Dolphin Swim: Cozumel or Grand Cayman?

Amberkin

Please help!  My daughter wants to swim with dolphins, but my head is dizzy from reading reviews on Trip advisor and watching videos on U-tube.  She has no interest in posing for photos, but would like the most natural experience possible.  I think the smallest group experience I read about was 10 or 12 people.  Anything more intimate?  I'd love to hear your opinions/experiences.  Thanks for your help.

Edited by Amberkin

I am going to leave this here so you can hopefully get some comparisons between this excursion at the 2 ports..

I would ask you to also post on the Cozumel and the Cayman Island ports of call boards to get further input? We don't have a Caribbean General board so it's sometimes helpful to also leave an inquiry like this on the cruise line board since do many folks cruise to the western Caribbean on Carnival. Folks here are very helpful

It's been a few years since we did a Dolphin, it was Cozumel, and I'd say overall there were some highs and lows.   

We've always had mixed feelings having visited the edge of the pens at places like Sea World, Hawaii hotel resorts, Cancun, Cozumel over many years, but decided in the end to treat all the kids.  Funny my oldest who just loved animals refused to do it.  Four of us did it, and we did have to pose with the animals and do activities that were photo ops, sadly we did promote the photo business and bought them too, LOL

In the end all tours are about making money and will do the photo op thing, just roll with and and decide if you want those memories.    If the port has several options you do need to read the reviews, understand the location, most are there for the money, only those run at some of the larger places like wildlife or such will actually be focused on the ecology and learning, its business for better or worse

Edited by chipmaster

In all honesty, at least in Cozumel, the experience was all about posing for the pictures. Someone had done one of the activities and they didn't get the pic and got to do it again for the picture. At the time, I went with my waterproof camera (only type allowed at the time) and they didn't seem too thrilled. Now, I understand they don't allow any cameras.

I've done the one in Cozumel, so I can't speak to Grand Cayman, but I think the experience is similar.

We did the one Cozumel at Dolphin Discovery.  I wish we had saved the money and not bothered.  It was as fun or exciting as we had thought it would be because like others have said, it's all about the pics.  They have you standing around in water for long stretches to make sure that everyone poses with the dolphin in all different poses and very little time is actually interacting with the dolphin.  I almost felt like we were held hostage and it took much longer than they state on their website, I was almost afraid we would miss the ship because it was like 5 hours.  We barely had time to scarf down lunch and look at the pics.  They REALLY push the sale of the pics too.  I would not recommend this excursion and wish we had gone to Paradise Beach like we debated between.  In Grand Cayman definitely go see the sting rays, sooooo much fun!  They are in their natural habitat so it so much better than the dolphin swim.

I really like Chankanaab in Cozumel. The entrance fee includes lots of available activities. I loved the interaction with the dolphins, also got to feed and pet a manatee, did not purchase photos, did not feel pressured. The park has a sea lion show, beach with snorkeling, in--ground pool, eating places, shops, good bath house facilities, etc etc. I did this excursion thru Royal C,  but would have been easy just to take a short taxi ride there.

Edited by Etta1213

Thanks for the opinions so far.  But I think I've found a third possibility that sounds better than the dolphin experiences on Grand Cayman or Cozumel.  On Bailey's Key,  just off Anthony's Key Resort, on Roatan, they offer a Dolphin Swim and Snorkel experience that sounds really good.   First, you're introduced to the dolphins, and given time to use your own camera for photos!  Then you're given snorkeling equipment and allowed to swim and interact with a small pod of dolphins!   I'd love to hear from anyone who's done this trip.  Thanks!

On 9/30/2019 at 10:09 AM, Amberkin said:

Thanks for the opinions so far.  But I think I've found a third possibility that sounds better than the dolphin experiences on Grand Cayman or Cozumel.  On Bailey's Key,  just off Anthony's Key Resort, on Roatan, they offer a Dolphin Swim and Snorkel experience that sounds really good.   First, you're introduced to the dolphins, and given time to use your own camera for photos!  Then you're given snorkeling equipment and allowed to swim and interact with a small pod of dolphins!   I'd love to hear from anyone who's done this trip.  Thanks!

I would highly recommend this one.  The free snorkel with the dolphins is awesome.  You are let loose on your own and the dolphins swim freely all around you.  You can't stand up, so make sure she is comfortable in the deep water.  There was a lot of sea grass floating on the surface and if you grabbed a piece, the dolphin might swim by and take it like a dog.  :) 

First pic I took while I was just standing in the water at the beginning with the trainer and the dolphin - just stuck my camera underwater and hoped for the best. And a few others so you can see - you are standing in this huge open area and the dolphins are free to come and go, but stay for the goodies.  You're not allowed to take your camera in the free swim tho.

There is also a professional photographer in with you at the beginning, you get the usual kiss the dolphin etc. which you can view and purchase later.

P5062557.JPG

AKR_5065.JPG

P5062565.JPG

P5062572.JPG

P5062584.JPG

Edited by cruisin*tigger

No input on one over the other, but if there is something you HAVE to do and there are multiple choices for ports, don’t book it in Grand Cayman. We booked the Stingray City tour and unfortunately we were unable to tender. Not a big loss, but since I’m sure dolphin swims are popular, you can’t guarantee that the next port will have it available. 

I think we snorkeled in the same preserve in Roatan. Lots of great fish and coral. 

crusin*tigger:   I really appreciate you taking time to share your experience with me.  It was exactly the type of true-life experience I was hoping to get.  Enjoyed your photos, also.   No problem with my daughter being comfortable in deep water.  She's a strong swimmer and has encountered dolphins while surfing off the California coast.

Since I felt your response was so helpful, would you happen to have any other Western Caribbean suggestions?  We're on the Legend in February.  I have some mobility and health issues so I'll probably just stay on the ship.  But my daughter is athletic and loves the water.  Despite being certified in New Zealand years ago, she no longer has an interest in diving.  Any other suggestions?   Thanks.

On 10/1/2019 at 5:37 PM, coevan said:

really, like back to the ocean, it looked caged in to me

We did a similar excursion about 20 years ago in Nassau and while the experience took place in an area that was enclosed with a buoyed net-fence, the trainers told us that they actually let the dolphins out every afternoon after all the experiences were through.
They would come back in the morning, because being dolphins they're smart and know where a free meal is and actually seemed to enjoy the experience as well.

I was skeptical, but later that afternoon I did see a boat from the excursion place leaving the area and there were a group of dolphins swimming around it out to the open ocean.

That was nearly 20 years ago and I don't remember the name of the place or if it is even still in business.
Take it for what it's worth.
Of course, things may have changed significantly since then as well.

Amberkin,

Not sure what you are looking for, but I usually shop in Cozumel.  Not sure how mobile you are, but you could take a cab from the ship to a restaurant right downtown, Palmeros.  Great open air people-watching restaurant, so you could sit and have that as a base if others wanted to walk or shop.  Highly recommend their sangria.  👍🏻  You can also ask for their WiFi password, as long as you buy something.  

https://www.restaurantepalmeras.com/

You could also get get off the ship and just stay in port.  The restaurant there , Panchos Backyard has good drinks and a nice view of the ships.  It’s a fairly long pier, but they have the free bike cart transport, for a tip. 🙂

there is also a Margaritaville downtown.  It’s right on the ocean and your daughter can swim there.  

In Cayman, I would recommend taking a cab (or bus which is cheaper, depends on what you can handle) down to the turtle farm area.  There is a great restaurant right next door, The Cracked Conch, which is directly on the water.  There is a dive shop there and great snorkeling right from the shore - easy access with a dive ladder (see pic on website).  So again, you can enjoy drinks and folks could snorkel or visit the turtle farm or the dolphin place, all three places literally within a five minute walk.

https://www.crackedconch.com.ky/

In Grand Cayman, do the Stingray City trip.  We prefer Capt. Marvin's trips to the ships excursions, but do any of them.  If you are not comfortable in the water, you can stay on the boat.  In my opinion, one of the best excursions we have ever taken (done it 3 times, 1 with Carnival, 2 with Marvin).

We have done the dolphin swim in Cozumel, through Carnival, in the port area (not the park with the long name).  I would not call it natural in any sense of the word.  Concrete swimming pools, captive dolphins, lots of pics, etc.  All of that said, we did enjoy it.  Bought one pic (DW being kissed by a dolphin), it is in a frame on our living room wall.

Any of the live animal experiences (monkees, dolphins, stingrays, fish while snorkeling) all may have opportunities for abuse.  A snuba (helmet dive) trip in Montigo Bay was wonderful, until I realized a swimmer was above us spreading food to attract the fish.  Captive dolphins is probably the worst.  Please watch the animals closely, and let their appearance be your guide to buying photos and rating your reviews.

Dave

15 hours ago, Chervil said:

We did a similar excursion about 20 years ago in Nassau and while the experience took place in an area that was enclosed with a buoyed net-fence, the trainers told us that they actually let the dolphins out every afternoon after all the experiences were through.
They would come back in the morning, because being dolphins they're smart and know where a free meal is and actually seemed to enjoy the experience as well.

I was skeptical, but later that afternoon I did see a boat from the excursion place leaving the area and there were a group of dolphins swimming around it out to the open ocean.

That was nearly 20 years ago and I don't remember the name of the place or if it is even still in business.
Take it for what it's worth.
Of course, things may have changed significantly since then as well.

This is very good to hear and I've heard a few places that have trained the Dolphins to get out and return. Some of the Dolphin experiences, like Tortola are really sad, like a Dolphin prison.

skiorcruise and CRocks;

Thanks to both of you for your advice.  I've booked a trip to Stingray City on Grand Cayman directly with Captain Marvin for my daughter.  I'd read good things about the experience.  I have also read that recently the area can become over crowded with boats, which takes away from the experience.  But I think my daughter will enjoy it, as long as she's standing in warm ocean water with sand between her toes!

crusin*tigger,

Cozumel is the only one of the four stops on our itinerary that my daughter and I are familiar with.  We went there for a week every Christmas during her four years in college.  No cruise ships back then.  You wouldn't believe how excited I was when I went to the site for the Palmeras restaurant you reccomended!!  I'd been trying to research our favorite restaurant where we ate all the time, Pepe's.   And it's the same restaurant!!!  Definitely going there for huge grilled shrimp for lunch!   Name change maybe?

My initial plan was to get one of those pedicab things for on the pier.  And have my daughter rent a jeep to go to the eastern coast and around the island.  Then stop at Playa Palancar for lunch.  Some tequila for me and snorkeling for her.  

Once again, thanks so much for taking your time to help others make decisions.  That's very kind of you.  Wow!  I can't believe how many cruises you've been on!  This is my 4th and my daughter's 1st.

38 minutes ago, Amberkin said:

crusin*tigger,

My initial plan was to get one of those pedicab things for on the pier.  And have my daughter rent a jeep to go to the eastern coast and around the island.  Then stop at Playa Palancar for lunch.  Some tequila for me and snorkeling for her.  

Once again, thanks so much for taking your time to help others make decisions.  That's very kind of you.  Wow!  I can't believe how many cruises you've been on!  This is my 4th and my daughter's 1st.

Heads up, I saw a post on FB saying parts of the reef are closed to boats/divers until further notice. Might want to have a backup plan just in case. 

wardamnweagle,

Thanks for the heads up about the reef.  I hadn't heard anything about that.  But I'll be aware of it while I do more research.  Yes, it's always good to have a plan B.  Fortunately, I'm always content to just stay on my balcony.  And my daughter is happy to be outside...especially if it's warm and she can just swim or ride a bike!

Now I think Belize is the one place that she doesn't have definite plans for.  Any suggestions?