Carnival' "Carnival Glory" or Royal Caribbeans "Freedom of the Sea"?

Taishartrueblood

I am purely interested in what ship people prefer. I asked before on a different forum and, honestly, I got a lot of negative feedback about Carnival but I have found that people tend to be super loyal to their preferred cruise lines so I am not sure how much of the negative feedback is real.

Do you find the ships/cruise lines to be comparable? Is there anything that makes Carnival "special"? I am not much on partying but I do love comedians, shows, trivia, game shows, and food :)

Thanks!

Edited by Taishartrueblood

4 minutes ago, Taishartrueblood said:

I am purely interested in what ship people prefer. I asked before on a different forum and, honestly, I got a lot of negative feedback about Carnival but I have found that people tend to be super loyal to their preferred cruise lines so I am not sure how much of the negative feedback is real.

Do you find the ships/cruise lines to be comparable? Is there anything that makes Carnival "special"? I am not much on partying but I do love comedians, shows, trivia, game shows, and food 🙂

Thanks!

You'd have a more unbiased opinion in the "Ask a Cruise Question" forum, as those are mixed with perspectives from both cruise lines, rather than one. By going into that forum, it appears that your thread originally posted on Royal's thread was relocated there. I think that the ships aren't really comparable. Trivia is better on Carnival (Ship on a Stick for a prize). Comedy, like food, is very subjective. I have been on the Glory, but not on the Freedom of the Seas. Itinerary wise, Freedom of the Seas goes to the Southern Caribbean from SJ, PR. I would chose that itinerary any day over the Glory's Western Caribbean itineraries. 

13 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

You'd have a more unbiased opinion in the "Ask a Cruise Question" forum, as those are mixed with perspectives from both cruise lines, rather than one. By going into that forum, it appears that your thread originally posted on Royal's thread was relocated there. I think that the ships aren't really comparable. Trivia is better on Carnival (Ship on a Stick for a prize). Comedy, like food, is very subjective. I have been on the Glory, but not on the Freedom of the Seas. Itinerary wise, Freedom of the Seas goes to the Southern Caribbean from SJ, PR. I would chose that itinerary any day over the Glory's Western Caribbean itineraries. 

Actually, the OP did ask this question in the "ask a cruise question" thread.  The first replies were anti Carnival from posters who heard or saw negative reviews.  I thought I presented a balanced answer by advising against considering opinions from posters who haven't even sailed the line.

I even got called a "super fan boy" of Carnival, yikes!

• Like 2

If the price is comparable I would vote for Freedom of the Seas. RCI quality (IN MY OPINION) is nicer all around. Food, crowds, décor, etc. RCI general runs 2-3 times more expensive than a comparable Carnival size ship and ports. I love Carnival for the value and that is why I cruise mostly with them. If I made more money I would stick to RCI.

I have been on both ships.  I prefer Carnival generally (the food in dining room seems better, etc).  I cruise based on ports and price, so I go back and forth between Carnival and RCL.

All that being said --  Freedom of the Seas is awesome.  It is bigger (we stayed in an interior promenade room which we loved).  I also like the ice skating show, and other bells and whistles on the Freedom.  We did the cupcake class (excellent fun), guacamole/margarita making at Sabor (FANTASTIC!)

Overall I was a fan of Freedom of the Seas.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Taishartrueblood said:

Do you find the ships/cruise lines to be comparable? Is there anything that makes Carnival "special"? I am not much on partying but I do love comedians, shows, trivia, game shows, and food :)

Thanks!

I'm going to run at your post and its questions from a couple of different directions.

First I will note that I am a veteran of 14 cruises - 12 on Carnival, 1 on Celebrity, 1 on Holland America, and zero on Royal.  So I won't say much about Royal, except to note my impressions of what others have said about them on Cruise Critic and elsewhere.

Anyway, I can't give a good answer to your first question (are they comparable?), so I won't try.  

I'll loop back to your other question (what makes Carnival special) later.  But I'd like to speak on your bullet points:

• Partying - Carnival is notorious for this, but I haven't seen too much of it on my cruises.  That's probably because I tend to choose longer cruises and stay in the cabin most nights.
  • Comedians - One of Carnival's strengths, IMHO.  Most nights on most cruises they'll have at least one, and often they'll have two on the same night; and often the comedians will each perform multiple shows on the same night (often one early, PG-rated show; and one or more R-rated shows).  What I've heard from Royal cruisers say they don't have as many comedians or shows and prefer to concentrate on other forms of entertainment.  Feel free to set me straight on this.
  • Shows - Carnival has shows of a particular kind.  They don't have ice skating rinks or anything that would even come close to Broadway.  But their Playlist shows can be entertaining - basically they're a group of singers and dancers performing to music with a certain theme (classic rock, British invasion, etc.).  If you like the theme, the performers are good enough to make you like the show, IMHO.  They also have the odd magician/hypnotist or two, but those aren't really my thing.
  • Trivia - My experience is Carnival has a good mix of trivia sessions and types.  I've actually won a few Ships on a Stick and a Boat on a Rope at trivia without cheating (e.g., searching on Google) and without joining a team (though I actually did some trivia with a team once; we didn't quite win anything though).  I have no idea how it compares to what Royal has to offer.
  • Game Shows - Hasbro is the closest thing I've seen to the classic game shows of the 60s through 80s and today's TPIR.  I actually liked it the two times I attended, and probably should go watch some more.  It's not for everyone, but you might like it.  If you're talking about things like Quest and Love & Marriage, I haven't seen those and have no opinion on them.
  • Food - I think Carnival does a very good job with their food in most areas I've tried.  Their buffet is good (for a buffet).  The MDR food is very good.  The steakhouse food is great (but that's to be expected for the price).  Guy's is good (for burgers & fries).  BlueIguana is good (for Mexican food).  On the room service menu... um... their philly cheesesteak is good (for an extra cost).  I've found Carnival's desserts to be disappointing, except for the fruits.  I can't give you an opinion on other popular spots like the deli, ice cream, or their pizza.  My impression of the online chatter is that Royal loyalists like their food better than Carnival, and Carnival fans think their food is better.  

So, what do I think makes Carnival special?  FUN!  The workers generally look like they're having fun, they do some fun things, there are lots of fun things to do at all times of the day, and they don't care too much what you do and when.  Sometimes they try a little too hard to get everyone to have fun, but I think that's better than the alternative.

That's my Carnival argument and I'm sticking to it.  They do a lot of things well and are generally a good value.  

All that said, I always prefer the Eastern Caribbean cruises over those going west.  So at the same price Freedom OTS would be my choice.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Taishartrueblood said:

Do you find the ships/cruise lines to be comparable? Is there anything that makes Carnival "special"? I am not much on partying but I do love comedians, shows, trivia, game shows, and food 🙂

Thanks!

I went on Norwegian and had an absolutely horrific experience.  Food was inedible, staff was rude, drinks were watered down, and my husband got norovirus so we got off the ship in Mexico and flew home. (Ship Dr said we could.) But some people like it and what we experienced may have just been bad luck.

I went on RC a long time ago and it was incredible, but I have seen multiple reviews saying their kids club isn't as good.

I have been sticking with Carnival as of late because I feel like I know what I am getting and after the NCL experience I am terrified of that situation repeating. If that happens again, I will never get my husband on another cruise. With Carnival, the food is decent.  The price is reasonable. The staff is friendly.  The drinks aren't watered down.  I like the set dinning time. And they have several ships out of Galveston.

I would like to cruise Disney, but when we can go with the kids always ends up being absurdly priced because that is when other people are trying to Vaca with their kids.

I am considering a Celebrity cruise as they seem to have a good kid's program and I want to cruise the Norwegian Fjords.  Debating whether to try to catch Carnival's one cruise there (when flights are super high) or go with Celebrity. The price ends up being about the same because flights are cheaper for the Celebrity cruise dates.  (I'm trying to sail out of London because there is a direct London/Houston flight that is 9-10 hours. That's bad enough with a 5 and 7 year old. I'm definitely not doing plane hoping and an additional 5 hours to make it to a cruise sailing out of Denmark or another Scandinavian country for MSC or RCCL or another line.)

I've been on both too.  Let's see..

• Ship - I preferred the Freedom to the Glory.  Ice Rink was fun, decor was nicer, interior promenade rooms were fun.
  • Shows - I again give the nod to the Freedom for their shows.  With the exception of comedy show, which Carnival wins in my book.
  • Food - I actually prefer the Glory.  Blue Iguana, Guys burgers, pizza.  All better IMO.  Main dining was about equal I thought.

Otherwise, I'd pick by itinerary and price.  I wouldn't hesitate to sail either again.

9 hours ago, Taishartrueblood said:

Thank you all with special thanks to scrotser  and Honolulu Blue for their extremely helpful posts. With everyone's input, I decided on Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas 🙂

A fine choice.  I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.  And I am glad that I was able to help you in your decision making.

I have been on both ships and have no cruise line loyalty with an almost equal number of cruises between Royal and Carnival plus several on Celebrity, NCL and one MSC.

Freedom is still one of our favorites and would choose it over Glory any day. While there was nothing horrible about Glory, we were just a bit underwhelmed and count us among those who really do not care for the Farcus ship decor. Just very cheap looking. Freedom is brighter, entertainment will be miles ahead as will be specialty dining. A lot more on board amenities as well. The one area we find Carnival consistently bests Royal is in main dining room food in terms of taste and consistency.

10 hours ago, Taishartrueblood said:

I decided on Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas 🙂

Great choice. Ship and cruise line aside, the southern Caribbean itinerary out of San Juan is much more desirable than a western or eastern Caribbean itinerary from the mainland. Have a great cruise! 

This thread was just what I was looking for. About 7 friends of mine want to give the Freedom of the Seas a try for next year. They all want to go out of San Juan and do a cruise. I have 16 cruises on Carnival, 1 on Celebrity and 1 on Princess. So this is what I was looking for to see what people thought of on the Freedom of the Seas. I know that Freedom is going into a major renovation next year so I'd love to be able to say "I was on that Ship"!

Thanks for all your input.

2 hours ago, MzOhioLady said:

This thread was just what I was looking for. About 7 friends of mine want to give the Freedom of the Seas a try for next year. They all want to go out of San Juan and do a cruise. I have 16 cruises on Carnival, 1 on Celebrity and 1 on Princess. So this is what I was looking for to see what people thought of on the Freedom of the Seas. I know that Freedom is going into a major renovation next year so I'd love to be able to say "I was on that Ship"!

Thanks for all your input.

Slightly off topic, but have you all considered the Celebrity Summit?  Its home port is San Juan from October-April/May and it had a substantial renovation this year.  That's the one Celebrity ship I sailed on (before its refurb).  I have to say I was impressed by it.

5 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Slightly off topic, but have you all considered the Celebrity Summit?  Its home port is San Juan from October-April/May and it had a substantial renovation this year.  That's the one Celebrity ship I sailed on (before its refurb).  I have to say I was impressed by it.

To be honest, no I hadn't thought of the Celebrity Summit. So that's another Ship to Consider. 

I've done both. Freedom was my first RC ship after reaching platinum with Carnival on quite a few of her ships, including Glory. Freedom opened my eyes to the huge difference between the two brands. It is so different, in a good way, that we regretted not trying RC long ago. I would ALWAYS advise to go with RC over Carnival.

We are booked for Celebrity Summit in February. We are beside ourselves with anticipation of what that brand is going to be like.

On 9/29/2019 at 11:31 PM, Taishartrueblood said:

Thanks!

As someone who has sailed both RCCL and Carnival, along with NCL, also, I can give you a comparison. RCCL ships tend to really go for the WOW factor. Their ships are beautiful. But their food was lacking to me. Carnival’s ships are very nice, not the “junkers” that RCCL loyalists want to lead you to believe. We found the food on Carnival to be much better than RCCL, but food and tastes are subjective. Carnival offers far more complimentary choices, and less in Specialty restaurants. I also found that RCCL nickel and dimes you far more than Carnival. And as for fun, well, we just found far more fun on Carnival and no need to reserve for shows ahead of time. There was music, trivia, Dive In Movies, comedy shows, along with playlist shows. True, Carnival shows are not Broadway caliber, but after suffering through CATS on RCCL Oasis of the Seas, I have no complaint with Carnival’s shows. Oh, and Carnival cabins are roomier. We only book inside cabins, and I rate Carnival inside cabins the largest, then RCCL, then the smallest goes to NCL. Let me add that you can’t top the absolute friendliest staff on Carnival, something RCCL was lacking. I hope this helps.

Edited by grandmarnnurse

For those who mentioned the Summit as an alternative, I would definitely sail that ship a 3rd time.  My 1st two cruises on Celebrity were solo, and in December and January, and I was able to get a better cruise fare than I could with Carnival, go figure.

The large enclosed solarium that is adult only during the day was a great place to relax after being in port.  The food (subjective, JMO) was a level above Carnival and NCL.  The downside is the dress code for the restaurants, a bit more stringent that the other 2 lines.

We're off on the Equinox 11 day southern shortly......it does pay to expand one's sailing horizons and shop around!