CANCEL NOW TO WATCH FOR BETTER SALE/PROMOTION

Charles48

Our family of nine (four cabins) would like to cancel our Caribbean cruise leaving on Feb. 2nd and switch to the March 1st saling. The rates for cabins are higher on March 1st, plus we would lose several perks of the current promotion such as free tips and OBC. I was thinking that perhaps we should cancel this sailing, then watch how quickly the cabins are selling for that March 1st saling, and hope for a good promotion where we don't lose all those things. I've read how right before the final payment date there are several cancelations, so that would be early December for this new saling.  I understand that we may not get the same cabin. Are there other things that we could/should be thinking about? We are using a travel agent and hopefully she will be helpful in all of this. THANKS A LOT!!!

IMO.....

Needing 4 cabins would be a big risk to wait too long. 
Even when I book I wait as late as possible but I never expect any promos that close to sailing especially after final.

I have found that cabins are available 1 minute and I may check again within an hour or 2 and the ship is sold out and I am SOL.

Most Princess cruises sellout especially 

Spring break!!

• Like 2

There may be a lower price after final payment, but no perks, plus your 4 cabins most likely will be spread all over the ship.

In the end, only you know what's most important to you.....but also consider the other 8 people traveling with you, and how they might feel.

If you definitely want to change cruise dates, I think you should go ahead and switch your bookings to the new cruise date and select the cabins you want. If a new promotion comes along you can call Princess, or your TA if you booked that way, and ask to rebook under the new terms. That way you will be able to keep the cabins you selected. You may have to decide whether you want to change dates badly enough to pay the increased cost if no price decreases come along.

Princess usually has similar promotions annually.  For example sip and sale is every summer. Landmark is next.   3 for free is in the fall (or whenever - this is an example only not meant to be accurate).  And so on. They are usually for sailings a lot farther ahead, not for last minute sailings. Check with your travel agent if anything is expected to start.  

Closer to final payment date prices may drop but only if the ship is not selling.  They may have last minute sales if ships aren't full.  But these are price drops only - not with promos (what I recall).  

If it is selling the prices will only go up and up. 

Now that most sales have NONrefundable deposits, fewer folks cancel before final payment date so no guarantee that cabins will suddenly become available.  

Also is your current booking with refundable or non deposits?

I too think that if you all want to switch do a full calculation of how much more the different date will cost you to ensure you are all ok with it.  Check the new sailing for availability.  If you want to do it then actually book it.  If you don't, you may end up with no cruise at all.  

You don't have to lose "free gratuities".  Just have them removed from your onboard account.  Just kidding.  Don't flame me.  Add the additional cabin rate, any difference in tax and port fees, any lost guaranteed deposit, and the promotional items that you will end up having to pay for.  Also consider travel costs like airfare differences if you are flying.  If that amount justifies moving the date out, do it now.  That March price will only go up from here.  And might even disappear.  I doubt there will be any additional promotions for that March cruise that pop up between now and then.  The one exception is that if there is a certain cabin type like a balcony that isn't selling well, it might drop in price temporarily.  But not likely.

If the group really wants to change the date, then sure, I would cancel and rebook (with a refundable deposit). Then, keep an eye out for a better fare and if something better comes up, refare, but the likelihood of that happening seems complicated. Everyone needs to be willing to at best pay the current fare. 

If the current price is acceptable, go ahead and book now. When DH taught at a community college, I'd frequently watch prices on several different cruises. We were able to go many times during his spring breaks. But some years, the prices kept going up and up and we ended up staying home. It's especially true if there's only one possible cruise that you want to take.

I'd first book the new cruise and cancel after I've locked cabins for the alternative date; then as others have recommended, watch for new specials.  If you are rescheduling so your pals can join you, can they book a Minisuite, delux balcony or other cabin option?  It might be cheaper for them to pay for an upgraded cabin than it is for you to lose all those OBCs and lower fares etc.