tipping guidelines

russell smith

In tipping the Butler and Concierge, take in consideration what services you ask for and how they are delivered and also what your budget is.  When I first asked, I got answers from nothing to $500. 

I set a dollar figure per day to start with and then add or subtract from it based on what happens on the cruise.  I start with $10 a day for Butler and $5 a day for Concierge, but many have figures a lot less and some have figures a lot more.  An example of how these figures can change, on my last cruise the Butler was ok, but the Concierge was a rock star and he got much more than the Butler got.  Keep in mind that no matter what you tip, they will be very appreciative no matter what the amount is.

Someone in a Haven FB group posted that they directly asked their Haven concierge last week what was an appropriate butler tip and the concierge advised that the usual tip was between $100-$200 per CABIN (not person), depending upon the level of services required.

We sailed in a penthouse suite on the Gem back in August.  We had 2 suites - my 21 YO daughter and her 24 YO BF in one and me and my 6 year old in the other.  It was my first time not being in a balcony.  The first day I gave $100 (per room) to our room steward (because kids) and $100 (per room) to our butler.  I knew we wouldn't be using the concierge so I waited to tip.  

The room steward was VERY grateful and made our trip wonderful (in terms of towel animals / keeping the room clean and stocked with towels etc); our butler initially declined my money.  I insisted, and he was readily available at all times (though we didn't use his services much).  We found he would be in the hallway in the am and pm asking if we needed anything, and he always had a huge smile for us.

I tipped $200/room to the room steward and $100 per room for the butler upon leaving the ship.  I gave $100 to the concierge as we only utilized his services 1x but he came through.  We didn't ask for nor expect much but the woman who took care of our rooms - Helen - was the sweetest, and most hard working person I have come across.  

It's all a personal preference, but I did find tipping in advance was beneficial for my particular situation.  

It is not necessary to tip in advance. Some here feel that is more like a bribe. Of course, it is all up to you! The best advice I ever had was to just wait and enjoy the cruise and about two or three days before the cruise ends you will have a good idea of who to tip and how much. It's so subjective! The most important thing? Enjoy your cruise!

9 minutes ago, russell smith said:

Thank you to everyone for your advice. All of this will help out in our planning. We are sailing on the Gem in an aft penthouse for he first time.

We've done the aft penthouses several times.  There's just the two of us, we have very little need for the services of the butler and concierge but do appreciate that they are available if needed.   I plan for a $100 each on a seven day cruise.  I've gone up or down slightly on one or the other depending on how we eventually used them.  I've always loved our cabin stewards and when in the SF rooms tip them $75 or so at the end of the cruise.  All of those amounts I have always felt very comfortable with.  As someone mentioned, you will get a wide range of suggestions.  Nothing right or wrong with whatever you do.   Also, the last two cruises we've had lots of OBC for some reason.  Instead of giving money to them, I've had the customer desk write vouchers for them.  It then goes directly into their personal on board accounts.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, russell smith said:

Thank you to everyone for your advice. All of this will help out in our planning. We are sailing on the Gem in an aft penthouse for he first time.

Hopefully, you will love the aft penthouse as much as I do....the balconies are awesome.

13 hours ago, saretaj said:

It's all a personal preference, but I did find tipping in advance was beneficial for my particular situation.  

Actually, you can't know that, since you don't know how things would have been if you hadn't "tipped in advance."   😊

• Like 1

13 hours ago, saretaj said:

13 hours ago, valleyvillage said:

It is not necessary to tip in advance. Some here feel that is more like a bribe.

I agree it's personal preference, but I have to add that I'm one of those who consider tipping in advance as an insult as well as a bribe. (The implication being that if I don't tip you in advance you will provide lousy or minimum service and/or you are only motivated by money so let me wave some cash in front of you.)  Either that or it comes across (in my opinion) as a lack of travel experience/tipping culture.  Like "Ummm, never been in any kind of a fancy place before, do I tip you now? 😂

For the past few years I have cruised exclusively in suites or Haven when on NCL and I can honestly say that, while some butlers are better than others, I have never had bad service (I don't tip upfront.)  Every person that I've encountered seemed motivated to do a great job just because that is their work ethic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

I agree it's personal preference, but I have to add that I'm one of those who consider tipping in advance as an insult as well as a bribe. (The implication being that if I don't tip you in advance you will provide lousy or minimum service and/or you are only motivated by money so let me wave some cash in front of you.)  Either that or it comes across (in my opinion) as a lack of travel experience/tipping culture.  Like "Ummm, never been in any kind of a fancy place before, do I tip you now? 😂

For the past few years I have cruised exclusively in suites or Haven when on NCL and I can honestly say that, while some butlers are better than others, I have never had bad service (I don't tip upfront.)  Every person that I've encountered seemed motivated to do a great job just because that is their work ethic.

I'm with you! The only time we ever tipped in advance was when we had the same concierge just a few weeks later and were so happy to see him we felt like giving him a hug and his tip. He was cute, he said oh my! Thank you for my early present!

We agree, never have had bad service. Some better than others but so subjective. I have learned from CC to go straight to concierge if there is a serious issue, but have never had to do that. 

Bon Voyages to ALL!

• Like 1