Sailing the Summit out of San Juan . . .

CruzerDeb

Sounds like I can just drop off my luggage without boarding and then board later; and need to be on board by 4:00 to get settled in and be on time for muster.  Is that right?

Or, I could see if my hotel will hold my luggage while I explore and then do luggage/board later.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by CruzerDeb

3 hours ago, CruzerDeb said:

Or, I could see if my hotel will hold my luggage while I explore and then do luggage/board later.

This would get my vote. It's far more efficient than the time spent getting to, then from, then back to Pan American Pier.

• Like 2

Muster was at 7:30 - 7:45 on the Summit in January. As it has been on our other Summit cruises from San Juan that left at 8:30.

They also do a make-up muster drill for those who miss the pre-sail drill. 

If you want to just drop off your bags and not check in you can certainly do that as early as 10:30 but you want to make sure your meds and valuables, and especially your boarding docs on not in your checked luggage.

Have a great cruise.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ozark74 said:

Boarding will still start about 11:00 am as long as there are no problems. The lifeboat drill is at 4:45. As someone already said you have to use a taxi to go anywhere. Better to board later and stay onboard.

I agree.  Much better than wasting your time traveling back and forth just to drop off luggage.

For sailaway, be out on the port side of the ship to catch the wonderful panoramic views along the city's waterfront as the Summit slowly backs out of the bay. 

It is really attractive, cruising past the buildings and docks and boats, seeing them all illuminated at night.

Then after the ship turns around and starts moving forward, cross over to the starboard side for a glimpse of El Morro  as you sail past it, although lately it has mostly been in the dark as they haven't been doing a very good job of lighting up the fort at night.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CruzerDeb said:

Sounds like I can just drop off my luggage without boarding and then board later; and need to be on board by 4:00 to get settled in and be on time for muster.  Is that right?

Thanks for your help!

I’ve sailed out of SAN Juan dozens of times and if you want to tour this is the best bet.

The crazy that is the Pan Am Pier can be for several hours around the start of boarding is legendary

By late afternoon Uber or Taxis breeze in 

Edited by A Sixth?

9 hours ago, alcpa1 said:

Muster was at 7:30 - 7:45 on the Summit in January. As it has been on our other Summit cruises from San Juan that left at 8:30.

They also do a make-up muster drill for those who miss the pre-sail drill. 

If you want to just drop off your bags and not check in you can certainly do that as early as 10:30 but you want to make sure your meds and valuables, and especially your boarding docs on not in your checked luggage.

Have a great cruise.

Not this year. We were on for the month of January and the drill was at 4:45 on both cruises.

On our January 2018 cruise out of San Juan scheduled departure was 8.30pm but incoming flights were affected by the blizzard further North. We delayed departure by at least a couple of hours (it was a sea day the next day so no time pressure) to wait for some of the flights but some folk only caught up with the ship on day 3.  4.30 does feel tight if there are any hold-ups along the way - and I agree San Juan is an interesting city to explore. 

Sailed Summit this past January 2019.  Arrived in SJU a day early and spent departure day on the beach.  Arrived at port around 4pm and breezed on with no wait at all......BUT almost missed the 4:45 muster drill.  

Crazy to have it hours before departure!  From the roll call during the drill it was obvious that many were missing.  Ship was in port early for the following 10 straight days....so don't know when the make-up was??

Just be sure to know the "Drop Dead" time to be aboard.  Because it's a departure port, customs rules are different than a mid-cruise port.  Be sure to know the all-aboard time, regardless of when you check in.