Car rental in Maui

MoyCoy

Does anyone know how to rent a car in Maui , from the cruiseport?

I know there is a company with a van that will pick the Rental Car Drivers up from cruise port . I thought it was Alamo. I called Alamo and they stated that they dont pick up from cruiseport. Is it National? 

There is a car rental facility not too far from the port. We rented a car 5 years ago when we cruised to Maui and stayed over night. For the life of me, I cant remember how I set up that rental. 

Can you still park close to the cruise port? 

Please help?

Edited by MoyCoy

44 minutes ago, MoyCoy said:

Does anyone know how to rent a car in Maui , from the cruiseport?

I know there is a company with a van that will pick the Rental Car Drivers up from cruise port . I thought it was Alamo. I called Alamo and they stated that they dont pick up from cruiseport. Is it National? 

There is a car rental facility not too far from the port. We rented a car 5 years ago when we cruised to Maui and stayed over night. For the life of me, I cant remember how I set up that rental. 

Can you still park close to the cruise port? 

Please help?

Which Maui port? Kahului or Lahaina?

2 hours ago, PCWalton1 said:

Which Maui port? Kahului or Lahaina?

Critical question!!

And in the case of Kahalui, they have opened a new rental car facility that doesn't require shuttle serviced to get you to their location if you fly in. As a result, I don't believe anyone is operating shuttles of any type any more. But I could be wrong.

If the OP ever comes back I was going to recommend using the app Turo. It's like AirBnB for cars as you rent from owners. We did this last month in Lahaina. Just picked up the car at the owner's house over by the Safeway, key was in it. Some owners will even bring car to the port. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MoyCoy said:

Does anyone know how to rent a car in Maui , from the cruiseport?I

Your posting history shows you may be on the Ovation of the Seas.  If that is so, you will be tendering off of Lahaina.  Do some specific research on car rentals in Lahaina/Ka'anapali for the information you are seeking.

1 hour ago, PCWalton1 said:

If the OP ever comes back I was going to recommend using the app Turo. It's like AirBnB for cars as you rent from owners. We did this last month in Lahaina. Just picked up the car at the owner's house over by the Safeway, key was in it. Some owners will even bring car to the port. 

Thank you. I'll ck them out.

23 hours ago, MoyCoy said:

Oh , I feel silly. I didn't know there were 2 ports in Maui. I am sailing on RCI Ovation of the seas . So it must be Lahaina, I believe. 

In Lahaina there are not as many rental cars as from the Kahului airport which has been reported to result in Lahaina rentals being more expensive.  Based on Google Maps several rental car agencies are located in North Ka’anapali (Honoapi’ilani/Halawai)...Budget, Avis, National & Enterprise.

15 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

In Lahaina there are not as many rental cars as from the Kahului airport which has been reported to result in Lahaina rentals being more expensive.  Based on Google Maps several rental car agencies are located in North Ka’anapali (Honoapi’ilani/Halawai)...Budget, Avis, National & Enterprise.

Is that an Enterprise in the Sheraton that I keep reading about the Hawaii threads? Or is it a separate Enterprise,  which is not in a hotel?

Thank you

On 10/18/2019 at 6:03 PM, PCWalton1 said:

Also on your question of parking there is a large lot behind the cinema where you can park overnight for $15

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Is the cinema walking distance to the port or will I need to take a taxi? Is uber in Hawaii yet?

8 hours ago, MoyCoy said:

Is that an Enterprise in the Sheraton that I keep reading about the Hawaii threads? Or is it a separate Enterprise,  which is not in a hotel?

Thank you

I didn’t check for detailed information...many years ago we were shuttled from the Lahaina Harbor to a Ka’anapali Beach hotel by Enterprise to get a rental car but don’t know the current option.

3F7E1768-E82E-4207-B801-ABFACEEE0ACE.png

Cannot remember if it was National or Enterprise.  I have since thrown away all the paperwork but the location is right across the street from the Sheraton in Kanaapali.  All the car rental outfits are there in the little plaza.  None of them will pick you up.  We took a cab over - $12 dollars.    I believe people have got to return cars by 5 pm but luckily the ship was spending the night, so we parked the car immediately across from the ship in a large parking lot for $24 dollars.   Picked it up the next day and were on our way.  Maui is fabulous.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Hi folks 

We are spending five days in Maui prior to our 7 days cruise on NCL 

I am looking for recommendations for rental car companies where it is quick/ easy to pick up and drop off cars.... even if it requires signing up for their loyalty programs.   Don’t want valuable time in our parts of call to be spent in rental car lines. 

Had as anyone had good experiences w quick pick up and drop off? 

Many thanks! 

4 hours ago, Cruiznuts said:

I am looking for recommendations for rental car companies where it is quick/ easy to pick up and drop off cars.... even if it requires signing up for their loyalty programs.   Don’t want valuable time in our parts of call to be spent in rental car lines. 

Going in and out of the airport in Maui all the major ones are relatively easy to get as they are in any other medium size airport from a pick up and drop off standpoint-- they're all located in a cluster a short shuttle ride away. We rent from Avis while we're there (because of my status) but all the usual suspects are available. 

If you just need to have it for a few days of your 5 day stay, at least with Avis you can also drop it off early at their location in between Kapalua and Kaanapali (near Kapalua Airport). We've sometimes done that to not spend extra money on days we aren't going to use it. For example keeping it the day we were going to drive to Hana and then returning it the next day when we were spending the rest of the time on the island on the beach. They have shuttles you can book back to the airport.