Oasis show - "Cats"

26 minutes ago, gatour said:

This describes my issue with Cat's

Having to go on the Internet to get an explanation on what is going on defeats the discovery process.

I have seen many, many, plays both on and off-broadway, and touring broadway shows.  I also like to see many different kinds of movies.  For movies or plays I don't like to read reviews.  I like to "discover" things on my own while viewing any kind of production without any preconceived notions.

I saw Cat's in a touring Broadway show and sat through it.  Didn't like it.  Gave Cat's on RCCL a shot until the intermission, and left.  It was well done on RCCL, comparable to the touring show, but I have no interest to ever seeing it again.

I kind of figured it out on my own. It wasn't really that hard. 

So, when you go to a show on land, you never look at the Playbill thingy.

I wish Royal would hand those out

2 hours ago, gatour said:

This describes my issue with Cat's

Having to go on the Internet to get an explanation on what is going on defeats the discovery process.

This is kinda my issue as well (full disclosure: I've been on Oasis twice and have never seen CATS, going again next year and still no intention of going).  

If I have to read about something before I see it in order to understand what I'm seeing, to me that means that the show doesn't adequately portray whatever it's supposed to be portraying.  

If you want to show off a bunch of great stage sets and costumes and songs and dancing, then just call it "a variety show of people dressed as cats who sing and dance". But if you want to call it a play or a story or whatever, it has to actually have a discernible plot of some kind.  

I don't go to production shows because I don't have any interest in watching people sing and dance.  I will go see a comic / juggler / magician, or the ice skating show, or the aqua theater show, because I have an interest in or appreciation of those particular skills.  (Lots of people can sing and dance, but not a lot of people can do a triple axel or high dive, particularly on a moving ship with a teeny tiny sheet of ice / pool of water.)

I understand that the sets and costumes cost Royal a pretty penny to produce, but given how many people walk out of the show or simply never attend in the first place, I am very surprised that they'd renew it instead of going with something that's going to be more popular.

(Sorry, @John&LaLa, it's just not my thing!)

6 hours ago, blueridgemama said:

I'm sure I spent hundreds of dollars when I saw it on Broadway. Spectacular costumes and songs. I just can't believe people walk out after only one or two songs.  If you want to leave have the courtesy to wait until intermission.

I waited til intermission but I had fallen asleep. We saw it on the first night of the cruise which was a mistake as we were up early getting to the ship and were too tired.

4 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I waited til intermission but I had fallen asleep. We saw it on the first night of the cruise which was a mistake as we were up early getting to the ship and were too tired.

That is the best night to see it. All the other shows are worth staying awake for.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, renza said:

Why wait? Omg I watched all of it. Even stayed after intermission waiting for it to get better. I would say about 75% left during intermission. I should have left after 10 minutes. What courtesy? The people in the play know we all fall asleep and dislike it. They just have to do it. Don’t  waste your time on this show. 

Courtesy to the performers.

8 hours ago, brillohead said:

This is kinda my issue as well (full disclosure: I've been on Oasis twice and have never seen CATS, going again next year and still no intention of going).  

If I have to read about something before I see it in order to understand what I'm seeing, to me that means that the show doesn't adequately portray whatever it's supposed to be portraying.  

If you want to show off a bunch of great stage sets and costumes and songs and dancing, then just call it "a variety show of people dressed as cats who sing and dance". But if you want to call it a play or a story or whatever, it has to actually have a discernible plot of some kind.  

I don't go to production shows because I don't have any interest in watching people sing and dance.  I will go see a comic / juggler / magician, or the ice skating show, or the aqua theater show, because I have an interest in or appreciation of those particular skills.  (Lots of people can sing and dance, but not a lot of people can do a triple axel or high dive, particularly on a moving ship with a teeny tiny sheet of ice / pool of water.)

I understand that the sets and costumes cost Royal a pretty penny to produce, but given how many people walk out of the show or simply never attend in the first place, I am very surprised that they'd renew it instead of going with something that's going to be more popular.

(Sorry, @John&LaLa, it's just not my thing!)

A trip!e axel on a cruise ship? I don't think so. A lot of Olympic skaters can't do a triple axel.

It seems folks either love or hate Cats. I for one and very happy it will be staying on Oasis. I'm a fan of the production and I haven't yet seen a bad show on Oasis. We will see it at least once during our March 2020 cruise.

• Like 1

I have loved every single broadway show on the ships with the exception of wanting to see CATS.  No desire to see that one.  But loved Chicago, love Saturday Night Fever, Grease, Mama Mia, Hairspray.  I love musicals and never get tired of seeing them multiple times, but CATS we passed up and were glad we did.  Probably 90% of the people we asked about it said they walked out.

On 10/5/2019 at 5:51 PM, karena1 said:

I have loved every single broadway show on the ships with the exception of wanting to see CATS.  No desire to see that one.  But loved Chicago, love Saturday Night Fever, Grease, Mama Mia, Hairspray.  I love musicals and never get tired of seeing them multiple times, but CATS we passed up and were glad we did.  Probably 90% of the people we asked about it said they walked out.

I prefer to make up my own mind. And I definitely don't berate something I've never seen. 😉

But that's just me. I'm odd like that.😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I prefer to make up my own mind. And I definitely don't berate something I've never seen. 😉

I don't know, I don't have to give birth to a baby to know it hurts.😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/29/2019 at 11:05 PM, John&LaLa said:

I prefer CATS, the production value on Allure is weak. But I enjoyed the first movie. 

I'll give Hairspray a go in October

On Symphony I assume?  I had never seen HS when it was on Oasis (from memory) but I thought the production on Symphony showed off their high tech stage.  Glad I saw it. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I am not berating it.  I know enough about CATS to know it was something I had no interest in seeing.  And I am truthful in that we did not talk to one person that saw it that liked it.   I am sure some people loved it, we just did not meet anyone that did.  I have seen tons of musicals over the years and that is just one I know I would not like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Nice, but hardly the same

True, back in residency days I always stayed awake during those births. They also seemed less painful than CATS.

I know CATS is dear to you but don't lose your sense of humor....🤗

• Haha 1

I think @John&LaLa and I are the biggest proponents of Cats on this board.

The show and musical are AMAZING! The costuming is beautiful and the choreography is maybe some of the best you will ever see. Even if the plot is muddled, or you can't get past the whole... cat thing. Go and appreciate the art and the talent of the show.

As for those who state that the show cannot be shortened... Sure it can! It has in the past! It is quite simple to do. I have stated this in other topics but will do so again here:

The biggest time-suck in act 2 would be "The Ballad of Billy McCaw/ Growltiger's Last Stand." This portion is about 15 minutes or so and does nothing for the show (the costuming in it is pretty epic!) You then shorten and move "The Peaks and the Pollicles" to be an addition of "Gus the Theater Cat."  Or, you could cut Peaks all together and just have Gus sing his song like he does in the 1998 Taped version.

Me personally, I would be okay with taking Bustopher Jones out of the show all together. I could also see them truncating the "Jellicle Ball"

My wife loves the show, it was her 3rd time, I was well prepared and got what I expected, and glad I saw it once, so I can talk about it, but I would never go back again!    I wish I could search and find my "blue collar review" I did of it back in 2016. 

On 10/4/2019 at 10:03 PM, John&LaLa said:

I kind of figured it out on my own. It wasn't really that hard. 

So, when you go to a show on land, you never look at the Playbill thingy.

I wish Royal would hand those out

Fair point.  When I saw it, my wife had seen it at least twice previously and explained a lot to me, so it made it better for me.  If Royal is really discouraged by people not staying for the whole show they should allow medical marijuana on board. A good indica will keep people in their seats for the whole show. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, karena1 said:

I am not berating it.  I know enough about CATS to know it was something I had no interest in seeing.  And I am truthful in that we did not talk to one person that saw it that liked it.   I am sure some people loved it, we just did not meet anyone that did.  I have seen tons of musicals over the years and that is just one I know I would not like.

You did not meet anyone who liked it because they were still in the show. It is sad that because you "know enough about Cats," you would not give the show a chance. Those artist work their butts off to produce a show that in all honesty was BETTER than the recent Broadway run. I promise you, the talent that it takes to perform this show massively eclipses all of the other ships talent, COMBINED!

Then again, I am passionate for my love of Cats.

• Like 2

I dont get it and never will. People saying the costumes are amazing, WTH. Cat outfits are amazing. Lol. I stayed for the entire broadway and found nothing great about the set or a bunch of people in cat costumes. Again, never ever again would I sit through that. I couldn’t even imagine if I had to pay to watch it. 

3 hours ago, Drock20J said:

You did not meet anyone who liked it because they were still in the show. 

Seriously? It isn't as if after the show everyone goes home. It is a ship. There are loads of opportunities during the week to chat with others about their thoughts.

6 hours ago, Drock20J said:

You did not meet anyone who liked it because they were still in the show. It is sad that because you "know enough about Cats," you would not give the show a chance. Those artist work their butts off to produce a show that in all honesty was BETTER than the recent Broadway run. I promise you, the talent that it takes to perform this show massively eclipses all of the other ships talent, COMBINED!

Then again, I am passionate for my love of Cats.

not true, we talked to people throughout the week that had been to CATS and did not like it.  I agree, they do work their butts off, this just happens to be one show I don't want to see.  another example - everyone LOVES Lion King, my husband and I thought it was the worst musical we had ever seen.  I love musicals, been to many, many of them.  CATS is not my thing so will be glad when Oasis changes to something else.