Shetland Islands/Lerwick non refundable deposit, skipping port ??

HI everyone, we will visit next year the Shetland Islands ( Lerwick ) mid June. I found a tour ( Shetland Nature ) and would love to do their tour but they ask for a non refundable deposit. ( even when ship skips the port ) We do have insurance which covers our cruise if we need to cancel it but no insurance for paying back a deposit in case ship skips a port. What would you do ? anyone has experienced skipping Shetland in the past ?  thanks for your advise.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

I wouldn't book this tour.

Shetland Islands port has been know as "unpredictable"....

I'll book only with reliable operators who refund deposits if the ship doesn't dock due to inclement weather conditions. 

the vendor is well known on internet has very good reviews but it is what it is, no refund of the deposit which is 120 gbp

need to look for someone else. thanks for your reply.

I agree.  I would never book a tour with a non refundable deposit if the ship misses the port. 

The Shetland Islands is known for unpredictable weather and rough oceans.  We recently sheltered in Lewis overnight and missed the next port because of rough seas.  Passengers who went on an included day tour said the experience was very unpleasant because of the bad weather.

• Like 2

As others have mentioned, I would not book a non-refundable tour.

I personally have been to Lerwick, Shetland twice - once in the Fall of 2014 and June 2018. Both times, I booked tours which were refundable if the ship didn't make it. Highly recommend Grant Redfern! He's a wonderful tour guide that I have personally used, a native of Shetland.

https://www.shetlandminibustours.co.uk/

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DogLover said:

As others have mentioned, I would not book a non-refundable tour.

I personally have been to Lerwick, Shetland twice - once in the Fall of 2014 and June 2018. Both times, I booked tours which were refundable if the ship didn't make it. Highly recommend Grant Redfern! He's a wonderful tour guide that I have personally used, a native of Shetland.

https://www.shetlandminibustours.co.uk/

Hope this helps.

thanks for the link, yes this is a great help !

Lerwick's a sheltered port - between two islands.  It's unlikely to be cancelled in summer unless (as the post earlier says) the sea as a whole is too rough for the ships.

The ferry to Aberdeen is rarely cancelled in summer, and those ferries are smaller than all but the smallest cruise ships.