Medallion with only Drivers License

tabprincess

Important

U.S. citizens with proper WHTI documents do not require a passport to travel to Grenada or Dominica by cruise ship.

While a passport is always recommended tabPrincess' sister should not be turned away at the pier.

Those traveling to Dominica on a cruise may use another Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document. However, we strongly recommend visitors obtain a passport before travel in case of an unforeseen emergency that requires a cruise passenger to disembark and return by air. 

Prior to departure from the U.S., sea travelers must have a valid U.S. passport or other original proof of U.S. citizenship, such as a certified U.S. birth certificate with a government-issued photo ID.

While a U.S. passport is not mandatory for sea travel, it is recommended since it is a more readily recognized form of positive proof of citizenship

10 hours ago, Daniel1313 said:

Get a Passport....  All of this is ridiculous.... 

44 minutes ago, Daniel1313 said:

Should have got a passport to being with.  Then there would have been no worries...

The cruise leaves tomorrow.   What good does it do to post this now?

Or, do you just like to feel superior?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, skynight said:

Important

U.S. citizens with proper WHTI documents do not require a passport to travel to Grenada or Dominica by cruise ship.

While a passport is always recommended tabPrincess' sister should not be turned away at the pier.

Those traveling to Dominica on a cruise may use another Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document. However, we strongly recommend visitors obtain a passport before travel in case of an unforeseen emergency that requires a cruise passenger to disembark and return by air. 

Prior to departure from the U.S., sea travelers must have a valid U.S. passport or other original proof of U.S. citizenship, such as a certified U.S. birth certificate with a government-issued photo ID.

While a U.S. passport is not mandatory for sea travel, it is recommended since it is a more readily recognized form of positive proof of citizenship

US Customs and Border Protection:

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) are able to enter the United States with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

Princess’ FAQs regarding WHTI documents only for Closed Loop Cruises:

*This information is provided as general guidance. Because governmental travel requirements change periodically, you must check with your travel agent or the government authorities for all countries you will visit to determine or verify the actual requirements at the time of sailing. Princess assumes no responsibility for advising guests of such requirements.

19 hours ago, tabprincess said:

Thanks everyone for all the comments, information and well wishes!  My sister rarely travels as she has a special needs adult child, hence no passport. I guarantee you though,  if she is ever able to travel with me again, I will insist she gets a passport so neither of us has to worry! 

I am done worrying about this now and all packed and ready to fly down tomorrow.

She'll be fine with birth certificate. The cruise ships have a lot of contractual agreements with most Caribbean islands to exempt US residents from needing a passport. The only recent change is Martinique which just started requiring passports from cruise passengers. I wasn't asked for passport in either Aruba or Curacao when I cruised there 2 years ago and there is nothing on Princess website indicating that a passport is required for US citizens on this cruise for any ports in the itinerary. The only place in Caribbean that I have had to have and show a passport was Cuba. You couldn't even board ship and stay onboard at ports without a passport and all cruise documents plainly stated tgat requirement.

• Like 1

Hello everyone from the Crown Princess!  We boarded without ANY problems at all!  My sister can get off at each Island, no problem.  BTW, I love the Medallion!  It is so nice to have the door open without fumbling for the cruise card.  Haven't used much else yet, but that alone is very nice for me.  Check-in was a breeze as well.  Later!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, tabprincess said:

Hello everyone from the Crown Princess!  We boarded without ANY problems at all!  My sister can get off at each Island, no problem.  BTW, I love the Medallion!  It is so nice to have the door open without fumbling for the cruise card.  Haven't used much else yet, but that alone is very nice for me.  Check-in was a breeze as well.  Later!

That's great to hear!  Enjoy the cruise with your sister.  :classic_smile:

• 2 years later...

Its almost 2022 and wondering is the Medallion accepting the Drivers License??? All I see is passport (my friend has no passport) so do we have to wait and take care of this at the port? Or can I just do this on-line (agent says not on-line, only app, really confused)

5 hours ago, cruzcactus said:

Its almost 2022 and wondering is the Medallion accepting the Drivers License??? All I see is passport (my friend has no passport) so do we have to wait and take care of this at the port? Or can I just do this on-line (agent says not on-line, only app, really confused)

Depending on the itinerary (closed loop) your friend may need  a passport.  The Medallion app does not allow for a Drivers License upload.

In todays world, anyone who is going to travel outside of the country should have a passport.  Both of our under 7 year old grandchildren have passports, for goodness sakes!

5 hours ago, cruzcactus said:

The Medallion app has a drop down box for closed loop cruises that allows for the entry of birth certificates.  It's not easy to navigate, but we used it for my daughter.  We had to go through all of the different tabs to even find it.

Cruzcatus. To travel on a closed loop voyage without a passport you must be WHTI compliant. Check out the rules. This generally means for U.S. citizens  a valid government issued ID and an original birth certificate.  Not just a driver's license. If one is forced off the ship due to illness at a foreign port a passport will be required to fly home.