NYC Marathon--Nov 3--Need advice please!

Sheltieluv

Dear New Yorkers,  We will be arriving in Manhattan on 11/2 and staying in Hell's Kitchen Holiday Inn Express for 2 nights before departing on our 11/4 cruise.  I just read that the NYC Marathon will be taking place on November 3.  We had planned to visit Central Park on that day, but it looks like the Marathon route will impact our visit. 

Not being familiar with Manhattan at all, could one of you kindly tell me which part(s) of the park will still be accessible easily?  While we certainly admire the runners' participation, we don't necessarily want to be caught up in the crowds.

We also plan to visit the Grant National Monument and the Museum of Natural History sometime that weekend (and trying the subway system for the first time!)

Anything else we should be aware of since the Marathon will be bringing in thousands more visitors?  I am in a slight panic over this!

Thank you for any and all advice!🙂

Hi. Don’t panic. You’ll still be able to enjoy Central Park. The City is huge and is able to absorb all the extra visitors without any problem.  There will be barricades and such but it will be still possible to walk all over

. I would plan on getting to Museum by subway in the morning. That area is near the finish of the race but shouldn’t be crowded in the morning. The subway might be crowded so you might have to stand but you’ll see people holding signs and going to see their friends in the race. B

Honestly, cheering on the Marathoners is one of the most fun things you can do while in NYC. The area where they enter Central Park is a lot of fun. It’s like watching the Olympics almost. That area is Fifth Avenue and 59th Street near Plaza Hotel. 

2 hours ago, Sheltieluv said:

Thanks so much for your reply!  Am less panicked and will just go with the flow.  Will try to catch the runners' entrance into Central Park.  I appreciate all the tips you gave me!  

Good tips above,however,in addition you might want to call NYC Tourist Information.They are normally very helpful.

On 10/12/2019 at 10:08 AM, Sheltieluv said:

Anything else we should be aware of since the Marathon will be bringing in thousands more visitors?  I am in a slight panic over this!

I lived in Midtown Manhattan for years-- honestly you wont even know its happening unless you go looking for it along the route. The way the design it is so very few places are "cut off" by the route-- you might just need to take a more round about way or take the subway. 

• Like 1

Don't panic. The marathon is a pretty big deal, however there's is always something going on in NYC. The place just never shuts down. There are a ton of things to do in central park. Just do some research about the park and find some things to do.  Have a great time in NYC and have a great cruise, Cheers🍻 

We sailed twice & disembark back at MCT (Pier 88) last year & year before - road traffic on 12th Avenue (basically, everything ... west of Broadway around midtown & Times Square area unaffected.   Just do NOT take taxi, Uber, city buses, etc. to try to go crosstown (East-West or West-East) on Sunday until late in the day/early evening; and, all is fine.  NYC's massive transit/subway system handles 1 to 2 million riders daily - and things will & should continue to operate and run smoothly without missing a beat below ground - the IRT line that runs along 8th Avenue (#1, 2 & 3 subway lines) will be less crowded & get you up to the Central Park & back just fine ... and, closer to OP's hotel.  

Use (download & install ahead) the official MyTransit (MTA) App for last minute route, closure & routing to aid you in getting around & of course, get your Metro Card (1 card can be share by up to 4 person - load enough stored value for your rides, add more if needed) ... also on iOS.  

Subway station (underground) concourses are free WiFi enabled. 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nyctrans.it&hl=en_US

I would like to thank all of the above posters for their advice and tips.  I greatly appreciate your help.  

We have never experienced the subway so we're a bit apprehensive,  but I'm sure we'll manage and rely on the kindness of strangers!

Mking,  you say that one card can be shared.  Since I assume we have to pass through a turnstile,  do I swipe the card and then hand it to my dh and he swipes?  I'm sure I sound absolutely stupid, 😦 but I truly don't know the system.   I thought we would both have to have a card?  I know, I should have "country bumpkin " tattooed on my forehead, lol.