Oasis show - "Cats"

5 minutes ago, karena1 said:

another example - everyone LOVES Lion King, my husband and I thought it was the worst musical we had ever seen.

I can see where people do not like Cats... truly I do... but THIS!? Lion King is a SAINT!

I have seen Lion King 9 times and each time I am FLOORED with the productions. The costumers, the songs, the sets, the innovation used. This show was ground breaking!

Then again we all have our opinions... it just happens to be your opinions about Cats and Lion King are wrong 😉

Or maybe you just don't like felines?

2 minutes ago, Drock20J said:

I can see where people do not like Cats... truly I do... but THIS!? Lion King is a SAINT!

I have seen Lion King 9 times and each time I am FLOORED with the productions. The costumers, the songs, the sets, the innovation used. This show was ground breaking!

Then again we all have our opinions... it just happens to be your opinions about Cats and Lion King are wrong 😉

Or maybe you just don't like felines?

Lion King disappointed us because all the actors did was hold up masks.  Not my idea of a character.  Again, we all have our opinion.  Love hairspray, Mama Mia, Saturday Night Fever, Grease, Chicago, Les Mis, Phantom of the Opera, Fame, Evita, South Pacific, Sound of Music, Oklahoma, Jesus Christ Superstar, Jersey Boys, Bohemian Rhapsody,  Star is Born, and so many more!  We love going to musicals. Just not those 2.  Doesn't make me wrong or right, just an opinion.

On 10/7/2019 at 12:18 PM, Drock20J said:

I think @John&LaLa and I are the biggest proponents of Cats on this board.

The show and musical are AMAZING! The costuming is beautiful and the choreography is maybe some of the best you will ever see. Even if the plot is muddled, or you can't get past the whole... cat thing. Go and appreciate the art and the talent of the show.

As for those who state that the show cannot be shortened... Sure it can! It has in the past! It is quite simple to do. I have stated this in other topics but will do so again here:

The biggest time-suck in act 2 would be "The Ballad of Billy McCaw/ Growltiger's Last Stand." This portion is about 15 minutes or so and does nothing for the show (the costuming in it is pretty epic!) You then shorten and move "The Peaks and the Pollicles" to be an addition of "Gus the Theater Cat."  Or, you could cut Peaks all together and just have Gus sing his song like he does in the 1998 Taped version.

Me personally, I would be okay with taking Bustopher Jones out of the show all together. I could also see them truncating the "Jellicle Ball"

But isnt Growltiger important to Gus story.

Get rid of Bustopher and Jellicle Ball is to long

Pokes and Pollicles is a drag, as is dancing roaches in Gumby Cat

10 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Not really. They pulled it off beautifully in the 1998 Taped version.

If you go see this show anywhere else, they remove this song. It was nice to see again (The last time I saw it was in 1998,) but I would not miss it if it were gone.

IF you cut Bustopher and Growltiger though, you basically need to cut that actor all together, since he plays both parts.

23 hours ago, renza said:

I dont get it and never will. People saying the costumes are amazing, WTH. Cat outfits are amazing. Lol. I stayed for the entire broadway and found nothing great about the set or a bunch of people in cat costumes. Again, never ever again would I sit through that. I couldn’t even imagine if I had to pay to watch it. 

I will taking my 11 year old grandaughter  on a April 12th Oasis cruise.  I am not a fan but she loves cats and live theater so I will have to stay and watch it with her.  I will let her choose if we leave at intermission.  I have a feeling she will want to stay,  then I may have to have a big glass of wine!😳

BTW, I would never make my opinion about Cats known to her.

Edited by Judyrem

13 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Get rid of Bustopher and Jellicle Ball is to long

Pokes and Pollicles is a drag, as is dancing roaches in Gumby Cat

3 hours ago, Drock20J said:

If you go see this show anywhere else, they remove this song. It was nice to see again (The last time I saw it was in 1998,) but I would not miss it if it were gone.

IF you cut Bustopher and Growltiger though, you basically need to cut that actor all together, since he plays both parts.

RCI should just hire the two of you to conduct pre-show seminars.  They can list it in the cruise planner. That should solve the problem.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Drock20J said:

Cost savings, great

On 10/4/2019 at 10:03 PM, John&LaLa said:

I kind of figured it out on my own. It wasn't really that hard. 

So, when you go to a show on land, you never look at the Playbill thingy.

I wish Royal would hand those out

We actually have been season ticket holders for a dinner show theater which always have SAG actors and before that we did the touring broadway shows.  For both of them they hand out play bills "thingys" using your term.  For the former, I would look through the playbill to see which actors we may have seen previously.  For the latter, I would barely look through it.

Obviously some plays, I am already familiar with, but for many, I am not familiar with and enjoy the discovery.  I do the same with films.  Do not want  to ruin the "discovery" with pre-conceived notions.

As stated I did the same with my first viewing of Cats, just didn't "get it" during the initial viewing.  Goes to my initial comment about not wanting to do research prior to seeing a play to understand the plot line.

Not the best of slides, I had a bad angle. 

506252144_3Jellicles.jpg.42a17a478229592b3b8a22403bdd1f36.jpg

These are displayed on the two monitors to the left and right of the stage

993399960_4Act1.jpg.6ced025937360b5ce6a8adbfd1d0632e.jpg

542940615_5Act2.jpg.0a36a13cd0af64bb2bd6319432125696.jpg

It's nice to put a face to the actual actor, but a photo in costume would have been a good choice as well

Bombalurina.jpg.f7a499cf54f424ab579921cf31465daa.jpg

Queen Bomba, meow.

40743808_20190221_235346crop.thumb.jpg.528dacca0e869ceea4f6583187725fad.jpg

Edited by John&LaLa

I sailed on Oasis in 2014 and out of respect to the performers, I did wait until the intermission to leave. 🙂

DW stayed. She loved it and knew she would going in. We're sailing on Oasis twice next year. So I guess that means each time, I'll have a few hours to myself to look forward to. 🤣 

10 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Queen Bomba, meow.

Meow indeed! Charlotte is such a sweet woman, and SO TALENTED! She alone is worth watching the show for!

10 hours ago, moopetguy said:

I sailed on Oasis in 2014 and out of respect to the performers, I did wait until the intermission to leave. 🙂

As  a person who has acted in the past, thank you! This is how you handle this situation. Walking out during the show is horrible! The actors CAN see those kind of things.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Drock20J said:

Walking out during the show is horrible! The actors CAN see those kind of things.

I've never understood those who say the walk out in the first 10 minutes. That seems dangerous with the cast in the audience during the Naming of cats number. 

23 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I've never understood those who say the walk out in the first 10 minutes. That seems dangerous with the cast in the audience during the Naming of cats number. 

Especially when there is a convenient time to escape...uh...leave at intermission...