Change in soft drinks policy

wowzz

When perusing the P&O FAQ pages I came across the following statement: 

"We do not encourage food and drink to be brought on board, as we would like to think that all your culinary desires are more than adequately catered for on our ships."

I do not recall seeing this before,  or am I mistaken?

Do you think this is in preparation for limiting, or indeed totally prohibiting, the taking on board of water and soft drinks?  

Quite probably. Soda Fountain drinks are called penny pop in the industry because that's how much it costs per glass. At approx. £2 per glass on P&O it's absolutely ridiculous when they use recycled sea water to produce it.

Maybe Carnival UK plan stop passengers bringing their own water on board like they have done on their US brand and reduce the costs of buying water to a supermarket level. Time will tell.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

they use recycled sea water to produce it.

Really??

All water on the ship or in your home or that falls from the sky or you buy in a bottle is recycled seawater. That’s wher water comes from.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, daiB said:

All water on the ship or in your home or that falls from the sky or you buy in a bottle is recycled seawater. That’s wher water comes from.

Lol yes I know that. It just seemed odd seeing it in a post. I had visions of the crew hauling buckets of water up over the side of the ship but instead of swabbing the decks they were filling water bottles and handing them out. Funny what a bit of sunshine can do to the brain, it's quite sunny here today. 😎

• Like 1

They can distil sea water aboard if necessary but I think prefer to fill the water tanks while in port if it is cheaper and of good quality. You can often see the pipework and hoses attached to the ship when alongside.

As for banning any liquids, it is all about profit I am afraid.

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

"We do not encourage food and drink to be brought on board, as we would like to think that all your culinary desires are more than adequately catered for on our ships."

Do you think this is in preparation for limiting, or indeed totally prohibiting, the taking on board of water and soft drinks?  

I do not consider this as a change of policy because it is expressing a preference rather than a prohibition. Provided it stays like this, I cannot see a problem with it although I must admit, taking fresh food aboard may become a health issue, especially as the fridges in the cabin don’t seem to be as cold as they are at home. 

• Like 1

I'm currently using cholesterol lowering mini drinks, bit like Yakult etc, but different good stuff in them.  I doubt Pando have these for sale in the shops or available in the buffet, so they're coming on board with me.  Along with our 1 litre of spirit each!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/9/2019 at 11:34 AM, wowzz said:

The wording is very carefully chosen "We do not encourage" means it is acceptable to do but they would prefer you do not. In legal terms it suggests you can bring on unlimited quantities of soft drink.

Regards John

Edited by john watson