Sooty Britannia is not alone!

snaefell

Before & after our cruise in an aft corner suite on Britania in March 2018 I read many posts about the 'soot' problem which some found more of a problem than others,the impression I got was that this was an unusual problem,fairly unique to Britannia & another reason to beat her with a big stick.

Having just returned from a cruise on RCI's Quantum Of The Seas I can tell you that she is not alone,on our first sea day we were lying on sun beds about 2 thirds down the starboard side when we noticed drops of soot on ourselves,the beds & on the deck around us,this was also found in various other areas of the ship,including the aft buffet eating area where the white tables bore black marks from the same source.

Interesting to hear if other people have noticed this on other ships on their travels.

No soot is not unique on Britannia but it is more unusual on a newer ship. I can’t say that have noticed it on any other newer builds, including RCI however I have not been on Quantum but we had no issues on the Anthem of the Seas.

The older Marella ships belch soot in the right circumstances, QE2 used to be a sooty old lady as well and we have seen soot on Fred on occasions too.

I have not had problems on the other P&O ships but my theory (based on no science whatsoever) is that ships can be fine most of the time but have their moments depending on the weather conditions etc.

I like Britannia but I just would not book an aft cabin.

Doesn’t seem to be a problem on Azura or Ventura - and we invariably take an aft suite.

Just because there’s no visible soot though it doesn’t mean there aren’t high levels of pollution though, and there usually are, whatever the ship, with a few recent exceptions.

No big deal for a couple of weeks, for most people, doubtless, but it is a potential problem for asthmatics and children.

4 hours ago, snaefell said:

Before & after our cruise in an aft corner suite on Britania in March 2018 I read many posts about the 'soot' problem which some found more of a problem than others,the impression I got was that this was an unusual problem,fairly unique to Britannia & another reason to beat her with a big stick.

Having just returned from a cruise on RCI's Quantum Of The Seas I can tell you that she is not alone,on our first sea day we were lying on sun beds about 2 thirds down the starboard side when we noticed drops of soot on ourselves,the beds & on the deck around us,this was also found in various other areas of the ship,including the aft buffet eating area where the white tables bore black marks from the same source.

Interesting to hear if other people have noticed this on other ships on their travels.

It is not unique to Britannia as they have also had soot problems with Royal and Regal Princess which are exactly the same build as Britannia.

We had this just  once in a 17 day cruise on Aurora in Port in Tenerife  , we did not go ashore,  but could use anywhere in front of funnels due to prevailing wind covering front with soot. All the soot must have come down early before we got up. They were cleaning it all day.

Never had any problems when the ship was moving. But due to invisible  polution will now try to be forward of funnels when sitting outside.