Shore excursion at port

Cirdan

This is somewhat weird, but I'm fascinated by the logistic of ports.  Do you know some ports which allow you to visit operations (and having some explanations): pilot, tugboat, but also all cargo operation (container/ bulk). It seems very complex, but also very organized.

The cruise terminal is just one of the many things port operations runs and it may be nowhere the cruise terminal. If you do a search for Port of Xxxxx you should find a way to contact them and find out if a visit is possible.

Expect a good bit of difficulty, at least in the United States.  Some terminals might be able to work out a tour, but access to these things is challenging.  In the U.S., you might help yourself by getting a TWIC "card."  That is similar to a Global Entry card, etc., where you have to provide a birth certificate, passport, etc., to get one, and it then has your identifying data on the card.  That way, they know you have been passed for that, and if they invite you in, it will be easier. Getting on a tug boat or pilot boat would likely be a bigger challenge.  You don't want to be hanging around on the deck of a tugboat, and I would think that unless they had someone to watch over you, they aren't going to want you in the pilot house, and frankly that's where all the action is.  You would likely be in the way in the pilot house as well.  As for a pilot boat, not much to see except the pilot's jumping on the ship, and later jumping off the ship.  I teach a course about famous cruise ship accidents, and I had one heck of a time getting a tour of a bridge when a ship was underway.  A few lines offer quick tours that include the bridge, but I was not on one of those lines, and let's just say it took some work to make it happen.

That being said, modern terminals are amazing, and if you could work out a tour, it would be fascinating.  I have seen documentaries about them, and you might try to find one.

Best of luck.

The problem in the US is two fold.

One is security.  Ports are like airports, most of it off limits to everyone except cleared employees.

The second is safety.   They are busy places with lots of things moving around.  And they are typically not insured for visitors.

Both Amsterdam port in Netherland and Antwerpen ports in Belgium has organized tours - believe that also other ports does have organized tours - Link to Antwerpen Tour of the port and Amsterdam.

Also places as shipbuilder ‘Meyer Werft’ has Organized tours - Meyer is building cruise ships.

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1

On 10/9/2019 at 3:15 PM, Cirdan said:

This is somewhat weird, but I'm fascinated by the logistic of ports.  Do you know some ports which allow you to visit operations (and having some explanations): pilot, tugboat, but also all cargo operation (container/ bulk). It seems very complex, but also very organized.

The main problem with this is not so much security, but the fact that you are asking a variety of entities to join together for a tour of their operations.  Pilots are one organization, harbor master is another.  Tugs are private companies.  Many terminals within a port are owned by separate companies.  Longshoremen and stevedoring are unions and companies with their own rules.

Looking at the Antwerp tours linked above, I believe this would focus more on the history of the port and statistics of the port, rather than how operations actually work.

I don't know if you live near a port, but your best bet to get an overview of port operations would be to contact a port authority and ask their media or public relations department if there is someone you could talk to, or meet with, and take it from there.

And, believe me, it really isn't as organized as it appears.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1

You could try for a visit to a the VTS ... they have a good overall view of who is going where and when, and of course all relevant traffic.

Yes, I agree about the bridge visits. I tried on one cruise ship (professional curiosity ... well being nosey really) and managed it but it was like jumping through hoops - despite me showing them my qualifications and discharge books. Now I don’t bother.