Soured by Arrival Appointment Time

crockea

2 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I consider the majority of passengers on Galveston cruises being from Texas as a huge plus.  The best thing about cruising out of that port to me is the general friendliness of the majority of passengers.  If they had a wider variety of itineraries, we would cruise from Galveston every time.

TNcrusing02, you, your friends and family are welcome to TEXAS anytime! 

• Like 3

Just now, Joe817 said:

TNcrusing02, you, your friends and family are welcome to TEXAS anytime! 

One of my sons went to Texas A&M and the group of friends he made are awesome.  Every time we visited Texas to see him or cruised out of Texas, we met so many wonderful friendly people.  The cruise experience is just a notch above our other cruises because of it.  We still enjoyed all of our cruises from different ports, but the ones from Texas were the best as far as the passengers.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2019 at 11:19 AM, sweetsixteencruisers said:

Going on the Magic in January we have a 12:00 arrival. We will be priority for the first time. Should we go earlier? My daughter and Dad have a different booking then us.  They’re not priority, can they board with us? Also Dad will have assistance getting on the ship.

Thanks in advance!

If you all show up at 11:45 you'll start the process together, no problem.  

Does when you arrive actually matter?

All the cruise lines seem to do this staggered boarding times -- I've always just shown up when I always do at 11 and been on board by 12, regardless of the "official" time we are supposed to board.

27 minutes ago, bamelin said:

Does when you arrive actually matter?

All the cruise lines seem to do this staggered boarding times -- I've always just shown up when I always do at 11 and been on board by 12, regardless of the "official" time we are supposed to board.

Now that they have the new system with appointment times, if you are not priority and arrive either before your appointment time or after it, you will have to go to the early/late line.  So, people can still arrive early, but should be prepared for possible long lines at the early/late line.  Since boarding zones are being assigned during online check in for many ports, if you have a late boarding zone you may have to wait awhile after being seated.  They used to assign boarding zones upon arrival at the port, but many ports don't do it that way anymore.

Still, the times we did not have priority but arrived earlier than our appointment time, we were on the ship before our appointment time.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TNcruising02 said:

Now that they have the new system with appointment times, if you are not priority and arrive either before your appointment time or after it, you will have to go to the early/late line.  So, people can still arrive early, but should be prepared for possible long lines at the early/late line.  Since boarding zones are being assigned during online check in for many ports, if you have a late boarding zone you may have to wait awhile after being seated.  They used to assign boarding zones upon arrival at the port, but many ports don't do it that way anymore.

Still, the times we did not have priority but arrived earlier than our appointment time, we were on the ship before our appointment time.

I don't have a choice on arrival time unfortunately as we are being transferred in by Carnival from the airport.  Not a big deal either way -- will have waited months for the cruise, I can wait a little longer =)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bamelin said:

I don't have a choice on arrival time unfortunately as we are being transferred in by Carnival from the airport.  Not a big deal either way -- will have waited months for the cruise, I can wait a little longer 😃

I wonder if they let people who use Carnival's transporation to the port enter the port through the appointment line anyway.  It seems like they should since you don't have control over the time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

In another thread someone checked in online as soon as they could for the Panorama and received a 12:30 pm appointment time.  Let’s assume they received A1 as their boarding zone since they checked in as soon as they could.  Do you think they could show up to the port at 11 am go in the early/late line and be onboard at 11:30 am or 12:00 pm?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, habitatnal said:

In another thread someone checked in online as soon as they could for the Panorama and received a 12:30 pm appointment time.  Let’s assume they received A1 as their boarding zone since they checked in as soon as they could.  Do you think they could show up to the port at 11 am go in the early/late line and be onboard at 11:30 am or 12:00 pm?

I haven't cruised from Long Beach yet, but I do have a cruise on the Panorama in December and will definitely see.  My appointment time is 1:00 to 1:30 and boarding zone is B13.  I will probably get there earlier and go to the early/late line and hope for the best, but will be prepared for a long wait.  

On my cruise on the Breeze out of Port Canaveral, I had zone A1 and an appointment time of 11:30 to 12:00.  I arrived at 10:45 and and they called zone A1 at 11:10.  I just have no idea how it will be in Long Beach for a huge new ship.  They aren't even offering FTTF until February 2020.

Edited by TNcruising02

1 hour ago, habitatnal said:

If Panorama is similar to when Horizon first got to Miami, I doubt it based on the large numbers of Diamonds and Platinums on these cruises along with the large number of people showing up prior to their scheduled check-in time. 

2 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I wonder if they let people who use Carnival's transporation to the port enter the port through the appointment line anyway.  It seems like they should since you don't have control over the time.

They do

• Like 2

update on our experience with check in.  I didn't arrive too early as I didn't want to be sent to a naughty area.  We arrive maybe 20 minutes prior to our window.  nobody ever checked our paperwork to turn us away.  check in was the same pace as what I am used to.  thanks all!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, crockea said:

update on our experience with check in.  I didn't arrive too early as I didn't want to be sent to a naughty area.  We arrive maybe 20 minutes prior to our window.  nobody ever checked our paperwork to turn us away.  check in was the same pace as what I am used to.  thanks all!

Good.  Now I can sleep tonight.  So much drama.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, crockea said:

How was the cruise overall? I think a lot of us got the impression that you were not thrilled to be cruising Carnival in the first place and you were going to make that the theme of the cruise. It was gonna be bad no matter, so I'm interested to know if it was as bad as you thought it was gonna be or were you pleasantly surprised?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, crockea said:

So all the negativity to begin with over nothing. Nothing is ever how WE want things to go, but it does/did work out with minimal stress.

Hopefully the rest of your vacation went well. Isn't that what vacations are for to relax and rejuvenate?

• Like 2

On 10/19/2019 at 12:09 PM, coevan said:

not true at all

Totally true.  Got off a cruise from NYC last year, admittedly on NCL.  The Coast Guard did a surprise inspection of the ship and their emergency procedures.  We didn't start boarding until after 12:30.  Yes it was NCL but the delay was because of the Coast Guard, not the cruiseline.  Could happen at anytime.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 3:37 PM, mom2tcdx2 said:

There typically are earlier check in times, it just depends on how fast you completed your paperwork as well and chose the arrival time.  I haven't been turned away, as most times we have had to arrive based on when the hotel had a shuttle etc.  

Our upcoming cruise I am platinum, our shuttle picking us up is at 9:30 going from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami.  Our arrival time is listed as 1 PM.  I know we will be early, but I don't think that would be an issue.  While I like to arrive early, I do also find it nice to arrive after others have already checked in and some of the crowds are just already gone.  

1 hour ago, buckeyefrank said:

Totally true.  Got off a cruise from NYC last year, admittedly on NCL.  The Coast Guard did a surprise inspection of the ship and their emergency procedures.  We didn't start boarding until after 12:30.  Yes it was NCL but the delay was because of the Coast Guard, not the cruiseline.  Could happen at anytime.

What the heck are you referring to?  The post I responded to said to arrive anytime you want and you could board.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, geoffrywillhardt said:

How was the cruise overall? I think a lot of us got the impression that you were not thrilled to be cruising Carnival in the first place and you were going to make that the theme of the cruise. It was gonna be bad no matter, so I'm interested to know if it was as bad as you thought it was gonna be or were you pleasantly surprised?

We got what we paid for. In saying that I am saying I did not know about FTTF so I didn't pay for it so I did my online thing as normal and got a later arrival time as what I am used to.  I got a lot of flack for not liking this new system and voicing it.  I have cruised Carnival a lot in the past and didn't like to be told I couldn't use my 1st day as a 1st full day as much as I wanted. It was only an hour and a half but to me it was not a happy feeling.  The food in the dining rooms and the Italian restaurant was yummy yummy yummy!  Lido buffet was smaller than what I'm used to and there were always lines.  Guys Burgers and the Pizza were also real good.  Room stewards, dining room staff and the cruise director were fantastic.  The shows were so-so but it was this groups first week together so I am sure subsequent sailings will be better.  Our room smelled like sewage most of the time.  We were on deck seven in balcony cabins.  Alchemy Bar made some super powerful and fun drinks.  There always seemed to be a lot of people in the public spaces so it always felt crowded.  There were excellent things and some not as excellent but we had a fabulous time as I expected we would. Thank you again to everyone in the beginning who reminded me to get over my disappointment. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, coevan said:

What the heck are you referring to?  The post I responded to said to arrive anytime you want and you could board.

My apologies as I totally misread your post.  Was reading through and must have been thinking about a previous post or something....  or maybe it's just old age.

9 minutes ago, coevan said:

aren't check in and boarding times two different things?

Yeah i think your correct. You check-in first then wait to board the ship. At least thats how it worked on our last cruise out of NOLA. 12/18