Teenagers on NCL Encore and Bliss - Bored?

SeaWatcher65

Any suggestions for teenagers?  Will they be bored?  Does Entourage have fun activities that don’t cost?

Cruising with 14 year old son on Encore .  His 3rd NCL cruise.  I am reading that Encore has limited open space on the top decks (not restricted to Haven or Vibe guests).   The go karts and laser tag are expensive.  Arcade games cost.   I don’t want to spend $500+ on these extras.   I am reading that there is no sports court and no rock climbing wall?   The water slides are fun I know. But the pool area is more for adults (especially having seen excessive drinking around the pool). 

NCL Getaway and Escape was so much fun with the rock wall, ropes course, zip line, sports court, etc all at no extra charge.  Starting to think I should have booked Royal Caribbean!

The Escape is the most fun. The Bliss is still great. The kids pool and waters

Slides are fun. We already talked about the laser tag and the go karts are fun. There is a 9 hole mini golf on Bliss. Kids club ....There is bowling and you can buy the Arcade Pass and play there and by the Local as well. If you’re kids are bored then its your kids that are the issue, sorry to put it so bluntly. Remember, the Encore hasn’t even sailed yet ....

I don't see how you could sail Encore with a 14 year old boy and skip the go carts.  Yes there is a fee but I just can imagine not racing at least once.   I just try to imagine myself at age 14 and could never be bored on a cruise ship especially Encore.  The virtual reality zone, the huge laser tag, go carts, etc.  Yes there is a fee but it costs to do just about everything on a cruise ship.

1 hour ago, Motegi said:

Perhaps you could reach out to the original poster of this thread or one of the other respondents for their post cruise impressions:

I am the OP with the above quoted post.  We were on the Bliss last Thanksgiving with our teen son.  We did have a great time on the Bliss, but our son actually did prefer the Escape.  He did the go karts twice and he said that was enough.  He just didn’t think they were all that great.  Both times there were younger kids who couldn’t really drive so they were always slowing down the karts to help the smaller kids.  Both times we had laser tag reserved, it rained so it was cancelled.  We were booked on the Encore for this Thanksgiving but we switched to the Escape.  All the extra costs on the Encore just isn’t worth it for us especially since it wasn’t that big of a hit for him on the Bliss.  Now reading the Encore will have very limited deck space makes us really happy that we switched.  I hope my response helped a little.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Tell the teen that he can do whatever "extra cost" activities that he wants but he has to pay for them himself. He has plenty of time to earn/save some vacation money before the cruise. Simply add that amount to his card and let him spend until it is done.

Others state the weekly pass is probably not worth it and a few times on each activity- go karts and laser tag - is enough. I’m hoping that Entourage has fun activities.  The last time he cruised, he was not old enough for Entourage.  He liked the Splash Academy when he was younger.  I am hoping I am wrong and they will have a sports court.   

Edited by SeaWatcher65

11 minutes ago, SeaWatcher65 said:

Others state the weekly pass is probably not worth it and a few times on each activity- go karts and laser tag - is enough. I’m hoping that Entourage has fun activities.  The last time he cruised, he was not old enough for Entourage.  He liked the Splash Academy when he was younger.  I am hoping I am wrong and they will have a sports court.   

My teen always enjoys Entourage.  The Encore will not have a sports court.  That is what my teen missed the most when we went on the Bliss.

4 hours ago, SeaWatcher65 said:

Any suggestions for teenagers?  Will they be bored?  Does Entourage have fun activities that don’t cost?

Cruising with 14 year old son on Encore .  His 3rd NCL cruise.  I am reading that Encore has limited open space on the top decks (not restricted to Haven or Vibe guests).   The go karts and laser tag are expensive.  Arcade games cost.   I don’t want to spend $500+ on these extras.   I am reading that there is no sports court and no rock climbing wall?   The water slides are fun I know. But the pool area is more for adults (especially having seen excessive drinking around the pool). 

NCL Getaway and Escape was so much fun with the rock wall, ropes course, zip line, sports court, etc all at no extra charge.  Starting to think I should have booked Royal Caribbean!

Yes the newest ships have more entertainment options that have an added fee. It'may be a  challange to hope a 14 year old isn't going to want to partake in those Go karts, Laser Tag, and Video games of amusement.

Had two teens on bliss, never bored. But they did like the escape much better. They did not like the location of the club on bliss, and missed the court, and free deck activities. (vs waiting an hour for cars, laser tag).

It totally depends on your teen and what he is into. My son wouldn't step foot on a sports court, and wouldn't even know it is gone. He's happy with video games, music, chess, and simply making new friends and hanging out. He loved the organized activities in Encore, such as scavenger hunts and various contests that could include everyone. He loved karaoke in the club, and the dance parties. There was plenty to do, and none of those things would go away because of the ship differences between Escape and  Bliss/Encore.

19 hours ago, david_sobe said:

I don't see how you could sail Encore with a 14 year old boy and skip the go carts.  Yes there is a fee but I just can imagine not racing at least once.   I just try to imagine myself at age 14 and could never be bored on a cruise ship especially Encore.  The virtual reality zone, the huge laser tag, go carts, etc.  Yes there is a fee but it costs to do just about everything on a cruise ship.

So “14 years old” was multiple decades ago for us. But we still enjoyed the Go Karts and VR pavilion on the Joy. At our age, much more than a rock wall or ropes course on other ships. 

Encore was designed wit you in mind. Go Carts, Virtual Reality, Laser Tag (and your usual water slides etc) etc.  They gave up a lot of real estate to provide these new activities geared toward families and kids.  Our teenagers were always totally fine with ropes course and slides on BA/GA and Escape.

I'm not sure if they need all that stuff at all. Just recently came back from a port intense two week cruise on a jewel class ship that hasn't all of those new features anyway. And the probably around a dozen teens did what teenagers do, obviously they preferred the areas sparsely occupied by adults. They seemed to have a great time. Hopefully no cruise babies were made 😂

As long as they find some peers, a no brainer on ships that large, no worries. 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, onetimearoundtheworld said:

I'm not sure if they need all that stuff at all. Just recently came back from a port intense two week cruise on a jewel class ship that hasn't all of those new features anyway. And the probably around a dozen teens did what teenagers do, obviously they preferred the areas sparsely occupied by adults. They seemed to have a great time. Hopefully no cruise babies were made 😂

As long as they find some peers, a no brainer on ships that large, no worries. 

On the Gem, my boys spent a lot of time on the sports deck, they would miss it more than waterslides (spent more time on the Breakaway on the sports deck than slides or rope course).

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

So “14 years old” was multiple decades ago for us. But we still enjoyed the Go Karts and VR pavilion on the Joy. At our age, much more than a rock wall or ropes course on other ships. 

True.  I don't see how ANYONE could be bored on a new or newer cruise ship whether 10 years old or 100 years old.  I get a kick out of the "will my kids be bored" threads.  I guess because growing up we never took vacations or just did a day trip somewhere.  Cruises would not even be dreamed about.  I think Encore more than any other ship is designed for kids.  I would love to take a poll of teenage boys.  Go carts vs rope course.  I guarantee you Go Carts and laser tag wins EVERY time.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, david_sobe said:I would love to take a poll of teenage boys.  Go carts vs rope course.  I guarantee you Go Carts and laser tag wins EVERY time.

Well, you can’t guarantee that. I asked my 16 year old, and he said ropes course. Granted, he’s been known to climb up there and not come down for 2 hours, and I’m sure he’s in the minority. He loves the ropes course. He said he’d try the others, but I can’t see him doing them more than once or twice. 

13 hours ago, david_sobe said:

True.  I don't see how ANYONE could be bored on a new or newer cruise ship whether 10 years old or 100 years old.  I get a kick out of the "will my kids be bored" threads.  I guess because growing up we never took vacations or just did a day trip somewhere.  Cruises would not even be dreamed about.  I think Encore more than any other ship is designed for kids.  I would love to take a poll of teenage boys.  Go carts vs rope course.  I guarantee you Go Carts and laser tag wins EVERY time.

All so true! My parents never took me anywhere when I was a kid expect to our cottage. We never took a real vacation. I could only dream of taking a cruise on a ship like the Bliss and Encore. My kids always come with us now as they are old enough and have been on 6 with the Mrs. and I. Kids/teens today are a lot different than 40 years ago when a pocket knife and a stick was entertaining to me. Even though I do have kids the thought of having to worry about kids of this awful generation (yes I said it) being bored on an an amazing cruise makes me face palm and shake my head. If my kids ever say they’re bored once they can stay home with grandma and they know it. Showing our kids the world is a treat .....now we just have to pull their noses out of their iPhones.

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

All so true! My parents never took me anywhere when I was a kid expect to our cottage. We never took a real vacation. I could only dream of taking a cruise on a ship like the Bliss and Encore. My kids always come with us now as they are old enough and have been on 6 with the Mrs. and I. Kids/teens today are a lot different than 40 years ago when a pocket knife and a stick was entertaining to me. Even though I do have kids the thought of having to worry about kids of this awful generation (yes I said it) being bored on an an amazing cruise makes me face palm and shake my head. If my kids ever say they’re bored once they can stay home with grandma and they know it. Showing our kids the world is a treat .....now we just have to pull their noses out of their iPhones.

I don’t think kids are awful, at least not the ones I know. My kids would rather have the option of a pick up soccer or basketball game than spend a whole 10 minutes in a go cart. They spend at least 4 hours a day on a cruise at the sports court, at home they head out to the soccer fields or basketball courts on a regular basis. I’ve had a ball of some sort in my minivan for the past 20 years.

• Like 1

We switched from a booking on the Bliss last year back to the Escape (or the Gettaway - I forget) after discovering that the new ships no longer have a sports court.  Our teen spends hours on it on sea days.  I'd rather have him outside and exercising and playing than inside playing video games while we're on vacation.  The new ships (while laser tag and go-carts sound like fun) would not work as well for him.  There's not enough physical activity for him to do - teens can't even use the gym until they're 16 (and most of the pool area is "adult").  Being "bored" doesn't signal that they are ungrateful kids, in my mind - it signals that they need to burn off some energy.  I do wonder whether complaints of teens being in the way / causing issues are higher on the new ships...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

I don’t think kids are awful, at least not the ones I know. My kids would rather have the option of a pick up soccer or basketball game than spend a whole 10 minutes in a go cart. They spend at least 4 hours a day on a cruise at the sports court, at home they head out to the soccer fields or basketball courts on a regular basis. I’ve had a ball of some sort in my minivan for the past 20 years.

I didn’t mean awful in the sense that they are bad. I mean awful that they (not all) don’t want to do anything physical and/or have a hard time finding things to do that don’t involve electronics. No creativity ...... I agree that it’s important for them to get physical activity as many of us know so many young kids don’t even step outside anymore because they can’t detach from YouTube. When you stay inside there is a lack of creativity and heck, even physical movement. Kids need to burn some real energy. I felt the Escape was a better ship because of the better physical options. 

4 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

I didn’t mean awful in the sense that they are bad. I mean awful that they (not all) don’t want to do anything physical and/or have a hard time finding things to do that don’t involve electronics. No creativity ...... I agree that it’s important for them to get physical activity as many of us know so many young kids don’t even step outside anymore because they can’t detach from YouTube. When you stay inside there is a lack of creativity and heck, even physical movement. Kids need to burn some real energy. I felt the Escape was a better ship because of the better physical options. 

The escape sounds great, encore and bliss not so much. My kids were/are 3 season varsity athletes in HS, club sports for the college students, enjoy running and hiking, ds16 rides his bike all over town. My boys love Xbox, but there is a balance.