Ben's.

5 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Also two in the Bronx, Liebman's and Loesser's , and at least two in Queens, Buddy's and a branch of Ben's.

I have not been in the Bronx in about 50 years and therefore am not familiar with restaurants there .I have no idea if there are any in Staten Island .Queens only the Bens in Bayside although I have never been there.

I lived most of my life in Brooklyn and probably went to every deli there.I was recently at a funeral and met a woman who was an owner of Hy Tulip,a deli in Bensonhurst.

I didn't realise when asking the question about "Kosher" Deli's how

I would open up a whole host of conversation.

Thank you so much for all your feedback we will be spoilt for choice on the day.

Belated Happy Rosh Hashana to you all

Regards

David