Market Dinner

islandchick

I am one of those who does not like buffets, but I can tell you that the Galley Lunch (which is a buffet throughout the galley) is spectacular.  Many different kinds of food are served--something for everyone.  The quality is very high.  Even so, since I don't care for buffets, I could skip it.  My husband disagrees--he loves it.  This is just to say that food is SO subjective.  You will just have to experience it for yourself.  All of us are individuals and have different likes and dislikes.  I like quiet and serene with a white tablecloth--and never a buffet.  Some people love going to buffets all the time and absolutely love the Galley Lunch.  I've never been to the Indian Market dinner, but have heard that many love it.  I doubt that I will ever go. 

Edited by SLSD

I agree with Wripro that the Market Dinner is an OK change of pace after you have tried the other dining venues.  In our experience, it is not the best food available on Seabourn.  As to the Market Lunch, it is a huge affair offered once on each cruise segment where the kitchen is open for you to explore and pick out your menu choices buffet style but in the kitchen.  Last time we noted that the menu choices were simply a rehash of all of the dishes that had been available in the buffet upstairs and on the menu in the dining room, nothing new or unusual.  Just the oldies but goodies.  We do not like to overeat, especially at lunch time, so this is far from our favorite Seabourn experience.  But many passengers dearly love it.  And it can be a bit of a bun fight.

We like the market dinners as a bit of a change; we like Indian food and the Indian one is usually well-enough done to be worthwhile. There's usually some kind of local market dinner which can be good. If we're not sure we pass through, take a look and if we like it, stay and if not, go to the MDR. Looking is free! 

The galley lunch, neither of us ever really took to it. Colonnade buffets sort of work as people can go in different directions (and boy some of them do!) however the galley market lunch is for the most part a long line through the kitchen and if you're trying to pick up one thing, can be a bit of a wait. As noted most of the food is exactly what you've seen on other days, but if you missed the English fish and chips or are jonesing for some more cottage pie, the galley lunch may be an opportunity to revisit a favourite. 

I always think that the Galley Lunch is a chance for those behind the scenes to showcase their skills, I love it.  We don't get a chance to see the chefs and cooks who are putting together the wonderful meals for us and as far as I'm concerned, it's great to go into the Galley and have the opportunity to see it working in situ.  They always looks very proud of their offerings too!  

• Like 3

Islandchick,

Being your first Seabourn cruise, I would recommend trying the Chef's Galley Lunch (if it's offered on your cruise).  Some us love it and others apparently, not so much. It's a Seabourn experience you should try at least once and make up your own mind. Heck, try everything once: Caviar in the Surf, Rock the Boat party, trivia, and even the life boat drill :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dalliowner said:

The trick is to walk along the line and then go back and choose , otherwise you choose a dish and further along you wished you had not .

I agree with you.  I find that for any buffet style meal it's always best for me to check all the offerings first and then get a plate.  I seem less likely to overfill my plate that way. 😀

12 hours ago, Mauzac said:

I always think that the Galley Lunch is a chance for those behind the scenes to showcase their skills, I love it.  We don't get a chance to see the chefs and cooks who are putting together the wonderful meals for us and as far as I'm concerned, it's great to go into the Galley and have the opportunity to see it working in situ.  They always looks very proud of their offerings too!  

Mauzac, Even though I do not like buffets, I do enjoy thanking staff for all they have done thoughout our voyage.  It is fun to see the array of food presented.  I just don't like a meal like this.  I am probably in a minority.  I usually choose very little, but enjoy the display. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SLSD said:

Mauzac, Even though I do not like buffets, I do enjoy thanking staff for all they have done thoughout our voyage.  It is fun to see the array of food presented.  I just don't like a meal like this.  I am probably in a minority.  I usually choose very little, but enjoy the display. 

I'm with you SLSD.  Staff goes to a lot of work to make this a special experience so whether or not one eats a full lunch or just grabs a cookie, it's great fun.  

• Like 1