Would you feel comfortable landing in Asia 6:45 am for a 11am-3pm same day boarding?

Stockjock

59 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

I bet we talked!  I was the pilot with the "really cool, macho, smooth talking, manly, inspiring" voice wearing the "cool pilot sunglasses" (at night)!  😜 Seriously, I have the utmost respect for y'all!  Y'all do a fantastic job, ESPECIALLY when things go "south," even if you do put us in holding waaaaay tooo much!   😎

Can’t blame me for putting you in the hold anymore, I retired 4 years ago🥳🥳

• Haha 1

No. Anything goes wrong, weather, wind, equipment issues, you miss the cruise. I could never stand the stress close connection would cause.

We always arrive at least one day prior to our cruise. Stay in a hotel, enjoy a nice dinner.

Arrive to the ship already relaxed.

On 10/15/2019 at 9:48 PM, Stockjock said:

Doing a 4-day cruise out of Singapore.  The plan is to spend a few days in a hotel after the cruise and possibly to go straight from the plane to the ship.  

Total airtime from the U.S. should be about 18-20 hours each way.  I'm shooting for something with 1 stop, so SoCal to SFO to Singapore and then something similar on the way back.

Looking at a flight that is scheduled to land in Singapore at 6:45 am with United Airlines the day of the cruise.  Check-in starts at 11:00 am and ends at 3 pm with a 4:30 pm departure.  It should take about 25 minutes or so to get from the airport to the cruise terminal.  Obviously one would have to get their bag, clear Customs, etc.  Apparently it usually takes about 30 minutes to clear Singapore Customs.

It sounds to me like this would be doable.  Only risk would be if you missed a flight or was a major delay.  I figure I could have a problem that costs me maybe 4-5 hours and still make it.

Given this, would you feel comfortable with these flights?

Comfortable.  I don’t know about that but would i do it.  Yes.  

We’ve flown in to LHR from JFK before and landed at 9am to get to Southampton by 5pm and that’s a 90-120 minute drive.  Could we miss it?  That’s a possibility but we figured worst case scenario is we take the Chunnel to Paris and then a taxi 2.5 hours to the port as it was going to Le Havre next day.   Figured we could spent more time in parks if we missed.  We made it with ample time.  It all comes down to your confort level.

6 hours ago, ATC cruiser said:

Can’t blame me for putting you in the hold anymore, I retired 4 years ago🥳🥳

I know the feeling...I retired 3 years ago!  Ain't it great!!!!   My "retirement gift" to myself was a 44 night cruise from Honolulu to Sydney last year!   FANTASTIC!  😎

Can you not check the percentage of onetime arrivals for the flight you are looking at?  That should tell you a little something about your chances.  If it’s on time most of the time I would go for it.  Of course I would get insurance that said if I missed my ship they would get me to it.

I used to travel from the US to Asia (Taiwan, HK, and Singapore) 5-10 times a year. On multiple occasions (3 or 4?) I was a day or more late. Got stuck over-night in San Jose, LA, and once in HK that I can remember. I have been 3-5 hours late on multiple occasions as well (maybe 5-10% of the time?). So just based on my real-world experience and 3+ million miles in the air flying to Asia (across just about every major airline), you have about a 90% chance of making it. However, you also have to figure in the airline strikes in Taiwan as well as the civil unrest in HK since both of these hubs greatly impact air travel in the rest of Asia. Would you make it? Probably. Would I personally risk it? Heck no. I would fly in at least 2 days in advance.