Internet purchase question - Grand Princess

mk-ultra

So, first time I'm sailing on Princess.  Grand Princess out of SF next January.

When I go to purchase internet access online, the only option is "In Cabin Calling to Shore" (10 minutes for $49.50).  I understand this is an older ship that doesn't have the latest and greatest connectivity, but it's incredibly vague as to what I'm actually purchasing.  Ship-to-shore calling (don't need)?  10 minutes of WiFi access (that would be crazy)?

The Grand is not expected to have the new fast medallion net service installed until end of February 2020. Once on board you should be able to purchase some kind of slower internet plan, but probably no unlimited plan where you can be connected all the time.

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion/medallionnet/

That is just for calling, as voljeep said, there will be packages later. I will warn you that in my experience on the Grand the wifi SUCKS.  Things that should take less than 5 minutes eat up 30 minutes of wifi. The very early morning hours are the best time to get on.  

The Grand Princess currently shows the following packages for my cruise in December.

All the following prices include a one time activation fee. The minutes in parenthesis are bonus minutes for pre purchasing. This must be purchased in advance as a gift to yourself to get the bonus minutes.

MINUTES

PRICE

100 (20) 

$69.00

free for Platinum and above for 7 day cruise and less

200 (40)

$99.00

free for Platinum and above for 8-20 day cruise

400 (60)

$159.00

free for Platinum and above for 21 day cruise and above

600 (80) 

$199.00

The following are package prices for the 15 day cruise if paid in advance. Regular price in parenthesis. This must be purchased in your cruise personalizer to get the discounted price. Prices may differ for Platinum and Elite once aboard. I have heard it is 25% off instead of the above minutes.

Package

Price

PrincessCONNECT — Premium Package

From email to streaming, enjoy truly premium, unlimited access!

$199.99 ($234.99)

PrincessCONNECT — Surf Package

Surf your favorite sites from email, news, sports and more.

$139.99 ($169.99)

PrincessCONNECT — Social Package

Unlimited access to the most popular social websites and applications.

$99.99 ($119.99)

Edited by denmarks

The OP did not indicate when their cruise is.  With the Grand scheduled to get the new MedallionNet the price of internet will be dependent on whether the OP's cruise will be before or after the installation of the new internet.  For that reason the internet fees may not be posted yet. 

33 minutes ago, denmarks said:

The Grand Princess currently shows the following packages for my cruise in December.

All the following prices include a one time activation fee. The minutes in parenthesis are bonus minutes for pre purchasing. This must be purchased in advance as a gift to yourself to get the bonus minutes.

MINUTES

PRICE

100 (20) 

$69.00

free for Platinum and above for 7 day cruise and less

200 (40)

$99.00

free for Platinum and above for 8-20 day cruise

400 (60)

$159.00

free for Platinum and above for 21 day cruise and above

600 (80) 

$199.00

The following are package prices for the 15 day cruise if paid in advance. Regular price in parenthesis. This must be purchased in your cruise personalizer to get the discounted price. Prices may differ for Platinum and Elite once aboard. I have heard it is 25% off instead of the above minutes.

Package

Price

PrincessCONNECT — Premium Package

From email to streaming, enjoy truly premium, unlimited access!

$199.99 ($234.99)

PrincessCONNECT — Surf Package

Surf your favorite sites from email, news, sports and more.

$139.99 ($169.99)

PrincessCONNECT — Social Package

Unlimited access to the most popular social websites and applications.

$99.99 ($119.99)

Interesting.  I'm not being presented any of those options under "Internet Access" for my January sailing. 

1592792535_ScreenShot2019-10-13at1_52_47PM.thumb.png.bb3cd3be850e1098d67641010119cfab.png

That's the only option presented in the cruise planner.

Edited by mk-ultra

22 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

The OP did not indicate when their cruise is.  With the Grand scheduled to get the new MedallionNet the price of internet will be dependent on whether the OP's cruise will be before or after the installation of the new internet.  For that reason the internet fees may not be posted yet. 

OP (that would be me) did indicate when the cruise is in the first sentence of my post  (January 2020 out of SF).  😛

Edited by mk-ultra
  • Thanks 1

My cruise is Dec 3, 2019. It still shows the same 3 packages I have indicated but they inserted the In-Cabin Calling To Shore into the box with the 3rd package. Something strange is happening. Note that the by the minute packages are not shown but from all my reading of posts it is still available.

temp.jpg

For me, it's not a make-it-or-break it decision.  I kinda hope they offer a regular package for my cruise, but I'm also OK with telling work, "sorry -- unless I'm in port, no connection."  🙂

That disconnect was one of the best reasons for taking cruises for a decade.  "I'll be unreachable."

Edited by mk-ultra

Just now, mk-ultra said:

For me, it's not a make-it-or-break it decision.  I kinda hope they offer a regular package for my cruise, but I'm also OK with telling work, "sorry -- unless I'm in port, no connection."  🙂

It’s possible the prices are not out because it will have the upgraded Technology for Wi-Fi even though not quite OM ready for all services??? Maybe, wishful thinking?

3 hours ago, jennybenny said:

It’s possible the prices are not out because it will have the upgraded Technology for Wi-Fi even though not quite OM ready for all services??? Maybe, wishful thinking?

We cruised on Emerald late July/early August, right before they were supposed to do the upgrade to the faster Wi-Fi. The week before we cruised, the faster Internet went live on Emerald and we had the option to upgrade once we were onboard.  I had gotten packages for our three kids and it was cheaper to upgrade to the new, faster Wifi on board.   We got a refund for the difference in cost.