Downtown Seattle hotel recommendations

ryano

We are embarking on an Alaskan cruise on Royal Caribbeans Ovation of the Seas next August and are currently booked at the Hilton Garden Inn by the airport.  Since our flight arrives the day before at 1pm, I have decided I want to be closer to downtown and the cruise port.   Im pretty sure Royal sails out of cruise port 91.     Currently looking for reasonably priced hotels in the downtown area.     Any suggestions?   Also does anyone know if there is handicap accessible transportation from the airport to downtown?   

First, define "reasonably priced". There are many, many threads here recommending hotels, but they also commonly report Seattle is not cheap downtown, particularly in summer season.

We have stayed at the Hilton Downtown a couple of times. Pretty good location, walking distance to most sites. Less than $15 taxi to Pier 91.

1 hour ago, ryano said:

Under 300.00 a night before tax if at all possible.

While Seattle is expensive, depending on the day and time of year you can find really nice places for $300 and under-- not the 5 star level but certainly a solid 4 star hotel. The Fairmont Olympic is a great place (used to be the Four Seasons ages ago)-- big grande dame hotel. Prepurchase rates are frequently below $300. 

• Like 1

Look at Seattle Center hotels - Mediterranean Inn (on Queen Anne, many restos, great roof deck), Hotel 5 (in-between center & downtown core; part of the Pineapple chain, very loud decor but good beds) and La Quinta (further from the action, but by far the newest building of the three), Homewood Suites (nearest the pier, but a couple of blocks with nothing immediately around it so a bit more walking to restos etc.) are all decent hotels we've stayed at, would return to, and were significantly cheaper than downtown options. If you can handle rooms with no AC there are even cheaper options like the Belltown Inn. With a $300 budget, you should have plenty of options though.

Seattle like all of the US complies with ADA rules, so you will be able to find accessible cabs (and transit buses, light rail if you want to save money...) but unless you have enough mobility/spare hands in your party as a whole to easily move bags around without help you should probably stick to accessible cabs or shuttles. Do expect more of a wait for cabs due to much lower numbers (SEA just announced that they are upping the accessible airport cab number to 23... out of 410!?!?). Airport website here.

• Like 1

Does anyone have any comments on either the Hampton Inn & Suites / Downtown or Homewood Suites by Hilton / Downtown? Both properties have reasonably good reviews on sites, but if anyone has stayed at the hotels or in the general area, any suggestions would be appreciated.  

I haven't stayed at the Hampton Inn or Homewood Suites in Seattle. Normally I stay at the Grand Hyatt, Fairmont, Hotel Vintage Seattle and Kimpton Alexis, but I stay at a LOT of Hampton Inns and Homewood Suites in other cities across the U.S. and Homewood is always the nicer choice.

11 hours ago, saltwaterfan said:

Does anyone have any comments on ... Homewood Suites by Hilton / Downtown?

Other than what I already mentioned above, I'll add that the room was ridiculously large and there was a cheap shuttle bus to the pier available ($5pp, but that was several years ago).

13 hours ago, saltwaterfan said:

Does anyone have any comments on either the Hampton Inn & Suites / Downtown or Homewood Suites by Hilton / Downtown? Both properties have reasonably good reviews on sites, but if anyone has stayed at the hotels or in the general area, any suggestions would be appreciated.  

In my view both hotels are poorly located, with a slight edge going to the Hampton Inn.  Both are long walks or complicated transit trips to major downtown locations.

For the OP, a quick glance on Expedia revealed numerous hotels  in the actual downtown area (not some marketing person's idea of "downtown") for most Thursday nights in August (you sail on Friday, right?) for under $300.  For example, the Motif, Hotel Five, Palladian, Andra, Courtyard Pioneer Square, and others were all under that price point.  Any of those would be better located than your two.

Edited by Gardyloo

15 hours ago, saltwaterfan said:

I checked out the Hampton Inn & Suites because we love the one in Miami Downtown Brickell and they have a great breakfast too. The reviews said they were renovating.  I called last week and they said that they expect renovations to go on for another 8 months so that means late May. They also said the time frame can be extended, it has already. 

Summer months are expensive.  We go in July and the Fairmont Olympic that was suggested was in the low $400's and up for 2 adults, we have 2 adult age children so the price was even higher and we need a Friday night stay.  In the end, our big choice was whether we wanted to be by the Space Needle or the Pier for the little time we had to tour after landing.  We picked the pier and sucked up the price at the Marriott Waterfront. 

Edited by disneylover89

The reason why I asked about the Hampton and Homewood is because I'm a Hilton Honors member.  The total rates for 6/3/20

are $223 for Hampton or $287 for Homewood with evening drinks.  We will be cruising out of Pier 66 (Bell St) and thought these properties are a short trip.  We've been to Seattle before and has seen most of the sites, so a relaxing night before the cruise would be fine.

8 minutes ago, saltwaterfan said:

The reason why I asked about the Hampton and Homewood is because I'm a Hilton Honors member.  The total rates for 6/3/20 are $223 for Hampton or $287 for Homewood with evening drinks.  We will be cruising out of Pier 66 (Bell St) and thought these properties are a short trip.

As an HH member have you checked The Charter Hotel Seattle (Curio Collection) and The Arctic Club Seattle (DoubleTree)? Both hotels are wonderful and good locations.

If they aren't in a price range you like right now, I'd make a cancelable reservation for the Homewood Suites and keep checking. Before June 2020 the hotel prices for all three will be all over the map. This far out they tend to be high.

Edited by scottca075

On 10/4/2019 at 9:55 AM, ryano said:

We are embarking on an Alaskan cruise on Royal Caribbeans Ovation of the Seas next August and are currently booked at the Hilton Garden Inn by the airport.  Since our flight arrives the day before at 1pm, I have decided I want to be closer to downtown and the cruise port.   Im pretty sure Royal sails out of cruise port 91.     Currently looking for reasonably priced hotels in the downtown area.     Any suggestions?   Also does anyone know if there is handicap accessible transportation from the airport to downtown?   

https://www.silvercloud.com/seattlestadium/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu8HG6e2F5QIVkrfsCh0stg3vEAAYASAAEgK6tfD_BwE

22 hours ago, saltwaterfan said:

The reason why I asked about the Hampton and Homewood is because I'm a Hilton Honors member.  The total rates for 6/3/20

are $223 for Hampton or $287 for Homewood with evening drinks.  We will be cruising out of Pier 66 (Bell St) and thought these properties are a short trip.  We've been to Seattle before and has seen most of the sites, so a relaxing night before the cruise would be fine.

One of the advantages of the Homewood Suites on Western is the proximity to the Elliott Bay Trail.  The West Thomas pedestrian bridge takes you from the hotel to the waterfront parks and pocket beaches. There aren’t a lot of restaurants in the immediate area but there are several within a 10 minute walk. There’s also a Safeway nearby if you need supplies.