Sommeliers / Beverage Package / Tips

ochealaaf

Dear all,

on our last (very good) cruise on Marina I booked the Prestige BP. Every evening when being asked for the wine I asked for a recommended pairing by the glass. Everytime the nice  sommelier/euse lost his/her professional smile and seemed disappointed. "Oh you are on a beverage package…". I got my wine and service was good - but I wondered about the reaction with nearly every single wine waiter.

So I wondered if there is a difference in the tips earned. My unterstanding was until now (a nice sommelier on Sirena told me), that I pay the tips front up with my package - and the staff gets their normal 18% on every order - regardless what and how much drinks I order. So normally a glass of champagne and three glasses of wine should lead to nearly the same amount of tips than ordering a bottle of wine shared by two and kept for the next day...

Has anyone an idea if there has been a recent change in the way that there are less tips earned on wine by the beverage package in comparison to wine by the bottle?

This is - by the way - no complaint - just being interested 😉

Edited by ochealaaf

Wines available on the Prestige BP are very limited. In our experience, wines available were one or two options per each varietal offered. To make it more confusing, options available change from time-to-time. Maybe the sommelier thought you would know that. Silly, I know. How would anyone know what wines are available on the package if they just boarded the ship that day? Next time just ask what wines are available on the Prestige BP. 

Thank you - but there seems to be a misunderstanding. I am completely aware of the restrictions of the PBP and that there are "only" about 20 wines to choose from. That´s ok ;-). I was wondering about the reactions of the wine waiters who - without any exception - seemed to be not happy with the package - so I wondered if there might be a difference in the gratuities.

4 minutes ago, ochealaaf said:

Thank you - but there seems to be a misunderstanding. I am completely aware of the restrictions of the PBP and that there are "only" about 20 wines to choose from. That´s ok ;-). I was wondering about the reactions of the wine waiters who - without any exception - seemed to be not happy with the package - so I wondered if there might be a difference in the gratuities.

18% of a $15 glass of wine vs 18% of a $150 bottle s/he may only need to retrieve once? Which would you prefer to serve?

🙂 - ok - if you compare it this way 🙂  - I was comparing 18% (18+12+12+12) for me alone to 18% * 70 * 0,5 (shared by a couple and saved for the next day) on the adjoining tables which s/he had to retrieve at least two times and pour several times ;-).

Maybe he was going to try to upsell you  on a bottle of wine  if not on the package

We do not get the package  but have bought  bottles of wine  to use our OBC

They always offer more expensive wines  than what  we choose 😉

If they are disappointed  that is their problem   I do not worry about  how they are paid 

If you have a problem with the staff  then talk to the Maitre'd or the GM

JMO as always

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ochealaaf said:

🙂 - ok - if you compare it this way 🙂  - I was comparing 18% (18+12+12+12) for me alone to 18% * 70 * 0,5 (shared by a couple and saved for the next day) on the adjoining tables which s/he had to retrieve at least two times and pour several times ;-).

I think you'll find that quite a few couples (including us) finish an entire bottle at dinner. After all, that's only two 6 oz glasses per person.

As for this whole argument, the reaction of the wine stewards (please don't call them sommeliers- you'd be luck to find much more than a handful of aspirants across the ship) to differing ways of  your enjoying wine really varies.

We tend to bring our own wine onboard and those stewards who know us always enjoy being offered a taste of something with which they would normally not have interaction. (Just last week, the Asst. F&B mgr on Riviera came by when he saw an unusual Chardonnay from his home region in Sicily in the ice bucket (one of his favorite wines). We had a great conversation and the steward tasted something new to him while he learned some things from his boss' boss that were worth far more that X% of a $25 corkage fee.

Perhaps a bit off subject, but if you have the Prestige Package are there still beverages that are not included?   Are all wines by the glass included?  Are there some vodkas, whiskey, and martinis not included?

4 minutes ago, pna said:

Perhaps a bit off subject, but if you have the Prestige Package are there still beverages that are not included?   Are all wines by the glass included?  Are there some vodkas, whiskey, and martinis not included?

I might be wrong but I think most everything is included 

some of the high end Scotches & Cognac  in Polo may not ..just ask first  if it is included

Everything is included, all the wines by the glass in the MDR, the Champagne, the cremant and the prosecco. Even the XOs and single malts. In the Wine Reserve some of the high end wines by the glass are not included. And I think the Sake in Red Ginger is not included. I ask on every cruise bevor my first single malt if it´s still included - and then enjoy. Very relaxing concept, no nickeling and diming - an no bad surprises at the end of the cruise.

• Like 4

if you open a bottle of wine, the wine steward/sommelier must pour at least half the bottle to receive the tip.  if you save the wine for the next day, the steward who retrieves your bottle and then pours gets no tip.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, acritic said:

if you open a bottle of wine, the wine steward/sommelier must pour at least half the bottle to receive the tip.  if you save the wine for the next day, the steward who retrieves your bottle and then pours gets no tip.

Your source of this is what?

Oceania’s Distribution of gratuities aboard ship is a multifaceted thing and nothing similar to most dining establishments . 

@pinotlover:  my sources are conversations with at least 20 Oceania wine stewards/sommeliers on all 6 ships.  

Heres some more more info for you from the same source:

They do not participate in the gratuity pool paid at the end of the cruise.  Their tips/income come from the wine they pour/sell and  the wine tastings you sign up for ( the steward that signs you up).  If they participate in wine tastings,  and  pourings at La Reserve and Privee, they are compensated.  If you have a package that includes wine, and you drink wine and leave before your card can be swiped, they don't receive a tip.  They get all of the 18% but only part of the $25 corkage fee.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, acritic said:

They do not participate in the gratuity pool paid at the end of the cruise.  Their tips/income come from the wine they pour/sell and  the wine tastings you sign up for ( the steward that signs you up).  If they participate in wine tastings,  and  pourings at La Reserve and Privee, they are compensated.  If you have a package that includes wine, and you drink wine and leave before your card can be swiped, they don't receive a tip.  They get all of the 18% but only part of the $25 corkage fee.  

Do you work as a wine waiter for Oceania ??

Did the waitstaff just volunteer  this info to you or did you ask  how they were compensated?

• Like 2

If they were being paid part of the grats on wine poured, the Terrace wouldn’t be so dry! LOL! Nor would they be spending a lot of time out looking for a half empty bottle left from the night before! 

They are paid from a different pot when working at La Reserve. That is a JV between WS and O and accounted for separately.

I will say most all have gotten aggressive on selling the different tastings. Our Butler pigeon holed us, upon arrival, long before we ever see a wine steward, showing me all the wine and cognac tastings available trying to make the sell. Some sort of new compensation is obviously taking place. The Butler’s have a full history on all their guests. They already know what you like, what you drink, and special events like tastings or La Reserve you attend when you step aboard.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2019 at 5:21 PM, acritic said:

@pinotlover:  my sources are conversations with at least 20 Oceania wine stewards/sommeliers on all 6 ships.  

Heres some more more info for you from the same source:

That was the information I was looking for :-). According to this however, the wine stewards should love my package, as I always leave my card to be swiped - why don´t they?

3 hours ago, ochealaaf said:

That was the information I was looking for :-). According to this however, the wine stewards should love my package, as I always leave my card to be swiped - why don´t they?

Your Card is also your Room Key, so you wouldn't want to "leave it".

I believe that what people are saying here is that they resent having to wait for the card to be taken, transacted and returned to them.  

Edited by StanandJim
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's 20% in La Reserve & 15% on bottles. I tried to find it on the website but couldn't, but it's in my Blue Book for our upcoming cruise. 

To get the Oceania club discount on the Beverage Package you have purchase it pre cruise. 

48 minutes ago, ORV said:

It's 20% in La Reserve & 15% on bottles. I tried to find it on the website but couldn't, but it's in my Blue Book for our upcoming cruise. 

To get the Oceania club discount on the Beverage Package you have purchase it pre cruise. 

Many thanks.  I don't know about the Oceania club discount.  Can you explain?

5 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Have you sailed with O before ?

If so certain Loyalty Levels  get  discounts on some things

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/value/#oceania-club

Found it; 10% off, if Silver level.  Thanks.

FYI, a couple benefits of the Oceania package that I haven't seen mentioned are that they are no caps on $ value of drinks.  Some lines cover only $14  per drink and below, and so a $18 drink still costs $4.  Also, the gratuity (18%) is included in the $60, whereas other lines are $60+18%.  And if you regularly add (or want to start a new trend) a post dinner port or similar glass w dessert or cheese, which I really like to do, that makes both the experience and the value.  Also, I did the package once and didn't find any restrictions, even on the XO cognac that goes for $150 a bottle retail (I don't recall shot cost on the boat, $35?).