Penthouse Verandah or Junior Suite?

Flashman181

As it does seem wise to book very early just wanted to ask a couple of questions in a new thread about room choice before doing so. Like the look of PV but tempted by Junior Suite although about $3000 more each (AUD) . Looks like a bigger room obviously and some earlier access to bookings and confirmed reservations. Perhaps the biggest attraction is laundry service:) As a newbie not sure how difficult access to laundries on board are or whether the extra guaranteed dinner reservations and early access justify the expense of almost $200 extra each day? I know at end of day these are personal choices but would appreciate feedback from experienced cruisers on these points. As will likely settle on the PV option I assume PV1 is the preferred choice given it is more expensive ?

56 minutes ago, Flashman181 said:

As it does seem wise to book very early just wanted to ask a couple of questions in a new thread about room choice before doing so. Like the look of PV but tempted by Junior Suite although about $3000 more each (AUD) . Looks like a bigger room obviously and some earlier access to bookings and confirmed reservations. Perhaps the biggest attraction is laundry service:) As a newbie not sure how difficult access to laundries on board are or whether the extra guaranteed dinner reservations and early access justify the expense of almost $200 extra each day? I know at end of day these are personal choices but would appreciate feedback from experienced cruisers on these points. As will likely settle on the PV option I assume PV1 is the preferred choice given it is more expensive ?

hello Flashman

We have now completed 4 Viking Ocean cruises with a 5th booked for late next year. All have been / will be in the Junior Suite category. My wife's approach to cabins is the same as her approach to hotel rooms - book the most expensive one you can afford.

More seriously .. whether you can justify the extra cost depends on perspectives. Don't fret about restaurant bookings - yes it is handy to be able to book a couple of dates prior to boarding before just about anyone else can - but you will almost always get want you want after you board if you are flexible with times etc. The laundry perk in the Junior Suite is very nice - just place your washing on the bed in the morning (inside the laundry bag provided, with paperwork completed) and it is returned the next afternoon (ie around 30 hours later) all gift wrapped in a very nice box or hanging in the wardrobe on hangers. However if you don't have included laundry the on-board self-serve laundry is easy to use and if you go early AM or late PM you are almost always able to secure a washer and / or a dryer (the day before disembarkation is often very busy so you need to be aware of these sorts of issues). You can of course take a Verandah Suite and pay for laundry - if you search this Forum you will probably find a price list or other comments on this option.

We take the Junior Suite because we love the extra space in the cabin and we love the locations (we have been in 8019 three times and 7002 once - and we have 7002 booked for next year). Deck 8 v Deck 7 is an interesting comparison. I prefer 7002 due to its location near the Explorers Lounge (access is via a door next to 7000) but my wife prefers 8019 as you can walk out the door, turn left and be out in the open air in just a few steps. How these locations compare to deck 6, 5, 4 etc I can't say. I can however highly recommend that you read as many of the topics as you can in this wonderful Forum. Obviously you have to view things through your own filter and obviously not everyone agrees with everyone else's point of view every time - but you get a good balance if you take all comments into perspective.

I'm not sure if you will book directly with Viking in Sydney or via a travel agent. There is lots of discussion re this comparison in the Forum if you do a search. We book directly.

After our first cruise I started asking the Agent for a little extra incentive from her when I rang to book another  - twice she has thrown in a complimentary Silver Spirits Package for us (she might have done that for everyone else as well - I don't know - but I do know this is a great [and valuable] perk for us). So ... don't be shy, ask if there is anything special they can offer you if you book directly.

So to answer your original question .. from a simple financial perspective it is hard to justify the extra cost, but when you take into account the space, comfort and other benefits which the Junior Suite provides we are convinced it is the best cabin for us.

I have cut back on my contributions in the Forum simply because of time constraints but if I think of anything else you might find useful I will post it.

There is an excellent overview of just about every cabin on each Viking ship somewhere in this Forum - if I can find it I will post that as well.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

Cheers from the Redcliffe Peninsula

• Like 2

We prefer the locations of the PV (1,2, or 3) staterooms to those of the PJS category, desiring a location closer to midship. We also prefer to only have staterooms surrounding our cabin to mitigate noise from public spaces. Although the additional space of a PJS is appealing, we find the PV adequate and occupy the room very little outside of the bedtime hours. With the lower fare of the PV we pay to have our laundry done. We used the self service launderette our first cruise and no longer  wish to spend our time that way while cruising. Each of the two cruises we taken and the one booked for 2020 only had/have one sea day over 10, 12, and 14 night itineraries. If we considered a cruise with more sea days, or for a longer duration, we might give a PJS greater consideration. We chose a PV2 at the front of the ship for our next cruise, in part to determine how we like the location before selecting a PJS. 

Hello Flashman 181

The first time we were on board we stayed in a Junior Suite - we really liked it - there was lots of space and we really liked being close to the Explorer lounge...

‘’However.... the last three times ( and the next 2) we have booked PV cabins. The cost differential as you point out is quite significant and we have found that we have more than enough space in our PV cabins. The sitting area is very comfortable and great for “patient waiting” in the morning for everyone to get ready and for room service breakfast!  We have always been able to book the exact excursions we have wanted every time so that is never a problem. We make our restaurant reservations and then as soon as we get on board we fire up our Explorer App and have always been able to make 2 or 3 more. We also have been able to get extra tables in the Chef’s table by being flexible On timing and just asking at the restaurant! ( Flexibility is the key point for extra speciality restaurant reservations). As for laundry we just send our stuff as we would had we been in the suite. It is very reasonably priced (IMO) and it cost us $200 US dollars or so for 4 weeks when we were in the far east last year. So....for me it is about the space and the upper decks that  makes difference in the Junior Suites. We never use the bathroom at the same time so the larger double sink bathroom was of no benefit to us! we would just get in each other’s way.  We are always happy in our PVs and like the savings to spend on excursions etc. However everyone has their own preferences and you may feel those benefits are worth the extra. ( By the way it is not an affordability issue for us ...we are fortunate in that respect) .

We also find that there is no difference in PV categories really - we have been in each and the price difference now is very narrow. We do like the ones with the large sliding door configuration rather than the opening door. It is worth asking about that when you book. The difference is to do with the structure of the ship....but there are about equal numbers of each. If you have an opening door ...it can be inconvenient to keep it open and sit out at the same time.

Edited by robinhood1
Mistake
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Flashman181 said:

Yes that is a good point Hanoj. The Viking Homelands cruise only has one full sea day as well . How much do they charge to do laundary?

Since we try to pack as lightly as possible when we travel, we make heavy use of the ship's laundry and to a somewhat lesser extent, the launderette. We think that the prices are reasonable since getting a shirt washed and pressed costs the same on the ship as it does at home; others may find the prices to be more expensive than home. As someone has suggested, there are photos of the price list posted in other threads. See the following two posts for more info: #4  (photo of price list) and #3  (links to helpful laundry threads). Remember that the on-board currency is USD.

IMHO, within each cabin category, be it V, DV or ES, there is no added value to a 1 over a less expensive cabin in the same category; there is only an artificially created perception of added-value for cabins in this part of the ship vs another, that a cabin on a higher deck is worth more than a cabin on a deck below it. Whether you are in PV1 or a PV3 you are still get the same perks, you still get the same sized cabin and you still get the same service. Therefore, unless you have specific preference for one cabin location over another, take the least expensive one in the category of your choice.

• Like 3

For us, the earlier bookings for excursions and restaurant reservations has no added value. Neither does getting into the cabin slightly earlier. We were in the PJS on our last cruise and the laundry service was fabulous----we are ruined now!

But---we would not pay $3000 more each for PJS. It was nice having extra room but not worth that kind of per day expense.

We did, however, commit to using the laundry service next time. For $20-25 US per day we could send out everything daily--including socks, undies and wearing fresh clothes every day. We have lots of dry clean only items (silk, linen, cashmere) and we launder/dry clean everything after one wearing. I will not ever again spend time in the self-service laundry when for $20/day I get my laundry and dry cleaning delivered clean and pressed. I also have a low tolerance for a bathroom strewn with drying out undies and socks so I do not hand wash.

The self-service laundry is perfectly fine. It's just that when I calculated the cost to send laundry out I decided that I was not spending my vacation time trying to time laundry and ironing in the laundry room.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

I also have a low tolerance for a bathroom strewn with drying out undies and socks so I do not hand wash.

We still do hand laundry. I use clip hangers and suction cup hooks (on the glass shower door) to tame the mess in the bathroom.  More efficient than the clothesline in the shower.

17 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

I was not spending my vacation time trying to time laundry and ironing in the laundry room.

Agreed! I don't do his shirts at home, why should I do them on vacation!

• Like 5

Agree that having laundry done is so convenient and quick- out in the morning, back in the afternoon: pressed, folded, on hangers= well worth the minimal price.

As for PV vs suite- I’ve thought of a suite, but decided we’d rather use the extra money for other options. I did find my list of cabins with a sliding door and will include in this post. 

Hmmmm, we’ve booked a few cruises while onboard a cruise and never thought to ask for the Silver spirit package as an incentive. Our travel agent gives us onboard credits, but not as much as 2 beverage packages. I’ll ask her as we are booking another cruise today. Would be nice to have on our Australia cruise coming up, but we’re fine without it- free-flowing wine and Prosecco with meals was available on our last Trade Routes Cruise. I

E2F19B17-6B11-4F5A-95DA-FEC529E5365D.jpeg

Since DW doesn't like the ship's motion, our primary consideration on selecting a cabin is location. We want midships & the lowest deck that still has cabins below. Therefore, our preference is DV 4 on Deck 4, with DV 2 on Deck 5 being 2nd choice. We consider the cabin as the bedroom and the remainder of the ship the living spaces, so no interest in additional cabin space.

Spent way too many months in cabins about 1/2 to 2/3 size of DV, so find DV's sufficiently spacious. We also don't buy into the marketing hype that higher deck cabins and extreme fwd or aft cabins are worth paying more money for less comfortable locations on the ship. Only benefit of being on a higher deck for me is the increased distance to the horizon, which is probably about an extra 3/4 miles for each higher deck

Ship's laundry - when I worked at sea, all our laundry (uniforms & personal) was done by the ship. I have experience of the extra wear & tear from the harsh cleaners/bleaches used by most cruise lines. We used the ship's laundry on our last WC, but this time we will use the included laundrette.

Excursion bookings - don't buy into this hype either. We booked all the ship tours we wanted at the times we wanted, without any problem. Most of them are still available over a month after we booked. If the cruise line wants our money they can schedule additional tours, otherwise we take our money to a private operator.

Alternative Restaurants - no idea where we will eat tomorrow, so certainly have no interest in booking 60 or 70 days before the cruise starts.

Summary - the provided perks for more expensive cabin mean nothing for us, so we will continue booking cabins based on locations most comfortable for DW.🙂

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for detailed and thoughtful replies. We will book in a few days in a PV

Krisval - does that attached table suggest not all PVs have sliding doors but only the ones listed?

Edited by Flashman181

9 hours ago, broker1217 said:

For us, the earlier bookings for excursions and restaurant reservations has no added value. Neither does getting into the cabin slightly earlier. We were in the PJS on our last cruise and the laundry service was fabulous----we are ruined now!

But---we would not pay $3000 more each for PJS. It was nice having extra room but not worth that kind of per day expense.

We did, however, commit to using the laundry service next time. For $20-25 US per day we could send out everything daily--including socks, undies and wearing fresh clothes every day. We have lots of dry clean only items (silk, linen, cashmere) and we launder/dry clean everything after one wearing. I will not ever again spend time in the self-service laundry when for $20/day I get my laundry and dry cleaning delivered clean and pressed. I also have a low tolerance for a bathroom strewn with drying out undies and socks so I do not hand wash.

The self-service laundry is perfectly fine. It's just that when I calculated the cost to send laundry out I decided that I was not spending my vacation time trying to time laundry and ironing in the laundry room.

How did they do with the dry cleaning?  I’ve used the laundry service on board for socks, underwear, pajamas, etc., but I’ve been reluctant to send anything that might be damaged with harsh treatment.  Which means I end up hand-washing too many things.  If dry cleaning is a workable option, that would be fantastic.  Were you happy with the results?

In terms of PJS vs. PV, we’ve opted for the PJS because we really like the additional space in the junior suite vs. the PV.  That said, on the itineraries we’ve sailed so far, the price differential wasn’t nearly as great as the one you’re seeing.  Our friends have stayed in a PV, so we’ve spent time in those cabins, and for the difference in cost, I’d say a PV will be totally fine.

Edited by aungrl

11 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Since we try to pack as lightly as possible when we travel, we make heavy use of the ship's laundry and to a somewhat lesser extent, the launderette. We think that the prices are reasonable since getting a shirt washed and pressed costs the same on the ship as it does at home; others may find the prices to be more expensive than home. As someone has suggested, there are photos of the price list posted in other threads. See the following two posts for more info: #4  (photo of price list) and #3  (links to helpful laundry threads). Remember that the on-board currency is USD.

IMHO, within each cabin category, be it V, DV or ES, there is no added value to a 1 over a less expensive cabin in the same category; there is only an artificially created perception of added-value for cabins in this part of the ship vs another, that a cabin on a higher deck is worth more than a cabin on a deck below it. Whether you are in PV1 or a PV3 you are still get the same perks, you still get the same sized cabin and you still get the same service. Therefore, unless you have specific preference for one cabin location over another, take the least expensive one in the category of your choice.

There is one difference in some DV1 cabin locations. If you prefer an aft location, which we wanted on our "Icelands Majestic Landscapes" cruise, your choice is a DV1 cabin or the very expensive ES2 cabins. We just enjoy the views from the stern while sailing the fjords.

For us it's simply got to be at the very least a Junior Suite.  We don't go on a cruise to do laundry, and the earlier opportunity to book excursions (if we want them) makes life a lot easier.

We don't live in cramped conditions in any of our properties, and we're not about to start doing that on a holiday.  We have our standards, and as our suite is our quiet retreat on a cruise, having the better accommodation is simply maintaining our standards.  

So, the convenience, space, laundry etc - it's a no brainer for us (simples!).  If there's nothing suitable available on an itinerary we just amend our choice of cruise.

• Like 1

I absolutely agree with Parsley Cruises on this.  The extra space and the “quiet retreat” is also important to us.  We also would amend our choice of cruise if the PJS wasn’t available — although we would take an upgrade (hehe)

Laundry isn’t important to us.

Knowing that we can get the excursions we want by booking early is important.  Dining choices: not so much.

On a cruise, I like to get up early, have coffee and go to the gym.  The curtain between the sleeping area and the  living room allows me to do that and my DH to sleep in.  It’s perfect for our lifestyle.

Once again thank you for all the responses. As first time cruisers I feel PV is a great entry point and that money saved can be spent on other aspects of holiday like adding on a couple of days at end for example. Laundry can be dealt with in a number of ways . As for excursions probably need to investigate a bit more about where the ship docks in relation to the "town" and what exactly is close by. I certainly agree about wanting my space but that especially relates to tours where extended bus trips do not appeal 🙂 Have been to Berlin and Copenhagen before so wouldnt be doing any Berlin excursions at this stage

Also, flying in from Australia can involve up to 24hrs flying each way and do like my space on planes and comfort at airports even if for a shorter time . Pretty sure the comfort gap between Economy and BC is a lot more than the gap between PJS and PV 🙂 

On 10/4/2019 at 10:36 AM, Heidi13 said:

Only benefit of being on a higher deck for me is the increased distance to the horizon, which is probably about an extra 3/4 miles for each higher deck

I love it when @Heidi13 casually tosses out interesting factoids like this in the Alaska forum.

Tip of the hat to the Captain. 

• Like 4

On 10/5/2019 at 1:34 PM, Flashman181 said:

Also, flying in from Australia can involve up to 24hrs flying each way and do like my space on planes and comfort at airports even if for a shorter time . Pretty sure the comfort gap between Economy and BC is a lot more than the gap between PJS and PV 🙂 

It is. 

5 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Yes! The wait is always the worst part. I have found that the only thing to do is book another vacation, one that starts sooner.

Yes actually have two "land" trips planned before that but cant even book flights yet for them 🙂