MSC? so many questions

Hsmama

Please tell me about MSC..... I've never heard of this line, and this would be my 2nd time planning a cruise. How is it for families,or young adults? My only experience has been Holland America,which we liked a lot. thanks

We’ve booked our first cruise for MSC for May 2020.  They are big in the Mediterranean.  Our in-laws took one of their Caribbean cruises and had a great time.  I can’t tell you anything first-hand; just what I’ve read on cruise critic.  “Follow” the thread on MSC and search their boards for specifics.  There are also a lot of you-tube videos you can watch with people doing reviews.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with Seaside having sailed on it twice along with Five other MSC ships, if HAL is anything like Cunard and their ships are the same hull design as Queen Victoria we are happy to stay with MSC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidari said:

Nothing wrong with Seaside having sailed on it twice along with Five other MSC ships, if HAL is anything like Cunard and their ships are the same hull design as Queen Victoria we are happy to stay with MSC.

Surprising comment, Queen Victoria and the other Queens are Ocean Liners not cruise ships, so hull design is totally different.

OP.........HAL is comparable to Celebrity probably 4+star whilst MSC are rated 3star but offer good value for your money. MSC are European which is very different to the typical American cruise lines with mostly non English speaking passengers. Food generally is of a lower quality and standard, suggest you read a cross section of CC cruise reviews to get a better understanding.

Edited by Jossie1960

9 minutes ago, Jossie1960 said:

Surprising comment, Queen Victoria and the other Queens are Ocean Liners not cruise ships, so hull design is totally different.

OP.........HAL is comparable to Celebrity probably 4+star whilst MSC are rated 3star but offer good value for your money. MSC are European which is very different to the typical American cruise lines with mostly non English speaking passengers. Food generally is of a lower quality and standard, suggest you read a cross section of CC cruise reviews to get a better understanding.

We have sailed on Queen Victoria and like Queen Elizabeth they are both cruise ships, only Queen Mary 2 is an actual Cruise Liner with a strengthened hull.

The two mentioned above use the same hull as HAL ships.

The P and O ship Arcadia was built as the Queen Victoria but Carnival decided that size wise a larger ship was required to be the Q.V.

Edited by sidari

OP:

You’ll want to read up on how MSC classifies its rooms and levels of service (including availability of various dining options) by “experiences”, e.g. Bellisima, Aurea etc.  there is nothing to dislike about it, but it is different so make sure you understand it. Also, depending on your budget, there is a very high category called Yacht Club which is amazing - like a private ship within a larger ship. 

we have sailed both Divina and Seaside twice (Caribbean sailings) and loved it 

15 hours ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

My 1st cruise was on HAL to AK I loved it. The food & service was awesome. My 75 year old mom was a little bored.

I'm sailing on the Mera YC not the Seaside why is that the wrong choice? 

it is not the wrong choice. YC is never a wrong choice!

• Thanks 1

Just finished my third cruise on MSC. Got off the Seaside last week. Thoroughly enjoyed everything about the ship and may do the Mera in December. I have also been on HAL four times and found the food to be very salty. The food on the Seaside was very good as well as the service. Saw a lot of innovations on the Seaside that I have not seen in other places.