Itinerary options-extra time in Dublin or Glasgow or at sea?

We are looking at a British Isles cruise on the Regal Princess in May, June or August.  The itineraries are the same as far as ports but they differ in that one trip offers an overnight in Dublin, one offers an overnight in Glasgow and one adds an extra sea day instead of an extra day in Dublin or Glasgow.  Not sure how much there is to see in Glasgow, probably could fill the time in Dublin, but an extra sea day with an intensive port itinerary is appealing also.  This is a 12 day trip with the following ports:  Southampton, Guernsey, Cork, Liverpool, Dublin, Glasgow, Belfast, Invergordon, Edinburgh, at sea, Paris, Southampton.  

Having never been to this part of the world, should we do the extra day in Dublin or Glasgow, or enjoy an extra day of relaxing at sea? The extra sea day would be day 8 of a 12 day cruise. 

I would prefer either the Dublin  overnight or the one in Glasgow. Nothing much to see in Glasgow itself but you rent a car and drive to Glencoe and Loch Lomond, maybe even stay overnight and get back to the ship the next day. 

I’d also choose the June or August sailings, May weather could be iffy...

If you look at the Glasgow stop in August it is not a true overnight. The ship leaves at 2am so the next day is actually at sea. The reason for the delayed departure is because people got to Edinburgh for the Military Tattoo from Glasgow. The Edinburgh stop departs at 6 pm- too early to see the Tattoo.

Hope this helps-

• Like 1

I chose the itinerary with the overnight in Dublin when we took our cruise around the British Isles two years ago. We filled both days. The real ports are Cobh for Cork, Greenock for Glasgow, and Le Havre for Paris. Many people on our cruise did excursions to Edinburgh from Greenock so they could go to the Tattoo. Some people chose to stay in the ports rather than do excursions. We took an independent excursion from Cobh to Blarney Castle and Kinsale. We took a train into Glasgow on our own and then did the hop-on/hop-off bus around the city. And we just enjoyed the city of Le Havre. There's a great museum with a ton of Impressionist paintings.

Edited by geoherb

20 hours ago, geoherb said:

I chose the itinerary with the overnight in Dublin when we took our cruise around the British Isles two years ago. We filled both days. The real ports are Cobh for Cork, Greenock for Glasgow, and Le Havre for Paris. Many people on our cruise did excursions to Edinburgh from Greenock so they could go to the Tattoo. Some people chose to stay in the ports rather than do excursions. We took an independent excursion from Cobh to Blarney Castle and Kinsale. We took a train into Glasgow on our own and then did the hop-on/hop-off bus around the city. And we just enjoyed the city of Le Havre. There's a great museum with a ton of Impressionist paintings.

I was on the same cruise as geoherb. (Hi there!) We had both the overnight in Dublin and the late night in Glasgow (actually Greenock) for the Tattoo.

My choice would definitely be an overnight in Dublin over an extra sea day. There's not only a lot to see in Dublin itself, there's also some great day trips from Dublin (e.g. Hill of Tara and Newgrange in County Meath to the north or Powerscourt and Glendalough in County Wicklow to the south). And if you're in Dublin in the evening, you can take in the pubs or other evening entertainment. We've been to both the Evening of Food, Folklore, and Fairies at the Brazen Head and the Irish House Party at the Lansdowne Hotel.

You can sleep when you get home! Enjoy your trip.

Edited by trosebery
  • Like 1