Marina Amsterdam to Lisbon Cruise Review with Lots of Photos and Menus

MVPinBoynton

I have just posted a review to my website with lots of photos of a recently completed European cruise on the Oceania Marina.  It visited ports in Amsterdam, England, France, Spain and Portugal.  I also spent 3 days before the cruise in Amsterdam and 3 days after the cruise in Lisbon.  As a result, it is a very long review.  I also have the menus from the restaurants and lounges.

This is my first cruise without my darling Carol, who I lost to Cancer in March.  I was apprehensive about cruising on my own.   But I was truly blessed that my son, Craig, was able to take time off to go on this cruise with me.  It made it a very special cruise and most enjoyable.

The 12 -day cruise had no sea days, which meant that we didn’t have that much time on the ship in the daytime. But it was still a great cruise with an awesome itinerary with perfect weather most of the time.  The O class ships are my favorites of the 53 cruises I have been on.  They never disappoint me.

The review is located on my website, which is linked to in my signature.  You can also just Google “Mike and Carols Cruise Reviews” to find a link to it.  I hope it is helpful for those of you that are planning a vacation to this amazing part of the world; or that it brings back some fond memories to those of you who have been able to visit these places.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Mike - an excellent review and wonderful pictures - as always.

I particularly enjoyed this trip report as we have just returned from river cruises on Douro and Garone - visiting most of the places you have visited - it was quite familiar and brought back many memories. Thanks.

I only wish my pictures were as nice as yours 😀

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Mike - an excellent review and wonderful pictures - as always.

I particularly enjoyed this trip report as we have just returned from river cruises on Douro and Garone - visiting most of the places you have visited - it was quite familiar and brought back many memories. Thanks.

I only wish my pictures were as nice as yours 😀

Thanks.  It is a gorgeous area.  I wish I could include higher resolution photos in the review, but it would make the review take even longer to load than it already does.  

Mike, thank you for posting your review and usual excellent photos, which I am still enjoying. Please accept my sympathies on the loss of your dear Carol. I lost my dear husband and travel partner in March also. Since I will be taking my first cruise without him in January, I was encouraged by your review. I was pleased that you enjoyed the experience as much as you did. This gives me hope, also. Best wishes and happy sailing in the future!

Donna

• Like 2

Wonderful review. Please accept my sympathy on the loss of your wife. I too lost may husband and travel partner March 2018. Traveling now is different but still a wonderful adventure. Just completed a 12 day road trip in June in Iceland with 3 friends and had a magnificent time. I am glad you a had a great time and hope you continue on this travel journey.

• Like 3

Mike, Thank you so much for your review, I have been anxiously awaiting it. I have so enjoyed reading about and seeing your adventures with Carol. What a treat to share this travel adventure with your son as a wonderful way to embark on a new kind of travel experience. My condolences for the loss of your beloved wife. How fortunate to have so many cherished memories and now the courage, strength and wanderlust to continue with something you both loved and shared. I am sure she would be glad that you continue to live life to the fullest. All my best, Clare

• Like 1

Mike:  So sorry to hear about Carol.  My deepest sympathies.  I have your website bookmarked but don't even need to hunt thru to find it since I have its name memorized anyway.  Your photo essays are the best.  Janet and I have done as you did, using mostly Celebrity early on but shifting up some to Oceania and others more recently; it so happens we booked Marina for a trip from Athens to Venice next year so this particular essay will be great for us and our traveling companions.  Thank you for what you do.  John 

Edited by jan-n-john
  • Like 1

For some reason I didn't receive notifications that there were any replies to this post, so I am just now catching up.  Thank you so much for all the lovely comments.  They are appreciated.  I currently have 3 cruises and two land tours booked over the next 10 months.  Shortly after I lost Carol, I heard a statement from someone who had lost someone they loved - "If I don't make new memories the old are going to kill me".  I am trying to make as many new ones as I can, so that the old ones don't hurt as much.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, MVPinBoynton said:

Shortly after I lost Carol, I heard a statement from someone who had lost someone they loved - "If I don't make new memories the old are going to kill me".  I am trying to make as many new ones as I can, so that the old ones don't hurt as much.

Mike  what a great statement  to live by

My sister is doing the same since she lost her DH suddenly in April

Enjoy  the rest of your trips

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Mike  what a great statement  to live by

My sister is doing the same since she lost her DH suddenly in April

Enjoy  the rest of your trips

I think it is.  I just looked it up and it was said by Kathie Lee Gifford after she lost her husband.  It certainly made sense to me when I heard it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MVPinBoynton said:

I am trying to make as many new ones as I can, so that the old ones don't hurt as much.

That is a great philosophy and also a reality check as none of us have any guarantees for the future.

Live every day to the fullest 😃

• Like 4

My sincere condolences on your loss.  As is said in my tradition: “May her memory always be for a blessing.”

I very much enjoyed reading your detailed review and viewing your excellent photos.  We visited many of the same ports two years ago on an Oceania Barcelona to London cruise and also very much enjoyed our time in Lisbon, Oporto, Bilbao and Bordeaux.  We also love the larger “O” ships Riviera and Marina and try to sail on one of them annually.

• Like 2

On 10/28/2019 at 10:59 PM, CintiPam said:

My sincere condolences on your loss.  As is said in my tradition: “May her memory always be for a blessing.”

I very much enjoyed reading your detailed review and viewing your excellent photos.  We visited many of the same ports two years ago on an Oceania Barcelona to London cruise and also very much enjoyed our time in Lisbon, Oporto, Bilbao and Bordeaux.  We also love the larger “O” ships Riviera and Marina and try to sail on one of them annually.

Thanks, I like that statement.

My deepest condolences Mike on  the loss of beloved Carol. 
I have always enjoyed your wonderful in depth reviews and beautiful pictures. 

We will be cruising on Oceania Riviera next month; our first O cruise on the larger ship. Nice to see the difference from the smaller O ships which we have cruised on numerous times. Looking forward to experiencing the many more venues onboard. 

Wishing you many more enjoyable cruises. 

Fantastic review. I will be taking my first Oceania cruise on the Marina this summer. Although we are going to the Baltics, it was great to see photos of the ship and rooms, etc.

My condolences on the loss of your wife. 

Mike you have my deepest condolences of your beloved wife Carol. I have been reading your reviews and enjoying your pictures for years.  You have inspired me and my husband on taking more than one trip after reading your comprehensive reports. So happy you were able to continue to travel and share your trip with your son.

We will be on our first Oceania cruise in Feb and on Marina. After your review I feel I know more what to expect. This is a great time to thank you for the detailed reviews and how much we appreciate the time and detail you put into them. Even without Carol you did a wonderful job.

Last year when we finished our river cruise I had my knee replaced. I no longer could keep up with my husband. We walked alot but I had pain with each step. I hope you get relief. With all you have planned it would be hard to fit a replacement in.

Enjoy the many memories you have with Carol. I hope to see you someday in person and thank you for your awesome reviews and pictures. Keep traveling!