THE SECRETS OF THE NCL HAVEN LUXURY EXPERIENCE

Sthrngary

7 minutes ago, mnpurple said:

I can share my experience from March 2018 at Tampa. I looked for a separate line and never found one. I asked several people and none of them knew anything about a different area. We waited in a very hot and long line before showing our passports, then moved to another line and I kept asking and we were finally pulled out of line. It was probably a couple hours. Once pulled out, they brought us through security and to the lounge.  They said people were walking around carrying a Haven sign, never saw it. We missed all of the Haven "orientation" and lunch and it was frustrating. Hopefully things have changed, but may be worth giving the Haven phone number a call.  We will be on a cruise out of Manhattan in March and I am looking into this same thing.

Good point about the call. Thanks

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

For the record, idk what is wrong with me, but now I am thinking about paying 260.00 to upgrade to a forward facing penthouse on deck 9 or 13 from a HJ on deck 14.

Someone talk me into it/out of it? 😛

What ship and what is an HJ?  I thought all Haven categories have numbers now.

3 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

I havent been to Tampa's port but I am sure there is a Suite/Haven area of some sort 

5 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

For the record, idk what is wrong with me, but now I am thinking about paying 260.00 to upgrade to a forward facing penthouse on deck 9 or 13 from a HJ on deck 14.

Forward facing penthouse has a smaller balcony than HJ-bedroom area is smaller as room is split into two areas-Bdrm/sitting-dining room area. Consider Haven Penthouse Suite-HI-(I have booked for Joy 3/19/22). Bigger bedroom area, walk-in closet, and bigger balcony than HJ and Fwd Facing penthouse and on your current sailing(if i am right is 3/5/22) it is now 260.00 less for two than HJ-reach out to NCL and they will probably upgrade you for free as current price may be less than you paid for  HJ. Currently HJ is 1663.00 and HI is 1533.00

• Like 2

Going to cruisedeckplans - LINK:

Norwegian Joy Deck Plans, Layouts, Pictures, Videos (cruisedeckplans.com)

Note the Haven has numbers and letters for the type of Haven suites

Something new ?

Maybe it is the Deluxe Owners suites and 2BR that are numbered ?

The rest appear to be lettered - higher letters smaller less expensive suites ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Something new ?

I had it wrong; not sure why I thought they were all numbered.  

It doesn't appear to be just about size or cost either; the Spa Suite is H9 but those are smaller and generally seem to cost less than the HF Courtyard Penthouse.

34 minutes ago, Acruzaholic said:

Forward facing penthouse has a smaller balcony than HJ-bedroom area is smaller as room is split into two areas-Bdrm/sitting-dining room area. Consider Haven Penthouse Suite-HI-(I have booked for Joy 3/19/22). Bigger bedroom area, walk-in closet, and bigger balcony than HJ and Fwd Facing penthouse and on your current sailing(if i am right is 3/5/22) it is now 260.00 less for two than HJ-reach out to NCL and they will probably upgrade you for free as current price may be less than you paid for  HJ. Currently HJ is 1663.00 and HI is 1533.00

So I paid 1533 for HJ, ideally I'd want to be in the courtyard but the cost difference is 664 😕 I'll ask my TA if I can move to the HI at least for now 

36 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Something new ?

From what I have been able to determine, the number vs letter distinction is for Haven Suites that only hold 3 or hold 4.  Doesn’t apply to the 2BR and DOS, but the HG holds 4, but the other forward facing with the number designation only holds 3. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

assuming the floor plan on the NCL site is valid thats  steal assuming you like the locations. the extra room would be wonderful. meaning you get that separate living room.  and bathroom is def bigger. i havent looked at deck plans but as long as nothing bad is above you id do it. also beware on princess i had a suite forward and the balcony was more metal and more enclosed on the side of the ship but i didnt care. was so cool looking out the front window. do a vid tour to ensure the balcony and other room space is good for you but as a percent 260 is not that much more. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

So I paid 1533 for HJ, ideally I'd want to be in the courtyard but the cost difference is 664 😕 I'll ask my TA if I can move to the HI at least for now 

this is from my personal bliss experience in a courtyard penthouse: unsure if joy is the same cabin or not.  but i hated the tub shower. the glass doors were horribly positioned and partially opened up onto the sink . it was awkward getting in and out. i know you dont have 3 people with you but i did and you def dont want 3 in that cabin. there's nowhere to go so to speak. joy may have other courtyard rooms i'm not familiar with but i felt the penthouse was very overpriced for what you got. also super tiny balcony unless you get the deck with larger ones (deck 17 on bliss). also i felt the bathroom overall was tiny for the suite pricing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mnpurple said:

I can share my experience from March 2018 at Tampa. I looked for a separate line and never found one. I asked several people and none of them knew anything about a different area. We waited in a very hot and long line before showing our passports, then moved to another line and I kept asking and we were finally pulled out of line. It was probably a couple hours. Once pulled out, they brought us through security and to the lounge.  They said people were walking around carrying a Haven sign, never saw it. We missed all of the Haven "orientation" and lunch and it was frustrating. Hopefully things have changed, but may be worth giving the Haven phone number a call.  We will be on a cruise out of Manhattan in March and I am looking into this same thing.

Had something similar happen in Ft. Lauderdale on, IRCC, Princess.  The staff herding people through only wanted to do the easiest thing.  I asked several times about a suites check-in and was told repeatedly to just go sit over there and wait.  About the third time, the staff told me they would bring a supervisor if I didn't follow their instructions.  I told them I wanted to speak to a supervisor.  It took the supervisor about a minute to get us into the suites lounge area.

On another Fort Lauderdale cruise, Holland, I had six bottles of wine.  The check in line said I would have to leave the wine with them because Holland hadn't sent someone to man their wine desk.  Yeah, good luck with leaving the wine.  I told them I would leave a note for Holland and they could contact me on board. Had to get rather forceful.  But I was finally allowed to proceed wine and all.  And, yes, I went to guest services once on board and insisted on paying the corkage.

Bottom line.  You need to know your rights and insist upon them. In a nice and friendly manner of course.  Even if it requires a supervisor.

6 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

assuming the floor plan on the NCL site is valid thats  steal assuming you like the locations. the extra room would be wonderful. meaning you get that separate living room.  and bathroom is def bigger. i havent looked at deck plans but as long as nothing bad is above you id do it. also beware on princess i had a suite forward and the balcony was more metal and more enclosed on the side of the ship but i didnt care. was so cool looking out the front window. do a vid tour to ensure the balcony and other room space is good for you but as a percent 260 is not that much more. 

Because I have way too much time on my hands while waiting for my sailing, 

I am by the elevator on Deck 14 right now 

72283567_ScreenShot2022-02-13at11_49_26PM.thumb.png.d138a5737010e5c0791245cce335bb5a.png

and here is example of the walk I would have from a fwd facing room 

1646519178_ScreenShot2022-02-13at11_55_36PM.thumb.png.b0a06d22baa130a072e2cea4a4e3b229.png

The small balcony/extra walk to the elevators is the only thing holding me back from springing for the fwd facing penthouse.  I love to walk on a cruise so I am not too worried about the walk, but it *would* be nice being right by the elevators. Idk if I will need the extra space either, as it's just me and my husband, but the luxury of having the extra space is always nice

Also, why are these fwd facing rooms so different on each deck? Is one more preferable than the others2061749795_ScreenShot2022-02-13at11_50_24PM.thumb.png.ca9901cd19675f840cc3490fb09e7679.png

1250795786_ScreenShot2022-02-13at11_50_44PM.thumb.png.26570d8e8eecc1640a26b5c1a7469f2c.png

487903367_ScreenShot2022-02-13at11_51_35PM.thumb.png.d25eea5f0390f57c4267f08b90bbf220.png

1647851725_ScreenShot2022-02-13at11_52_06PM.thumb.png.0bd4f3d5886e551f26cf193e1f66f236.png

3 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

I love to walk on a cruise so I am not too worried about the walk, but it *would* be nice being right by the elevators

I stay as far away from the elevators as I can , the hall noise and constant traffic bother me, even in the haven I tried to pick the 2Bedroom that seemed the farthes out of the way 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Currently on Joy in cabin 14178 which is a HI.   It takes no more than 1 minute to enter the door to the Haven Courtyard.  And there is no noise what so ever in the hallway.   We feel it is really a perfect location and the perfect cabin.  Cabin and balcony is huge (two loungers, two chairs and a table with room to spare).   We are going to definitely try to book this cabin again the next time we are on the Joy in 2024.

Edited by vacation44
Forgot the quotes
  • Thanks 2

72283567_ScreenShot2022-02-13at11_49_26PM.thumb.png.d138a5737010e5c0791245cce335bb5a.png

1646519178_ScreenShot2022-02-13at11_55_36PM.thumb.png.b0a06d22baa130a072e2cea4a4e3b229.png

The small balcony/extra walk to the elevators is the only thing holding me back from springing for the fwd facing penthouse.  I love to walk on a cruise so I am not too worried about the walk, but it *would* be nice being right by the elevators. Idk if I will need the extra space either, as it's just me and my husband, but the luxury of having the extra space is always nice

Also, why are these fwd facing rooms so different on each deck? Is one more preferable than the others2061749795_ScreenShot2022-02-13at11_50_24PM.thumb.png.ca9901cd19675f840cc3490fb09e7679.png

1250795786_ScreenShot2022-02-13at11_50_44PM.thumb.png.26570d8e8eecc1640a26b5c1a7469f2c.png

487903367_ScreenShot2022-02-13at11_51_35PM.thumb.png.d25eea5f0390f57c4267f08b90bbf220.png

1647851725_ScreenShot2022-02-13at11_52_06PM.thumb.png.0bd4f3d5886e551f26cf193e1f66f236.png

1 hour ago, fox02554 said:

I stay as far away from the elevators as I can , the hall noise and constant traffic bother me, even in the haven I tried to pick the 2Bedroom that seemed the farthes out of the way 😂

See post above.

Edited by vacation44
Combine

1 hour ago, fox02554 said:

I have stayed in the past near the elevators-never noticed and excessive hall noise-Proper use of the beverage package greatly enhances the sleeping.🤩

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

Currently on Joy in cabin 14178 which is a HI.   It takes no more than 1 minute to enter the door to the Haven Courtyard.  And there is no noise what so ever in the hallway.   We feel it is really a perfect location and the perfect cabin.  Cabin and balcony is huge (two loungers, two chairs and a table with room to spare).   We are going to definitely try to book this cabin again the next time we are on the Joy in 2024.

We are booked in 14778 for 3/19/22 sailing, which is the same cabin opposite 14178-never stayed in this cabin before w/angled balcony-could you please post pictures of the balcony and possibly the room, so I can see what I have to look forward to😁. Thank you. 

6 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

i admit i didnt know they were that different each deck. id be on youtube and CC researching vids for every room to see the differences. but im crazy like that. on the BA i actually started a thread here to see which rooms had the pole in the middle of the haven spa rooms and what crew doors were across the hall. i'm that detailed. 

or maybe there's already a thread here. i guess the design of the ship necessitates a bit of deviation for each deck plan. if you are really detailed you'd also find exterior close up shots to zoom in and see each balcony and any possible obstructions or differences as well. depends how much free time you have. 

regarding the walk. dont worry about it. i'm out of shape and very lazy but i never minded the walk when i had the forward suite on princess. the suite was it's own reward. that being said, it was a super rough cruise and with the drink package i did get sick being up front and high up. but it was force 10 winds and you had to hold on for dear life to the bar in the shower. if you have no issues being up front with rough seas then id go for it. 

i never saw an HI so i watched this vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxeF9b5KzSU 

id take that room over a courtyard penthouse with certainty. sooo much bigger and i dont mind the standard mini suite bathroom vs the fancier courtyard one. (same darn shower glass though) but still 260 more for literally an entire living room with the forward cabin is hard to pass up! i wish the older ships had the HI category. id buy it in a minute. in that vid there's a lounger on the balcony but im unsure if one woudl fit on the forward suite balcony. that may be a deciding factor. 

one thing personally that would sway me is check normal pricing for the forward suite. if it's a reallllly good deal. take it. cause after the virus is gone things will be normal pricing and we cannot afford such things then lol. thats one reason i booked my 2 br on getaway. it's a steal at 2500. i checked and during christmas week the 2 br is 12K. totally crazy. im trying to get as many deals as i can while pricing is low. 

i did notice this on the plans which means the cabin would be totally different so beware of that type of cabin

Please note stateroom #13108 is an ADA accessible stateroom.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, vacation44 said:

We are booked in 14778, which is the starboard-side "mirror image" of 14178,  for our cruise on Joy in September.  I am glad to hear your description; it confirms everything I predicted about those two suites when I researched my Haven options.

Much obliged for your report.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

Also, why are these fwd facing rooms so different on each deck? Is one more preferable than the others

They really aren't that much different. The deckplans are just colored in that way. There are subtle differences such as connecting door vs. no connecting door and slight balcony variations. Choosing the right deck is more about the view, the walk to the elevators, not picking a wheelchair accessible stateroom, not being directly under the bridge, etc.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CDR Benson said:

We are booked in 14778, which is the starboard-side "mirror image" of 14178,  for our cruise on Joy in September.  I am glad to hear your description; it confirms everything I predicted about those two suites when I researched my Haven options.

Much obliged for your report.

You are very welcome.  I researched the cabin selection for hours and definitely feel I made the right decision.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Acruzaholic said:

We are booked in 14778 for 3/19/22 sailing, which is the same cabin opposite 14178-never stayed in this cabin before w/angled balcony-could you please post pictures of the balcony and possibly the room, so I can see what I have to look forward to😁. Thank you. 

Here is the balcony. The first one is the right side when we walk out and the second one is the left side.

PXL_20220214_121410523.MP.jpg

PXL_20220214_121345627.MP.jpg

• Like 1