Help Please with Probable No Show

bury me at sea

Is there any negative aspect of having a no show other than forfeiture of the cruise fare?

I need to make a decision today and my TA strongly advised against booking a two person cabin thinking only one could go (has to be Early Saver so no way to make a name change later).

I would sure appreciate some help and advice.

2 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

my TA strongly advised against booking a two person cabin thinking only one could go (has to be Early Saver so no way to make a name change later).

No matter what you'd be paying the single supplement charge for one guest occupying the cabin which is almost the exact same price as double occupancy. Wouldn't you receive the taxes and fees back anyway with a no-show? I tested this out with the Horizon, and for Dec 6th 2020 and the total for two guests was $1597 and the total for one guest was $1467. Taxes and fees are $129 which also is the difference between double and single occupancy pricing.

• Like 1

My son was a no-show on a family cruise several years ago.  He was unable to get time off work at the last minute.  We forfeited the entire cost of his fare.  We were 5 in a family cabin, and ended up being just 4.  Besides the sting of the cost, there were no other consequences. 

• Like 1

Thanks to all of you.  I am still looking at options but so far booking a probable no-show looks like the best way to go.

And thanks to you, Shaded Lady.  Life throws us some curve balls and my normal reaction when a ball is coming toward me is to duck!  So far this option looks like the least painful.  Just want to be sure forfeiture of cabin fare for one is the only negative ramification.

What ever you do don’t cancel the second person last minute. We went through that in June. Even though we were completely paid in full, had we cancelled one person we would of had to pay an additional 1000.00 yeah crazy. So I was going to do the noise show thing. Last minute rates went down and was able to put all the money we had paid towards my fair.

16 minutes ago, cruisinmeme said:

What ever you do don’t cancel the second person last minute. We went through that in June. Even though we were completely paid in full, had we cancelled one person we would of had to pay an additional 1000.00 yeah crazy. So I was going to do the noise show thing. Last minute rates went down and was able to put all the money we had paid towards my fair.

I'm not sure I totally understand your post.  Are you saying canceling prior to sailing causes re-pricing the sailing passenger at then current rates?  That was my understandung of the policy.

I want to know if a no-show at port changes the rate for the remaining passenger, or has any other unexpected changes.

Not sure if this will help... a friend didn't enter his wife's name on their reservation for months after booking their cruise.  Maybe you could just not put in the 2nd guest's name and hope you can find someone who is sure to go.  Otherwise, I've read several threads where people highly advise just letting 2nd guest be a "no show"

5 hours ago, bury me at sea said:

Is there any negative aspect of having a no show other than forfeiture of the cruise fare?

I need to make a decision today and my TA strongly advised against booking a two person cabin thinking only one could go (has to be Early Saver so no way to make a name change later).

I would sure appreciate some help and advice.

Just an FYI, if you book a cruise directly on Carnival’s website, you only have to provide one name per cabin even for an ES rate. 

5 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Just an FYI, if you book a cruise directly on Carnival’s website, you only have to provide one name per cabin even for an ES rate. 

I have taken advantage of this to book 4 person rooms and then wait to see who will go later. Worked out great.

So if my 3rd person in room doesn't show up will they refund me the gratuities I pre-paid for the cabin? Or should i just not pre-pay that and do to the cust services desk and get it added to just the main 2 that got on the boat?

45 minutes ago, ccd228 said:

So if my 3rd person in room doesn't show up will they refund me the gratuities I pre-paid for the cabin? Or should i just not pre-pay that and do to the cust services desk and get it added to just the main 2 that got on the boat?

If you do a no show Carnival will refund port fees and gratuities if you prepaid them after the cruise. It will be credited however you paid for it. If you used gift cards you will get another gift card sent to you for the refund. If you paid via credit card you will get a credit to your account.

13 hours ago, bury me at sea said:

I'm not sure I totally understand your post.  Are you saying canceling prior to sailing causes re-pricing the sailing passenger at then current rates?  That was my understandung of the policy.

I want to know if a no-show at port changes the rate for the remaining passenger, or has any other unexpected changes.

It doesn't happen often.  If the booking has two in the room and one is cancelled, Carnival will keep the cruise fare of the 2nd passenger in the room.  Carnival COULD then charge you for the solo supplement since you now only have one person in the room.  To make matters worse, if you're past final payment and don't pay immediately, they COULD cancel your reservation completely for non-payment.  Needless to say, the best course of action is no-show.

13 hours ago, ccd228 said:

To be clear, they will refund the gratuities that you paid FOR THAT PERSON, not for the entire cabin.  If you do not pre-pay gratuities, they will automatically add them to your S&S account on board.

18 hours ago, bury me at sea said:

Yes what happen to me would of been a reprice deal and total cost for one person was 1,000. More than I already paid for two so a no show it would have to be. Husband did get back port charges, taxes and prepaid tips ( all at the rate/amount he paid) also his two cancelled excursions. I decided to cancel one of my excursions because I didn’t want to do t with random strangers. I did cancel as soon as I got on board.

6 hours ago, buckeyefrank said:

It doesn't happen often.  If the booking has two in the room and one is cancelled, Carnival will keep the cruise fare of the 2nd passenger in the room.  Carnival COULD then charge you for the solo supplement since you now only have one person in the room.  To make matters worse, if you're past final payment and don't pay immediately, they COULD cancel your reservation completely for non-payment.  Needless to say, the best course of action is no-show.

Though it isn't ideal, I decided to book 1 three person cabin instead of 2 two-person cabins.  If passenger 4 decides to go he'll have to make his own arrangements.

I truly appreciate the input from everyone.