THE SECRETS OF THE NCL HAVEN LUXURY EXPERIENCE

Sthrngary

48 minutes ago, complawyer said:

being the anti-social animal that i am, not to mention a grumpy old curmudgeon, since they call the haven "a ship within a ship" other than going to the specialty restaurants, shore excursions, possible shows, and sugarcane, im more than happy to stay where i am in the haven. yes, ill explore the ship, but by and large, there isnt a great deal of anything else on board that i require or care to see or hear.

I feel the same way.  Other than the venues you mentioned, I see no real reason to lay.about the rest of the ship.  That would be like renting the luxury box at the Super Bowl, but deciding to spend half the time watching the game from the bleachers.

• Like 3

and isnt  the comfort, luxury and exclusiveness of the haven exactly why people book those cabins. thats why  people book 1st class on airlines, and specific floors in hotels. i like to stay at hotels that offer club lounges for guests staying in specific rooms.  done this at crowne plaza hotels in hong kong, barcelona and hamburg. marriott has this an we did this in athens a few months ago prior to our cruise. 

with t he 24 hr on call butler, and concierge, why go anywhere else?

12 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

I know the Haven like the back of my hand.  I also have traveled enough on NCL to give some recommendations.  That means the way I feel which might not suit your needs to keep that in mind.

Food and good food is never an issue.  When the Haven Restaurant is closed, the buffet is open.  Most NCL ships have a 24/7 restaurant that is really good.  They are called different things on different ships.  I love the burgers and wings there.  The hotdogs are good also.  

The key to enjoying the Haven in general is to leave it and enjoy the ship also.  When the ship gets to busy or you just want some privacy, you go back to the Haven.  You will not get a complete cruise experience if you stay in the Haven the whole time.  Remember, I do the Haven a lot.  I also love the pool games at the main pool, go cart track, Lasor tag and the water slides.  

I recently went on the NCL joy for the second time in four months.  The first time I was in the Haven, the next time I was in a club suite outside the Haven.  The club suite taught me to enjoy the whole ship and my next trip with will be in the Haven, will be that much better.  This includes foods.  

I hope all that makes sense.  Ask me anything.

Cruise well.

Hi,

If we miss the Haven lunch on embarkation day, which is a possibility, what do u recommend for a snack around 230P? I know it’s a crazy day for the butlers etc. 

Thanks 

8 hours ago, complawyer said:

and isnt  the comfort, luxury and exclusiveness of the haven exactly why people book those cabins. thats why  people book 1st class on airlines, and specific floors in hotels. i like to stay at hotels that offer club lounges for guests staying in specific rooms.  done this at crowne plaza hotels in hong kong, barcelona and hamburg. marriott has this an we did this in athens a few months ago prior to our cruise. 

with t he 24 hr on call butler, and concierge, why go anywhere else?

I completely agree with you complawyer. When I first got to the Haven I thought I'd spend little time there. Then I took a stroll around the open decks, saw the mass of humanity lazing about by the pools, the number of children chilling on the stairs (spring break), and the busiest buffet I've ever seen. We retreated so quickly to the Haven and quiet. 

Do I sound snobbish? Perhaps. Did I enjoy the exclusivity of the Haven? Immensely. Will I do it again? Every single cruise! 

• Like 4

@scooter6139 have your butler deliver almond croissants to your room. Best food item on the entire ship! They even beat our local handmade bakery at home. 

If you need it, have a pot of tea or some French Press delivered with the croissants. The Nespresso machine was enough for me so I stopped this delivery after the first day. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, drbeamer said:

Hi,

If we miss the Haven lunch on embarkation day, which is a possibility, what do u recommend for a snack around 230P? I know it’s a crazy day for the butlers etc. 

Thanks 

The embarkation day schedule is a bit different. It should be open at 2:30. If you're on a ship with American Diner, you can also dine there for free. I'd recommend American Diner as all your other meals should be in the Haven Restaurant. It's just that good! 

Get the mozzarella sticks, a burger or chicken sandwich and pay the upcharge for a milkshake. I'd say banana, but I'm sure any of their milkshakes count as literally the best I've ever had! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I completely agree with you complawyer. When I first got to the Haven I thought I'd spend little time there. Then I took a stroll around the open decks, saw the mass of humanity lazing about by the pools, the number of children chilling on the stairs (spring break), and the busiest buffet I've ever seen. We retreated so quickly to the Haven and quiet. 

Do I sound snobbish? 

Not at all.

First, let me state that there is no shame in not being able to afford staying in the Haven.  In fact, there is an eminently sensible argument for not staying in the Haven; to wit, if one spends less per cruise, one can take more cruises.

I'm not John Beresford Tipton, so that is the equation the Good Mrs. Benson and I had to balance.  We decided we preferred to cruise in luxury, but do it only once a year or every other year.

But enjoying your stay in the Haven and the attendent extravagances is nothing to feel self-conscious about.  You've paid for those perquisites.  It might be something you can afford to do every month, or it might be a once-in-a-lifetime blaze of indulgence.  Either way, wanting to capitalise on all that comes with it isn't snobbish.

Edited by CDR Benson
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, drbeamer said:

Hi,

Thanks 

@drbeamer I can tell you are very excided and new to the Haven by your comment.  Please remember, my response to you is my personal opinion.  On CruiseCritic.com, everyone has their own take on the advice given.

The first day onboard is not a great time to engage the Butler to much.  They are doing things behind the scenes.  If you do, all they will do is bring you regular room service which is less then good.  So instead, to to either the buffet or the 24/7 Restaurant.  Get something simply like a burger or salad.  You will have lots of time to eat at the Haven for lunch.  Remember, the Haven has the same menu and it never changes.  Some folks like this others do not.  I like it.

Hope that helps.

Cruise well.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, complawyer said:

cdrbenson: john beresford tipton?, "BOY" are you aging  yourself. how many people reading these posts do you think  will get the analogy? 

I'm impressed you recognised the topical reference.  I tip my hat to you, sir.

As to your question, the Good Mrs. Benson has made similar remarks, and my reply is the same:  "It's not my task to keep up with them---it's their task to keep up with me."

Edited by CDR Benson
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, drbeamer said:

Hi,

Thanks 

There is a "snack" menu that you can order from the pool/deck attendant. Ask the concierge or bartender if you don't find the deck attendant. There are things such as Caesar chicken salad wraps, cheeseburgers, falafel pitas, ice cream sandwiches, and a few other things.

• Thanks 1

Question, we have been in 2 bedroom suites many times but not on the Pearl and not in the Haven. In other 2BR suites the balcony fit 2 loungers or 1 lounger and 2 chairs with the small balcony table they us. For the Haven 2 BR on You Tube video it shows only 2 chairs and they are cramped. Does this mean the Pearl Haven balcony's are smaller? I know we have the Haven pool and upper deck, but it is during school vacation don't expect to find much in the way of loungers for this trip.

Thanks everybody.

cdrbenson, im 74 and quickly approaching 75, of course i would recognize the reference. i just didnt think anyone would remember, much  less in 2022 make reference to it. i tip my hat to you also and to the good mrs benson. i wish for you both to have continuing happy and joyful cruises.

if in the future we find each other on the same cruise, the 1st drink is on me lol

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, complawyer said:

cdrbenson, im 74 and quickly approaching 75, of course i would recognize the reference. i just didnt think anyone would remember, much  less in 2022 make reference to it. i tip my hat to you also and to the good mrs benson. i wish for you both to have continuing happy and joyful cruises.

if in the future we find each other on the same cruise, the 1st drink is on me lol

With pleasure, sir, as long as you let me get the second round.

The Good Mrs. Benson isn't THAT much younger than I am---she recognises nearly all of my references---but, yesterday, even she furrowed her brow when we were talking about art and I mentioned Jon Gnagy.

Edited by CDR Benson
  • Haha 1

@latebloomer56 We were in a 2BR on the Pearl in 2019 and the balcony is not very large. It had two chairs and a table/foot stool.  I doubt a lounger would fit very well-maybe one.  Our room was right across from the pool area and it was easy just to pop over there and relax on a lounger, no view of course.  The sun deck was rarely very busy, same with the pool area.  

We were on the Getaway in a 2 BR in March and I don't think that balcony was any larger.

I know a lot of people don't care for the Haven in the Pearl because it doesn't have a dedicated bar and restaurant, but I think I enjoyed that ship more. We basically made the bar outside the Moderno Churrascaria our bar! We loved the bartender. The Concierge at the time with super helpful and always looking out for us.  The Getaway was at full capacity and the bartenders just didn't connect as much and weren't quite as fun. Not what you were asking for, but my 2 cents!

• Like 1

his tutorials never worked for me. to this day i cant draw for s**t. i still have problems drawing either a circle or a straight line.

ok how about  this."how is the view from the peanut gallery" or it has a good beat, it's easy to dance to, and i'll give it a 75

7 minutes ago, complawyer said:

his tutorials never worked for me. to this day i cant draw for s**t. i still have problems drawing either a circle or a straight line.

ok how about  this."how is the view from the peanut gallery" or it has a good beat, it's easy to dance to, and i'll give it a 75

HOWDY DOODY, which I never cared for, except for Princess Summerfall Winterspring---hubba hubba!  (A shame what happened to Judy Tyler.)

And the Rate-a-Record segment of AMERICAN BANDSTAND.

1 hour ago, mnpurple said:

@latebloomer56 We were in a 2BR on the Pearl in 2019 and the balcony is not very large. It had two chairs and a table/foot stool.  I doubt a lounger would fit very well-maybe one.  Our room was right across from the pool area and it was easy just to pop over there and relax on a lounger, no view of course.  The sun deck was rarely very busy, same with the pool area.  

We were on the Getaway in a 2 BR in March and I don't think that balcony was any larger.

I know a lot of people don't care for the Haven in the Pearl because it doesn't have a dedicated bar and restaurant, but I think I enjoyed that ship more. We basically made the bar outside the Moderno Churrascaria our bar! We loved the bartender. The Concierge at the time with super helpful and always looking out for us.  The Getaway was at full capacity and the bartenders just didn't connect as much and weren't quite as fun. Not what you were asking for, but my 2 cents!

Thank you, we are taking our two grown sons and grandson again. The two bedroom suites have worked well for us. The Haven is a surprise for them, hoping they can use the pool and hot tub even if a bit crowded because it is cool in April and this area is covered. The balcony is for us 😊.

• Thanks 1

@latebloomer56 The pool is quite small, but was in both our Haven experiences, so hopefully that isn't a problem for the grandsons. I will say, we were on another line recently, with the ship within a ship experience and loved it!!  I don't want to get in trouble on this thread by going too far off topic.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, mnpurple said:

@latebloomer56 The pool is quite small, but was in both our Haven experiences, so hopefully that isn't a problem for the grandsons. I will say, we were on another line recently, with the ship within a ship experience and loved it!!  I don't want to get in trouble on this thread by going too far off topic.

We were on the Gem in the DOS ( once and done for us) and the pool is the same size. I think it will be to small but a novelty for them to have this they are adults and our grandson will be 13.

Me I only do suites on NCL for the quiet breakfast or lunch.

• Thanks 1

Bid on Haven for our NCL Epic cruise in September 2022.  Can the butler/concierge get us Spa passes or would we have to run to the Spa on embarkation day and get them.  Same thing with Vibe/Posh?

Last one, does the Ship reserve seats for Haven cruisers for the big shows in the theater? 

6 hours ago, CDR Benson said:

HOWDY DOODY, which I never cared for, except for Princess Summerfall Winterspring---hubba hubba!  (A shame what happened to Judy Tyler.)

And the Rate-a-Record segment of AMERICAN BANDSTAND.

Rinky Dink, anyone?

My favorite at the time.

GC