Liberty vs. Majesty advice

KsucAts

My family wants to take another cruise.  Disney has priced us out and the kids are now 16 & 18, so definitely not worth it.  Probably going to go in early June or late May.  We live in Kansas and I want to save my airline miles for another trip to Europe and if we add $2000 to the cruise for flights, it will end up being more than I want to spend for this trip.  So with that being said, we are likely to go on the Liberty (for the 3rd time) out of Galveston.  I am intrigued by going out of New Orleans.  We could handle that additional drive.  The cruise is less expensive by quite a bit and we get ports we have never been to.  Would love to go to the private island.

But after starting to do a bit of research, I don't think we would be happy on that ship.  On the Liberty, my wife and I have gotten the drink package and enjoyed a couple drinks by the pool during the day, but loved the nightlife options on the Liberty.  It just doesn't seem like there will be that many options on the Majesty.  My son loves the slides, playing basketball, and hanging out with kids his age.  My daughter will be 18 for the first time and not sure what she will enjoy doing as she will be too old for the youth activities and too young to drink.  (She wouldn't drink if she could - we went to Ireland two months ago and she was legal there and refused to try anything.)  

So before I completely give up on the Majesty, I thought I would come here to see if anybody had experiences that may convince me we would enjoy a week on it over the Liberty.  The new ports (private island and Floriday Keys) are a bonus, the extra drive is a negative.  If the ships were equal, we would go to New Orleans in a heartbeat for the new ports.  

I cannot speak to sailing out of Galveston or New Orleans, but having spent years traveling with teenage boys, I would vote for Liberty. They loved the Flowrider, sports courts and pool areas. Majesty only has one pool and one children's splash area, so the pool is packed. More dining options as well. Enjoy whichever option you choose.

4 minutes ago, Tulsacoker said:

I would choose Majesty for the different ports.  

While I do enjoy visiting new ports, I wouldn’t take 2 teenagers on Majesty for a week (especially after they have come to know a Freedom Class Ship), I don’t think they would enjoy themselves, and subsequently neither will Mom and Dad

• Like 1

We're considering Majesty for a quick 3 night cruise in December, but ONLY  because of the low price of the cruise. 

There is almost nothing about the Majesty that I see as an improvement over the Freedom class, except for maybe the Schooner bar.

I see Majesty as a cruise ship for those that just need to get away at a cheap price point.

Dan

1 hour ago, bilyclub said:

25 years ago the Majesty was the newest biggest cruise ship on the seas, being just 2 years old.  She still beats the pants off some of the old junks Carny has out there.  That being said. she's not a kids ship.

I know they are sister ships but loved Sovereign and did not care for Majesty. 

2 hours ago, SHIP TRAVELER said:

In 2020 the Enchantment has some 7 day cruises out of Galveston that go to Key West and Coco Cay.  They might not fit the OPs schedule but they are tempting to those of us that are tired of the Western Caribbean ports.

I did notice that one and will do a little research.  The feedback here has confirmed what I had thought and we have ruled out going to New Orleans.  How does the Enchantment compare?

13 hours ago, bilyclub said:

I get it.  Greatly prefer the Freedom over Liberty and especially Indy, but still go on them. 

That's really interesting.  We've been on all three and find them far more similar than different, to the point that I pretty much consider them equal.  The "amping" that Royal Caribbean is doing to them is making them different right now because some are amped and some not, but at some point soon all three will be amped and very similar again.

Just curious why you like the Freedom over the Liberty over the Indy?

Dan

5 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

That's really interesting.  We've been on all three and find them far more similar than different, to the point that I pretty much consider them equal.  The "amping" that Royal Caribbean is doing to them is making them different right now because some are amped and some not, but at some point soon all three will be amped and very similar again.

Just curious why you like the Freedom over the Liberty over the Indy?

Dan

The Indy just has a totally different vibe to it, though Joff was good. Maybe because it was across the pond so much.  Might have been the home port or itineraries that led me to book/like Freedom.  I won't book anything out of Galveston until they fix the rental car options.  Certainly don't like the taking of public space and turning it into cabins that is happening nowadays.

I haven't yet been on the Majesty, but I wouldn't suggest taking older teens on it.  It just doesn't have the activities that Liberty has.  That's not a drawback for hubby and I, its appealing, as is hitting Key West and Coco Cay, but mostly I booked the cruise so that we could leave out of New Orleans.  We did that on Serenade a few years ago and it was still one of the most memorable cruises for us.  Such great music!  And we both loved sailing down the Mississippi.

Unless your kids like to read and bask in the sun, they'll be much happier on Liberty or Enchantment out of Galveston.

Edited by 2Long2NxtCrz