Empress OTS... pros/cons?

Afternoon all :classic_biggrin:

I found a delightful itinerary on Empress, but worry about the small OV cabins (we're accustomed to at least a balcony- but we are priced out of the suites on this sailing) w/ those pesky upper pullman boxes.  We prefer small ships, so we aren't worried about the ship size... but want to hear from the Empress regulars!  Any highlights or lowlights we should know about the ship?

Thanks a bunch!

2 hours ago, TheMettins said:

Afternoon all :classic_biggrin:

I found a delightful itinerary on Empress, but worry about the small OV cabins (we're accustomed to at least a balcony- but we are priced out of the suites on this sailing) w/ those pesky upper pullman boxes.  We prefer small ships, so we aren't worried about the ship size... but want to hear from the Empress regulars!  Any highlights or lowlights we should know about the ship?

Thanks a bunch!

See if you can get one of the pie shaped OV's near the aft elevators. They're awesome 

7664, 8664, 9664 are the best

7164, 8164, 9664 are almost as good

Edited by John&LaLa

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

See if you can get one of the pie shaped OV's near the aft elevators. They're awesome 

I'm looking at a January sailing, so all the good cabins are gone 😞 There are a few by the forward 'secret decks', they look like my best option.  TY for the recommendation!

• Like 1

OV are small on Empress.  Keep saying that so when you board you won't be surprised.

Looking past the small cabins, Empress is a great ship for those that don't need the latest innovations of the cruise industry such as ice skating rinks, bumper cars, indoor skydiving, zip lines and water slides.

Entertainment did get a boost when she was refurbed in 2016 so it is better than many of her bigger cousin ships in the Sovereign, Vision and Radiance class IMO.   It's Nick Weir era entertainment but not Broadway or West End level.  

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Love that Laura's photo always shows up when that thread is linked. 🤣

Has she forgiven you yet or is she blissfully unaware of her premiere photo?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, twangster said:

Has she forgiven you yet or is she blissfully unaware of her premiere photo?

You misunderstood,  that's not Laura, she's the one that took it. I just stole it from her and posted it in your thread.😉

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

What makes those rooms better? I am booked I'm 8164 but 8664 is open still for my booking and could change.

26 minutes ago, TheChefslc said:

What makes those rooms better? I am booked I'm 8164 but 8664 is open still for my booking and could change.

8664 has a forward facing window in addition to one facing starboard. It might be a little bigger

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

8664 has a forward facing window in addition to one facing starboard. It might be a little bigger

Perfect, more windows! 

Sold! I have now switched to 8664. Thanks for the response. 

I honestly am kind of shocked that these rooms are still available for my sailing, I know its about 6 months out but these rooms I would consider premium and yet they are available. 

I want to switch my father in law to the other one but I think its kind of a jerk move since this room really works well for people with more than 2 people in the room.

• Like 1

Empress is an amazing ship and I enjoyed my cruise on her very much (much more so for the price I paid, but still a great ship nonetheless 😁)

The rooms are definitely small, I have an OV cabin on Deck 3. We had only two people, so no needs for bunk beds, but I do remember the shower being small. Nevertheless, not only was it a last minute vacation, but I am a huge Olympic enthusiast and artifact collector, and Rio 2016 started while I was onboard. so I have good memories of watching the Opening Ceremony while on the ship. While small, the crew definitely works to plan many fun activities, so you may not even be in the cabin for very long. All in all, not only would I sail on Empress again, but I would like to, considering she'll be cruising from NJ (so I can drive), and to the smaller ports in Bermuda like Hamilton and St.George because she can fit!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TheChefslc said:

Perfect, more windows! 

I honestly am kind of shocked that these rooms are still available for my sailing, I know its about 6 months out but these rooms I would consider premium and yet they are available. 

I want to switch my father in law to the other one but I think its kind of a jerk move since this room really works well for people with more than 2 people in the room.

We had it with only two. Normal cabins are crazy tiny

6 hours ago, TheChefslc said:

Perfect, more windows! 

Lucky you! I called for my January cruise but they were all taken. Worth a shot though.  Sure wish I had realized about these cabins when I booked a few months ago.

Enjoy your bigger space!

4 hours ago, ace1zoe2 said:

Lucky you! I called for my January cruise but they were all taken. Worth a shot though.  Sure wish I had realized about these cabins when I booked a few months ago.

Enjoy your bigger space!

Forward facing window

20190713_133236.thumb.jpg.08d3370935910596892c3966f660cb56.jpg

Bunk room

20190713_133301.thumb.jpg.be484d0688723ba3d574a614b5299ff9.jpg

Bed view from bunk room

20190713_133313.thumb.jpg.deae71c1da84407d790caca4664c9f1e.jpg

Curtain closed separating the two spaces. This is pretty much what a std OV looks like

20190713_140116.thumb.jpg.3bccc70d3419f58de41481e2f5bf4fc6.jpg

Deck 7-9 forward windows

Deck 8 really is the best, 9 is under the ping pong table I believe

20190714_112602.thumb.jpg.41c0183744cd5ad14b06c00a4091ffd8.jpg

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Forward facing window

20190713_133236.thumb.jpg.08d3370935910596892c3966f660cb56.jpg

Bunk room

20190713_133301.thumb.jpg.be484d0688723ba3d574a614b5299ff9.jpg

Bed view from bunk room

20190713_133313.thumb.jpg.deae71c1da84407d790caca4664c9f1e.jpg

Curtain closed separating the two spaces. This is pretty much what a std OV looks like

20190713_140116.thumb.jpg.3bccc70d3419f58de41481e2f5bf4fc6.jpg

Deck 7-9 forward windows

Deck 8 really is the best, 9 is under the ping pong table I believe

20190714_112602.thumb.jpg.41c0183744cd5ad14b06c00a4091ffd8.jpg

I will definitely keep this in mind go future Empress cruises!

On 10/3/2019 at 7:21 PM, John&LaLa said:

Are those rooms available for 2 passengers or only for 3 and up?

17 hours ago, lisa6191 said:

I was just looking ant online for my booking, it looks like those room were only available for 3 or more people. I am guessing you might be able to get one booked if you called them. 

On 10/7/2019 at 6:36 PM, lisa6191 said:

We booked for two, and I know @Beachammo did as well a few weeks later

FWIW, I actually first booked the cabin solo for my wife, I was a late add

Edited by John&LaLa

I booked a cruise on the Empress OTS last week for 5/11 to Bermuda (St. Georges & Hamilton).  The ports were what attracted me plus a fantastic price (group rate).  It is for a guarantee inside cabin.  I've never booked that so am a little concerned.  It is only my friend & me & we only use the cabin for sleeping so figured it should be fine.  We've cruised several time on the Grandeur so the size of the ship doesn't concern me.

Bayonne, NJ  is only about an hour & a half from home so very convenient. 

So I just booked an 8 night cruise on the Empress for April 2021 thanks to all for the great help here on CC. I even got the preferred cabin 8664.  Special props go to @John&LaLa and @twangster for all their great info and pictures on this and previous threads. This is why live review are so great.  They are an amazing way for newer cruise enthusiasts to garner experience that they would not otherwise get.

I am quite excited about this one as it has some very interesting ports of call that are not just the usual Caribbean ports. I assume because of Empress' smaller size she can access. It has ports of call in Puerto Platta (unique), San Juan (common), Virgin Gorda (unique)  Charlotte Amalie (not as unique but definitely not common).  I know that ports can change at any time for any reason but were crossing our fingers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

We are on the Empress this May with a Guaranteed OV cabin.

I think we got one on 3rd Deck. We got a Queen bed I believe.

It shows that the cabin may have bunk beds(most likely they do?)

If there are bunk beds:

do those bunk beds stick out from the wall, making the path to your side of the bad narrower?

would it be best to have separate beds and have a wider middle path to the window and not worry about the bunks sticking out?

Can it be done? When do I request separate beds, before or after we board?

18 minutes ago, nemesees said:

We are on the Empress this May with a Guaranteed OV cabin.

I think we got one on 3rd Deck. We got a Queen bed I believe.

It shows that the cabin may have bunk beds(most likely they do?)

If there are bunk beds:

do those bunk beds stick out from the wall, making the path to your side of the bad narrower?

would it be best to have separate beds and have a wider middle path to the window and not worry about the bunks sticking out?

Can it be done? When do I request separate beds, before or after we board?

Standard OV cabin with beds together:

7hkhxyw.jpg

The pullman beds make it a PITA to walk around the bed.

Same cabin, beds separated:

Q6pVznx.jpg

I just asked my cabin attendant to separate them on day one and it was done during dinner.

The window is more accessible with the beds separated.

JIhtcPE.jpg

Deck 3 may have a porthole compared to a large window like this.

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1