Deck Chair Saving

bryanem

Ok, opinion on this. The wife and I layout everyday. Some days when it’s so hot, we end up standing in the pool almost all day minus the occasional going back to the chairs for sun block, oil or chapstick. Am I supposed to remove my stuff so someone can sit there?  Or are one of you chair police going to remove my stuff because you believe I’m just hogging a chair?

17 minutes ago, Nutsok said:

Ok, opinion on this. The wife and I layout everyday. Some days when it’s so hot, we end up standing in the pool almost all day minus the occasional going back to the chairs for sun block, oil or chapstick. Am I supposed to remove my stuff so someone can sit there?  Or are one of you chair police going to remove my stuff because you believe I’m just hogging a chair?

Are saying you use a chair for storage of chapstick while you are using the pool?

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Nutsok said:

yes in my opinion you should remove your stuff so others can use the chair. I don't place my my bags in a seat on a bus or subway then proceed to stand the entire trip. I think it courteous and polite 

Edited by Tulsacoker
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Nutsok said:

Why would you need a sunbed if you are standing in the pool? Can you not put your sun block, oil and chapstick near the side of the pool? What if someone actually wants to sit down, but all the beds are taken up by chapstick? 🤔🤔

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, shopaholic6 said:

Why would you need a sunbed if you are standing in the pool? Can you not put your sun block, oil and chapstick near the side of the pool? What if someone actually wants to sit down, but all the beds are taken up by chapstick? 🤔🤔

Ok, it’s not just chapstick. Its phones, tablets, towels , shirts, cover up, flip flops, oils, the normal crap you bring to a pool. And I’m not simply just throwing it down on two chair and then jumping in the pool to never return. I might be using the chair, get hot, go into the pool, have a few drinks and strike up conversations with people. So maybe an hour in the pool, 2, even 3?  At what point shall I remove all my belongings From a chair and put them poolside?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nutsok said:

Are you staying in the pool for more than 30 min at a time?  Do you ever have butts in seats for more than a few minutes?  You are chair hogging.  You having stuff saving a chair you aren't really using is preventing someone else from having a place to sit.  DH and I like to sit and read, in the shade preferably, usually in the solarium and we are never out of the chair more than 15-20 min at a time 3-4 times a day.  If we plan to be gone longer we leave the chairs for others to use.  The offical rule is 30 min, not what you think it is.

• Like 4

We sailed on the Anthem this past August and I have to say that no matter what time we went to the pool we were always able to find chairs.  Most of the time the chairs were right by the pool.  We never saw anyone have issues with chairs except the first day.  We had regular chairs in the solarium and there was a couple looking for seats so we asked them to sit at our table as it was for four.  They were grateful and we made new friends.

51 minutes ago, Nutsok said:

Ok, it’s not just chapstick. Its phones, tablets, towels , shirts, cover up, flip flops, oils, the normal crap you bring to a pool. And I’m not simply just throwing it down on two chair and then jumping in the pool to never return. I might be using the chair, get hot, go into the pool, have a few drinks and strike up conversations with people. So maybe an hour in the pool, 2, even 3?  At what point shall I remove all my belongings From a chair and put them poolside?

IMO, I don’t think you are hogging a chair.  You are using a chair at the pool and using the pool and I am willing to bet that most of the people using the pool are doing the same thing.  I’ve never seen piles of stuff laying along the pool and I don’t think anyone is timing how long you are in the pool.

My definition of a chair hog is the people who place their stuff on a chair, leave the pool area, to do other things, then come back 1, 2, 3 hours or more later expecting to have a chair.   And that’s part of the problem, we all have different ideas of what a chair hog is. 

And I think that if you know someone is not really using their chair, you should ask a pool attendant to remove their things. You should never take them and throw them in the trash, that is not your right.

Sherri🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shopaholic6 said:

I don't have a dog in this fight and believe chair hogs are very imaginative, but where near the side of the pool? I can't even imagine what it would be like if everyone did that with their stuff. 🙄

• Like 2

Just now, davekathy said:

I don't have a dog in this fight and believe chair hogs are very imaginative, but where near the side of the pool? I can't even imagine what it would be like if everyone did that with their stuff. 🙄

My point exactly😀

Sherri🙂

25 minutes ago, sjb317 said:

IMO, I don’t think you are hogging a chair.  You are using a chair at the pool and using the pool and I am willing to bet that most of the people using the pool are doing the same thing.  I’ve never seen piles of stuff laying along the pool and I don’t think anyone is timing how long you are in the pool.

My definition of a chair hog is the people who place their stuff on a chair, leave the pool area, to do other things, then come back 1, 2, 3 hours or more later expecting to have a chair.   And that’s part of the problem, we all have different ideas of what a chair hog is. 

And I think that if you know someone is not really using their chair, you should ask a pool attendant to remove their things. You should never take them and throw them in the trash, that is not your right.

Sherri🙂

Royal's definition is no butt in seat for 30 min.

• Like 1

I personally have no problem moving items that I have noticed have been sitting for 30 minutes or more. It's evident that the cruise line employees are so afraid to offend someone or to have someone get in their face and be rude because they have removed their items. It's the problem with society these days. My hubby and I always go together and get our spots. One of us might leave to go get drinks, use the restroom or even run back to the room for something. When we are both away, it is to use a hot tub and we aren't in there for more than 15 minutes and within eye view of our spots.

I truly wish the crew would stand by their policy and police these things a little better!

• Like 3

Chair hogs nearly ruined our last cruise on Independence of the Seas spring break week in April. It didn't matter how early we got to the pool, every chair was saved with hardly any people in sight. With kids that we have to keep an eye on in the pool, it made it very difficult. We ended up skipping the pool multiple days because of it (queue the kid meltdowns). The one day we did get a chair (not even a good one), I left it once for 5-10 minutes to use the rest room and when I came back my belongings were on the ground and my chair was GONE. Someone must have taken it as soon as I left. It was one of the rudest things I've experienced on a cruise... I personally hate the chair game and wish cruise lines would find a way to add more and/or do a good job of enforcing the 30 minute rule!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sjb317 said:

My definition of a chair hog is the people who place their stuff on a chair, leave the pool area, to do other things, then come back 1, 2, 3 hours or more later expecting to have a chair.  

Exactly!

People reserve their chairs at 7 am, go about the day's activities, and perhaps, just perhaps, sit their butts in the chairs they reserved for a half hour after lunch, before resuming their afternoon activities around the ship. Then they collect their things before dinner. They expect the chairs to be their property all day.

Fixing that situation alone would be enough to solve the problem.

• Like 3

I see pool attendants walking around with what looks like blinders on.................trying to avoid any conflict (Allure July).

When approached and asked about all the towels basking in the sun, he looked confused.

No answer.

This always seems to be a loosing battle for us..................

We just get  2 loungers away from the pool and then lock the chairs together with our Kyss bag, and sit on the edge of the pool and go back frequently to drink from our soda cups and lotion up...................and there were always plenty of chairs open around us, even on sea days. 

We never try to get pool side chairs, because we have witnessed conflict when people hover in and move towels and the chair hoggs come back hours later and throw a pissy fit.......

But to those who enjoy pool side, go for it.

For me, just want to chill.

Safe travels.

54 minutes ago, MightyMike said:

Exactly!

People reserve their chairs at 7 am, go about the day's activities, and perhaps, just perhaps, sit their butts in the chairs they reserved for a half hour after lunch, before resuming their afternoon activities around the ship. Then they collect their things before dinner. They expect the chairs to be their property all day.

Fixing that situation alone would be enough to solve the problem.

Yes!  True story:  We were returning from an excursion once and rode up in an elevator with a couple also returning. We went straight to the solarium (they did not) where we noticed “ their “ chairs were already reserved. This couple had had the same chairs everyday, I recognized their stuff.  About 20 min or so after we arrived, they came in, put some more stuff on their chairs and left.  We were there for a few hours, they never returned. Now that’s a true chair hog.😂

We have seen this couple on several cruises. They always do this.

Sherri🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BND said:

Royal's definition is no butt in seat for 30 min.

Which in most cases they choose not to enforce.  And it seems to me that is a silly “rule” when there is no place to put your stuff and no way to police the time people spend in the pool. 

So, if I stay in the pool for 29 min, get out, sit in my chair for 2 or 3 min, then I can “legally” get back in the pool for another 29min?😂

Sherri🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bearsfan82 said:

We were on adventure in May and much to our surprise, the attendants in the solarium were hyper vigilant about chair hogs on sailing days. 30 minutes on the dot, stuff was removed. Really put the cherry on top of that wonderful cruise

They were not that vigilant at all when we were on Adventure the end of April.  You must have had new hires.😂

Sherri🙂

7 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

The 3 of us go to the pool to use the pool.  Haven't saved a chair and come back hours later ever though.  You can all have my chair if Royal would provide more cubbies or lockers to put my stuff in while in the pool.  

I like the idea of cubbies. As long as the cubbies are close enough to the pool so the people can keep an eye on their stuff. Small lockers would work also.

1 hour ago, sjb317 said:

Which in most cases they choose not to enforce.  And it seems to me that is a silly “rule” when there is no place to put your stuff and no way to police the time people spend in the pool. 

So, if I stay in the pool for 29 min, get out, sit in my chair for 2 or 3 min, then I can “legally” get back in the pool for another 29min?😂

Sherri🙂

We've seen it enforced on several ships and especially in the last few years, but the point is, it doesn't matter what any of us "think".  Your opinion is it's "silly" so you don't follow rules you think are silly in your everyday life?  Everyone will have a different opinion on how it should be done if there were no rule.  It's a 30 min rule and whether they enforce it or not, why is it okay for some to ignore it?   It's gotten worse, because honestly, the entitlement mentality I've seen is ridiculous.  No rule means I can go put towels on 15 chairs and come out later and sit in one and you cant do a thing about it.  Regardless of what people post on here because what you see is complaints, most do follow the rules.   Those that don't follow the rule tend to be very belligerent and think no rule ever applies to them, especially if they "think" it's "silly".

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

On 10/13/2019 at 12:44 PM, compman9 said:

DW and I find two chairs and use them

When we have finished we take our towels and leave the chairs

We have never once saved a chair, but occasionally one of us will leave to get two drinks - we are never away from the chairs we are using for more than ten minutes

Use of chairs any other way is disrespectful to every other passenger on the ship - No exceptions

we are up at the pool super early and stay all day.  Other than getting drinks or going to the restroom, we are there all day.  Might run to WJ and grab a quick bite, but never gone more than 20 minutes.